Jul 4, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone. We are now retired and have been caravanning on and off for the last 40 years. We have just taken delivery of a "new to us" Swift Challenger 580 se and have a question regarding the 20 watt solar panel that comes with it. I have been told this is wired straight to the Sargent power unit. I want to upgrade this to 100 watt. Any comments on doing this would be appreciated

ATB Nick (Seawolfgb)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Seawolf. Welcome to the forum. I am no help to you on your question but I am sure someone on here will have an idea. Keep posting anyway.
Mel

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome seawolfgb,

Not much help, but I fitted 120 watts solar to my van. It was linked to the Sargent unit. But not as a controller. Just to indicate how much solar power was being put into the battery.

I did call Sargent, as, (from memory). The instructions said 100watts max. Sargent told me that 120 would not be a problem.

So I advise that you have the Sargent units number to hand and call Sargent and ask them. They are very helpful.

John

Reactions: mjh73
Jul 4, 2023
Visit site
Welcome seawolfgb,

Not much help, but I fitted 120 watts solar to my van. It was linked to the Sargent unit. But not as a controller. Just to indicate how much solar power was being put into the battery.

I did call Sargent, as, (from memory). The instructions said 100watts max. Sargent told me that 120 would not be a problem.

So I advise that you have the Sargent units number to hand and call Sargent and ask them. They are very helpful.

John
Thanks John for the advise. I am wondering wether to put it throught the Sargent unit or use its own controller and then straight to the battery?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks John for the advise. I am wondering wether to put it throught the Sargent unit or use its own controller and then straight to the battery?
I may be wrong, but I don't think the Sargent caravan unit had an in-built controller, (at least the one I had). It just reported the solar charge. which my controller did as well. At least they matched.

John

Jul 4, 2023
Visit site
Cheers John. As a precaution I have sent the following questions to swift technical team (including my chassis number) :
I want to add a roof mounted 100- or 120-Watt panel and I have the following questions:

1. Can I leave the 20 watt on there and just mount the other and run it through a separate regulator direct to the battery?
  2. Or can I replace the 20 watt panel with the 120 watt one and wire that in to the Sargent unit?
  3. Are there any restrictions on wattage in to the Sargent unit?
  4. Are there any weight restrictions on what size panel I can mount on the roof ( I am aware of payload restrictions ) ?
Hopefully that will clarify the situation before I buy 100 0r 120 watt panel. All the best, Nick

Jul 4, 2023
Visit site
Welcome seawolfgb,

John
Did just that John and they confirmed that. Also said I could use both, one with it's own controller and one rto the Sargent unit. Cheers, Nick

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts