New mot rules

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Right, I'm just back from the test centre with a fresh MOT Cert in my possession.

"Obviously on an mot fail you get a free retest , at least you know they work and I'd be watching in the viewing gallery this time !! " - Nope, cost me £18.00.

"Just bowl up with the caravan and the MoT centre will be desperate to move you on and free up the area, then a quick flash of the hazards, tap the brake and away you go." - The thought had crossed my mind :p

I had a good chat with the Examiner and he demonstrated that his kit didn't appear to have any faults, ie no flickering, so he couldn't give me the benefit of doubt due to the well publicised CANBus isues. He showed me the kit he was using and the results it was showing. It had more lights on it than the Sealey I have just bought which is also VOSA approved. He also said that he was only licensed to test using the kit he had been supplied with, although he was prepared to look at what mine showed. His included an LED for the high level Brake Light as well as the two side ones. While the high level one was lighting up on his test kit the side ones weren't. My Sealey kit only has one LED for the brakes and that showed the brake connection through the socket to be working fine.

I did ask the obvious question as to why other testing methods weren't used such as using a Trailer Light Bar connected to the socket, after all they check the operation of the rear lights by looking at them via a mirror on the wall. He agreed that that might seem a sensible solution, but the means of testing is mandated by VOSA/DVSA and requires the tester to do so from the driver's seat via the VOSA approved kit.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Lappy said:
Hi Parksy,
I was aware of the OP with the car being at the test centre.
The point I was trying to raise, was why pay £56 on a tester. Surely you would check your lights every time you hitch up and therefore would be aware of any lights that were not working.
If it was the battery charger, or fridge feed that picked up a fault with the 13pin connector, would this still be classed as a fail?
This is where I think I'm missing the point and seek guidance.
Regards,

I would tend to agree with your question. I do know that the socket is working correctly because we check the operation of the lights every time we hitch up the caravan. Unfortunately the MOT tester can't take my word for it and might not appreciate me turning up to his test centre with the caravan in tow. (In any case, I'm not sure the rig would fit within the yellow lines in the test centre within which he has to conduct the test). I got the tester in the hope that, as it was also VOSA approved it would allow the tester to accept it as evidence that the socket was working properly.

As far as I am aware (and I do know that there is an MOT Tester on the Forum) while some test kits will also pick up issues with the 12 volt live feed and reversing lights, these are not currently within the scope of the MOT Test.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
Right, I'm just back from the test centre with a fresh MOT Cert in my possession.

"Obviously on an mot fail you get a free retest , at least you know they work and I'd be watching in the viewing gallery this time !! " - Nope, cost me £18.00.

"Just bowl up with the caravan and the MoT centre will be desperate to move you on and free up the area, then a quick flash of the hazards, tap the brake and away you go." - The thought had crossed my mind :p

I had a good chat with the Examiner and he demonstrated that his kit didn't appear to have any faults, ie no flickering, so he couldn't give me the benefit of doubt due to the well publicised CANBus isues. He showed me the kit he was using and the results it was showing. It had more lights on it than the Sealey I have just bought which is also VOSA approved. He also said that he was only licensed to test using the kit he had been supplied with, although he was prepared to look at what mine showed. His included an LED for the high level Brake Light as well as the two side ones. While the high level one was lighting up on his test kit the side ones weren't. My Sealey kit only has one LED for the brakes and that showed the brake connection through the socket to be working fine.

I did ask the obvious question as to why other testing methods weren't used such as using a Trailer Light Bar connected to the socket, after all they check the operation of the rear lights by looking at them via a mirror on the wall. He agreed that that might seem a sensible solution, but the means of testing is mandated by VOSA/DVSA and requires the tester to do from the driver's seat via the VOSA approved kit.

Thank you for your update. So what was the basis for the Examiner now issuing an MOT if his test equipment still showed a fault ? Will he be reporting back to VOSA that this elements of the test can produce inconsistencies?

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I think he was prepared to accept that my (VOSA) approved kit was not showing a fault, but also that his kit WAS showing something going through in respect of the rear brakes.

I think you raise an intesting point in that last year the exact same set up passed its MOT through a different garage. I am concerned that getting through the MOT may depend on which garage you choose, and which kit they are using.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rather than pollute this thread. I have responded to a comment by lappy which caught my eye.

Lappy said:
Thanks for adding the link to the MoT testing of the towbar.
The point I was trying to make, was how often do people need to check the tightness of the bolts.

I don't check my caravan wheels, as they have WSL bolts fitted.
I do not check the road wheels of the car, as once they have been tightened to the correct torque figure and rechecked after a few miles (20) they should not need to be rechecked.
If I have wrongly assumed the need for rechecking is excessive, then I hold my hand up.

The same thing goes for nose weight, once is enough and you just need to remember what you have and don't add to it. The front locker should only be used as intended, which is the storage of Gas bottles and a few bits and bobs. I've seen some people with more stuff in their front locker, than there is in their wife's handbag
Regards,

See new thread here

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/towing-driving-and-safety/57417-frequency-of-nose-load-checks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts