New M'Way 80mph limit.

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Just watched the local BBC news and they report that serious consideration is to be given to REDUCING the speed limit on the M1 adjacent to Sheffield to 50MPH for environmetal reasons........other large and built up areas will no doubt follow....I hope

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
You never mentioned motorways or even dual carriageways.

May be current peers of the realm went to sub standard public schools
smiley-wink.gif
Lord B did you not notice the huge big blue subject title, top of page as it reads "NEW M'WAY 80MPH LIMIT"
You should try reading the subject title and what was posted at the start of the section, rather than read all the rubbish and flipantjibes suggesting that I or others who would like to see more sensible higher limits on some roads are some kind of motoring hooligans.
What I posted was in relation to my initial posts. I was never suggesting hooligan driving or racing past schools at 70mp in a 30mph limit or taking Dartmoor roads or Cornish lanes at 80mph plus. As others have tried to corrupt what I said and sleight my driving when they have no knowledge of my time behind a driving wheel at least have the decency to catch up Lord B
smiley-wink.gif

The M1 past Sheffield is mainly twin lane flyover motorway section. We've been using it for 12 years since our daughter moved to Yorkshire! The secion of road often suffers from high winds and as three lans narrow to two It is very often slow progres through that section of M1. In fact we can't remember the last time we went through at over 50mph apart from when we've travelled late at night.
So I wouldn't get excited about that proposal as it makes good sense until the road can be upgraded or re routed.

Lord B, you should also be old enough to remember when the speed limit was reduced to 60mph on dual carriageways back in the 70's due to the oil crisis or some drivel. No one bothered very much then and they gave in policing it and upped the speed to 70mph. Numerous roads have been reduced to 50 mph limits from 60 in our area and the accident rate has gone up as it has done in other areas. Reducing speed limits does not improve accident rates when the limits are not suitable.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
May be current peers of the realm went to sub standard public schools
smiley-wink.gif
Lord B did you not notice the huge big blue subject title, top of page as it reads "NEW M'WAY 80MPH LIMIT"
You should try reading the subject title and what was posted at the start of the section, rather than read all the rubbish and flipantjibes suggesting that I or others who would like to see more sensible higher limits on some roads are some kind of motoring hooligans.
What I posted was in relation to my initial posts.

Good morning Om
smiley-smile.gif

Yes, despite my eyes being not as good as a few years ago I was totally aware of what the OP heading was
smiley-wink.gif

Considering since your OP you have posted about Spanish bullfighting, home building, pedestrians, cyclists, railway travel, plus the many sub human categories that individuals of these islands fall into according to the book Oms Classification of the Human Individual. As ordinary roads had been mentioned before and you made no mention of motorways in the part of your post I highlighted I saw no wrong in pointing out your error. Silly mistake though because Om doesn't do error or wrong
smiley-smile.gif

Regarding my education and schooling then yes, it was a comprehensive secondary but this school obviously excelled more in English grammar than the private school you, your goodself, attended ..... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This is an internet `chat` forum and not a good English guide.
My other points were to trying to clarify that I was not proposing blanket speed limit increases as others including you seem to suggest or think. Your posts Lord B and others decided suggesting that supporting a change to some limits is a life threatening move and the ideals of a poor hooligan style of driver who races around breaking every speed limit. On some roads 60mph limits should be reduced to 50 or even 40mph or 30 to 20mph. But there is no good valid reason for some limits to be raised, or for 80mph or more to be set on some Motorways or sections of dual carriageway.
Some of us didn’t spend a lot of time at schoo and some of you posts aren’t too hot Lord B
smiley-wink.gif

If other people want to travel by public transport that is fine by me. I value my personal space and I don’t want to stand on trains or buses and smell others (no matter how sweet or bad they smell) or play footsie with strangers whilst knocking knees with them in cramped seating.

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
OmOnWeelz................What ARE you going on about.......almost none of what you say makes ANY sense. You are constantly contradicting yourself and try without much success to belittle anyone who dares to disagree with your daft views...get out more in your caravan and enjoy yourself like the rest of us instead of banging on about something thats NEVER going to happen anyway

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Do I assume that you can’t connect to the internet from your caravan Brightmore
smiley-laughing.gif
It's a little cold today but we have a lovely view across fields and I've just put the awning up to try out a zip repair and modification I've made.
Just to clarify it for you Brightmore, the 80mph proposal is a current and very recent government and DofT proposal. Whatever you may care to think, there are good well founded reasons to have some higher speed limits and that is accepted by many from safety lobbies, police and is also supported by research. Changing to a higher speed limit on some sections of roads are also being proposed for economic and improved traffic flow reasons and could also benefit pollution and air quality levels.
It’s not like they are my proposals Brightmore I’ve just noted them and can accept the reason for the need for change and reassessment of older themes and thinking. I don’t understand where you get “never” from when the points have been on the cards for a number of years and are now even closer to fruition as changing the road speed laws is now being seriously considered.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As the topic has now reached the point of repetition and starting to degenerate into personalities, it is time to call a halt.

Unless any NEW and astounding decision is made by the Government then there is really nothing more to be said.

The topic does not need to know which forms of transport the OP likes or dislikes, or how long his list of dislikes is.

Any more irrelevant posts will be removed and, depending on circumstances, the topic may well be locked.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
As the topic has now reached the point of repetition and starting to degenerate into personalities, it is time to call a halt.

Unless any NEW and astounding decision is made by the Government then there is really nothing more to be said.

The topic does not need to know which forms of transport the OP likes or dislikes, or how long his list of dislikes is.

Any more irrelevant posts will be removed and, depending on circumstances, the topic may well be locked.
Damian
The banter has been most entertaining especially hearing Om's self opinionated rants. However IMO he is entitled to his say and so far I doubt anyone on here is particularly upset by his views , distorted or whatever. That's what make sthe Forum so much fun.
What is wrong my old dog is to bring that Iron Fist down again and start Moderating where perhaps with hindsight Moderating is not really necessary.
In the final analysis whether I or others think Om is a to$$er saying rubbish is irrelevant. He is entitled to a view and the threads always go off at tangents now and then.
If you feel you really need to lock this thread or delete it in its entirety then that will be a very poor reflection on sensibility.
Your call.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dusty, all I have said is that it is starting to get personal, with smileys used to try and make sarcastic comments "acceptable".
It has always been the stance that when things get personal it is time to call a halt.
I have not said that the topic will be deleted, just keep personalities out of it.

I have no wish to remove topics, but some posters really should think before hitting the Save button

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Dusty, all I have said is that it is starting to get personal, with smileys used to try and make sarcastic comments "acceptable".
It has always been the stance that when things get personal it is time to call a halt.
I have not said that the topic will be deleted, just keep personalities out of it.

I have no wish to remove topics, but some posters really should think before hitting the Save button
Thanks Damian
That is most reassuring.
Let the thread run.
I don't think anyone is particularly offended. Well there's only two of them and I for one am having a great laugh at their expense .
You know the old saying "Only fools rush in " and I'd like to think you and I are NOT the fools.
smiley-cool.gif
Yes I'm cool here
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Thanks Damian
That is most reassuring.
Let the thread run.
I don't think anyone is particularly offended. Well there's only two of them and I for one am having a great laugh at their expense .
You know the old saying "Only fools rush in " and I'd like to think you and I are NOT the fools.
smiley-cool.gif
Yes I'm cool here
smiley-laughing.gif

We seem to be heading back to the old familiar situation whereby one or two opinionated forum users start to post what at first appear to be reasonable comments until others challenge or disagree with what they believe to be true.
This is where the problems start as far as moderators are concerned.

It's all very entertaining and great fun for those watching but either Damian or myself have to devote a fair amount of time to monitor the topic.

If we intervene to put the brakes on things the 'protagonist' immediately tries to turn things round so that the hapless mod starts to be blamed. There are only a certain number of times that either Damian or myself will put up with a person (whoever they may be, these are not pointed observations) constantly questioning our every move and challenging us on the public forum before we run out of patience.

What may seem entertaining and fun to onlookers can begin to seem a bit like too much work for moderators and when we reach a point when a particular member is breaking the terms and conditions of the use of this forum repeatedly, thumbing their nose at moderators and quite possibly putting new members off from using what to them might appear to be a hostile cliquey forum we have to act.

Nobody wants to prevent people from enjoying discussions but to continue to try to hammer a point home well past the threshold of good manners and good sense is a bit odd and is regarded by moderators the world over as flame baiting - making inflamatory statements to create arguments and to disrupt an internet forum.

It's strange how as soon as one flame baiter is booted or disappears another appears in our midst with the same sort of attitude and phraseology a couple of weeks later
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts