New M'Way 80mph limit.

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Lord B. our late neighbour Bill hit a deaer that went over the car bonnet and smashed the windscreen, as Bill could'nt see ahead he drove in to a bank and ditch and rolled the car on its side. He suffered pretty bad injury and a blow to the head caused epileptic fits so he could no longer continue to drive. The accident speed was around 26 - 27 mph!
Going to fast was he? Man in front with flag for all of us maybe? If you'd have been going faster Lord B youwouldhave passed the spot where the deer crossed bfore they got there if the speed limit was higher
smiley-wink.gif

There have been many nasty incidents of caravaning outfits turning over and nasty injuries LordB. I note that you are still caravanning
smiley-wink.gif

Your son hit some spuds, so what! He could have been in a car and crashed that as many other youngster do with terrible results.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Awe come Sadie thats a bit unfair on the old boy he,s never been a biker so does not know what it's like to be on two wheels.500yrds on a Lambretta dont count does it.
Going to RTA,s after a accident shows only the bad side but it is not only speed that kills or maims serious injury can occur at 10mph if some dozy person openes a car door on you.
in my life I have broken both wrists.a hip,a collar bone , a elbow. both legs, one arm and an ankle, but only one of these was on a bike and that was on a 125cc BSA bantam top speed 35mph when I was 16. when the chain came off and wrapped round the rear wheel

colin

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Shady Sadie said:
Lord B. our late neighbour Bill hit a deaer that went over the car bonnet and smashed the windscreen, as Bill could'nt see ahead he drove in to a bank and ditch and rolled the car on its side. He suffered pretty bad injury and a blow to the head caused epileptic fits so he could no longer continue to drive. The accident speed was around 26 - 27 mph!
Going to fast was he? Man in front with flag for all of us maybe? If you'd have been going faster Lord B youwouldhave passed the spot where the deer crossed bfore they got there if the speed limit was higher
smiley-wink.gif

There have been many nasty incidents of caravaning outfits turning over and nasty injuries LordB. I note that you are still caravanning
smiley-wink.gif

Your son hit some spuds, so what! He could have been in a car and crashed that as many other youngster do with terrible results.
Conversely Sadie
If he had gone faster he may have hit the whole herd , not just one
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
That's a very hypothetical statement. One could just as well argue that if he had gone faster he may have avoided the deer altogether because he would have been there before the deer appeared on the road.
There's no denying, however, that if an accident does occur then speed will contribute toward the seriousness of the outcome.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lutz said:
There's no denying, however, that if an accident does occur then speed will contribute toward the seriousness of the outcome.

Exactly and the seriousness of your injuries will usually be decided on whether your protection is metal or leather.
Some seem not to be able to understand this and some motorcyclists seem to cast their injuries like a moron casts their asbo's, trophies
smiley-laughing.gif

Repeat after me ......
Metal is harder than leather
Metal is harder than leather....

go on, keep going until it sinks in
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
But metal can also hurt more than leather. What is more important, however, is the presence of something to absorb crash energy - like an airbag, for example.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
Are you Sadie in disguise ???
smiley-cool.gif

You may be getting close Parksy
smiley-smile.gif

I've been having similar thoughts myself for some time now. Grammar, same train of thought etc.
smiley-undecided.gif

Om, Sadie and remember cris? Brian (St Albans) wont. Not forgetting the late Euro
smiley-frown.gif

All of a sudden Om has disappeared (probably swimming the Amazon or some other pursuit) as Sadie reappears
smiley-surprised.gif

All people of the world with their important contacts in life as they like to keep telling us. They truly make me feel inadequate staying within the confines of Blighty
smiley-cry.gif
I'm not rich. I've no rich relatives. None of my family have their own business and I don't know any influential business people. I don't know any famous sports people, especially F1 where I could pursue my lust for speed if I had any. Yes, truly inadequate and I just wish I could live my life again and seek such adventure and be able to circulate in well to do circles .... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Oh well, it's only a forum and what I'm grateful for is they aren't running the country
smiley-surprised.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lutz said:
But metal can also hurt more than leather. What is more important, however, is the presence of something to absorb crash energy - like an airbag, for example.

Maybe more important are seat belts but you don't see too many on motor bikes. In my post I didn't compare the safety measures between each because obviously there was no point.
I'm no scientist but can only speak as an ex paramedic regarding the injuries received from both modes of transport and I know which I'd rather deal with.
One of the lesser injured motorcyclists I attended had a fractured mid shaft fracture of the femur. To attend to this injury we needed to cut his leathers off, not just to stabilise it but to find out if it was an open fracture. He threatened both of us if we even attempted it. Leathers were the biggest problem for us.
The worse I attended was beyond help. All we could do was pick up his body parts and put them in a body bag. Some of my colleagues were still motorcyclists though. It didn't seem to bother them regarding the injuries.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Parksy - Moderator said:
smiley-cool.gif

smiley-smile.gif

I've been having similar thoughts myself for some time now. Grammar, same train of thought etc.
smiley-undecided.gif

Om, Sadie and remember cris? Brian (St Albans) wont. Not forgetting the late Euro
smiley-frown.gif

All of a sudden Om has disappeared (probably swimming the Amazon or some other pursuit) as Sadie reappears
smiley-surprised.gif

All people of the world with their important contacts in life as they like to keep telling us. They truly make me feel inadequate staying within the confines of Blighty
smiley-cry.gif
I'm not rich. I've no rich relatives. None of my family have their own business and I don't know any influential business people. I don't know any famous sports people, especially F1 where I could pursue my lust for speed if I had any. Yes, truly inadequate and I just wish I could live my life again and seek such adventure and be able to circulate in well to do circles .... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Oh well, it's only a forum and what I'm grateful for is they aren't running the country
smiley-surprised.gif

(Apologies for straying off topic to answer Lord B.
offtopic.gif
)

On the internet anyone can be whoever or whatever they want to be Lord B.
smiley-wink.gif

On the whole I enjoy reading the posts from all of our forum members even if I'm a bit sceptical about some of the stories being told now and then.
I'm often amused by the tendency of one or two of our number to seem to resemble the little man and his wife on those old fashioned wooden Swiss clocks where as soon as one pops out the other disappears. Because I read pretty much every single word written on this forum I also tend to notice certain similarities in grammar, syntax and general attitudes at times but of course this could be down to amazing coincidence
smiley-wink.gif

You yourself have created a brilliant internet personna to hide behind at times Lord B although it's clearly meant as a joke, so who are we to blame anyone else who does a similar thing if that's what they want to do?
Obviously we have to crack down on the old flame baiting now and again but as mods we now have the tools to be able to do this fairly effectively before any real harm is done to the forum
extinguishflame.gif

At least some of our more colourful 'personalities' stimulate a bit of discussion and debate on internet forums and it would be a dull old world if everybody was the same
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I've not dissapeared.
You people seemed very happy making sic posts suggesting that I speed or that I'm a sub normal level of driver whose wife sits at home in fear
smiley-frown.gif

I posted on the forum yesterday, just not in this section
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
I've not dissapeared.
You people seemed very happy making sic posts suggesting that I speed or that I'm a sub normal level of driver whose wife sits at home in fear
smiley-frown.gif

I posted on the forum yesterday, just not in this section
smiley-tongue-out.gif
Within this topic alone you have been less than complimentary about :
white van man
nimby's
the police
dawdlers
luddites
grubby train passengers
local authorities

so for you to start complaining about 'you people' (meaning everybody else) giving some stick in return is quite funny. Don't dish it out if you can't take it back
smiley-smile.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

White van man gained his reputation long ago, and judging by there driving and speed this morning, well deservedly. The police and press and authorities are the ones that target them. Our local police target WVM all the time.
Nimby's LOL
I think my only suggestion is related to policing being more productive towards road safety, many road safety campaigners have been questioning police time and cameras just addressing speeding rather han general road safety
smiley-smile.gif
"les than complimentary" No, not really.
Dawdlers tend to hinder other road users,it is a regular problem on roads, good progress is better for all on the road rather than chugging along at 50 - 60mph. Dawdling is not good driving practice.
If you are not prepared to move with the times with car speeds and current build standards of car safety combined with technology used on our roads. Why are the luddites on an internet forum
smiley-wink.gif

Have you been on a train scrum recently Parksy? Stood on a train to Waterloo for 40 minutes crammed in worse than sheep travel in a truck to slaughter house and then on the underground inches from a wet armpit of a sweaty person clinging to the overhead grab rail whilst trying to prevent close intimate contact with complete strangers.
LA's who've wasted millions on green waste schemes, wheelie bin fiasco's, misplaced speed humps and a wide variety of failed costly iniatives
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Your listed subjects are well known and accepeted facts of modern life Mod. My personal driving and who sits along side me and the speed I drive at on UK roads are not
smiley-wink.gif
If your co moderator feels it fit to make un called for remarks in the general lay of the section it's game on
smiley-frown.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
smiley-frown.gif

Now if you didn't see that as a joke Om you need a chuckle muscle transplant. It was simply making play on your words
smiley-innocent.gif

heh! heh! heh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
smiley-wink.gif

You yourself have created a brilliant internet personna to hide behind at times Lord B although it's clearly meant as a joke, so who are we to blame anyone else who does a similar thing if that's what they want to do?

What are you saying? That this isn't the real me?
smiley-surprised.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If that pic shows the real you, you need a new glass left eye
smiley-wink.gif
and with those choppers it's just as well you only move in lower social circles.
If you and Janet Street Porter had ever bred the result could have been frightening
smiley-surprised.gif

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Parksy - Moderator said:
smiley-wink.gif

smiley-surprised.gif

Now you know it's not you, Lord B - you know you're Alf Garnets love child - I know, I've seen the photos!! LMAO
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-cool.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
white van man
nimby's
the police
dawdlers
luddites
grubby train passengers
local authorities
forum moderators

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " If your co moderator feels it fit to make un called for remarks in the general lay of the section ......"

Do not drag me into this ridiculous farce.
All I have said is I know I am not a perfecr driver, and , more importantly, if you bring personalities into the postings in a dergoatory manner, as you seem to have a liking to do, then I will delete them amd take whatever action I consider appropriate.

I most certainly never need to ask your permission to post in any part of the forum.

As far as 4x4's and speed limits go, I dont care WHAT people drive, each to their own, and as long as speed limits are in force, for whatever reason, I am more than happy to abide by them.
As for "dawdling" along between 50 and 60, as 55 is the optimum fuel economy speed for my vehicle, that is where I will be.

I gave up "needing" to speed when I came out of my teenage years.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
I gave up "needing" to speed when I came out of my teenage years.
smiley-laughing.gif

Who needs to speed? My post was about a government and DofT well researched proposal not about how I drive or that I race along breaking speed limits. Trying to belittle members by dropping comments
"I wish I was a perfect driver
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
, but thankfully I know I am not and take suitable care and consideration for others"
Many who drive faster than you choose to Damian still drive within speed limits and with fulll care and attention and regard for other road users. Posts that suggest questioning current driving regulations makes others poor drivers or above other road users is poor form and attract a response.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Wendy-Norfolk said:
Parksy - Moderator said:
smiley-wink.gif

smiley-surprised.gif

Now you know it's not you, Lord B - you know you're Alf Garnets love child - I know, I've seen the photos!! LMAO
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-cool.gif

[/quote]

Waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! what's this? First Parksy, then Om and now you. It must be pick on His Windyship day .

Waaaaaaaaa!!! waaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
smiley-cry.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
Dawdlers tend to hinder other road users,it is a regular problem on roads, good progress is better for all on the road rather than chugging along at 50 - 60mph. Dawdling is not good driving practice.
If you are not prepared to move with the times with car speeds and current build standards of car safety combined with technology used on our roads.
Om when I drive I don't tend to think of how modern the car is, what speed it will do or how safe it's crashability is. I drive to the state of the road and on the Herefordshire byways 50 is usually more than ample. This is the speed I normally drive at on our local roads and I don't have any desire to go faster. I will admit that 30 is slow on rural roads unless the conditions justify it and 40 I can just about tolerate but these days I'm not normally in a rush to get anywhere especially a premature meeting with St. Peter.
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Parksy - Moderator said:
smiley-cool.gif

smiley-smile.gif

smiley-undecided.gif

smiley-frown.gif

smiley-surprised.gif

smiley-cry.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

smiley-surprised.gif

Is the pseudonym "Lord B" a Freudian slip due to your humble life and feelings of inadequacy LB? Many thousands currently work in F1 and F1 related and motorsport businesses in the south east Lord B. People in Stoke may have a few friends and contacts with the pottery business, in our local area many work in aerospace and motorsport or closely related businesses. Florence Nightingale style scraping bodies of the public highway never came my way. Family business and race engineering hubby did.

And is the pseudonym not a cover for your real name "C(h)ris" Lord B ;-)

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Om when I drive I don't tend to think of how modern the car is, what speed it will do or how safe it's crashability is. I drive to the state of the road and on the Herefordshire byways 50 is usually more than ample. This is the speed I normally drive at on our local roads and I don't have any desire to go faster. I will admit that 30 is slow on rural roads unless the conditions justify it and 40 I can just about tolerate but these days I'm not normally in a rush to get anywhere especially a premature meeting with St. Peter.
smiley-laughing.gif

Dawdling along on roads that have safe conditions and are legal for 60 or 70mph has nothing to do with driving on Herefordshire, Devonshire or Surrey Hills rural roads at 30 or 40mph.
Raising limits on motorways or even safer stretches of dual carriageways is not about breaking speeed limits, boy racing, teenage road lunacy, road rage driving.
I've made the biggest mistake in thinking that was very very simple to understand
smiley-frown.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Shady Sadie said:
Lord Braykewynde said:
And is the pseudonym not a cover for your real name "C(h)ris" Lord B ;-)

LMAO Sadie. Go to the top of the class for observation. Considering some people on here call me Chris on the forum my name of The Rt. Hon. Christopher Peregrine Arbuthnot Braykewynde, Lord of Screwham Hall, is no pseudonym
smiley-smile.gif

BTW was there any need to mention my inadequacies in not being involved with racing, obviously F1 and not stock car in your case
smiley-cry.gif

Nice try to deflect the attention and mentioning of cris though Sadie but some on this forum have been around a long time and will know what I mean. Apart from that my grammar is better than his ... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Om in your post you stated ....

"Dawdlers tend to hinder other road users,it is a regular problem on roads, good progress is better for all on the road rather than chugging along at 50 - 60mph. Dawdling is not good driving practice.
If you are not prepared to move with the times with car speeds and current build standards of car safety combined with technology used on our roads".

You never mentioned motorways or even dual carriageways.
The UKs normal A roads have a limit of 60mph yet you consider that dawdling
smiley-undecided.gif

My post regarding Herefordshires byways was referring to A roads because in the county we have probably 10 miles of motorway (M50) and roughly 15 miles of dual carriageway (A40 & A49).
Most of Herefordshire roads were built on old drovers roads or tramways. I've driven on better B roads than our A roads but even the nice straight A or B roads of East Anglia still have a 60 limit although sensibly on busy roads 50 is becoming more common place thankfully.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts