New M'Way 80mph limit.

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually Departments of Transport in the UK, US and in Europe have concluded and have research and evidence that speed is not to blame in most accidents.

Again- Fom UK Department of Transport October 2010
"only 15 per cent of fatal crashes and 5 per cent of all accidents are caused by speeding"

Slow drivers have a hell of a lot to answer for
smiley-wink.gif
seems like thay are responsible for 85% of road fatalities.
To be serious, I'm all for slow speeds near schools and old folks homes. But on good M'way and DualC's higher limits are not a problem or when traffic flow is not to heavy.
We came through the M25 variable speed limit section between A3 and M3 yesterday. 70mph on the inside lane and three other lnes of heavy traffic passing us and leaving us a long way behind despite the speed camera gantries. From Brighton to the 25 many of the cars must have been doing 90mpg plus and at 70 mph we were one of the slowest vehicles. It was the same in the morning, No accidents and thats a regular run for us and regular scenario. The worst part is always the dawdlers and panic pants drivers when approching the M25 Junction. The Police should be pulling the idiots who panic before the bends and have no idea how to filter in with other traffic. 'Plonker' points on license and compulsory training courses should be handed out.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wish I was a perfect driver
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
, but thankfully I know I am not and take suitable care and consideration for others.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
We've had a few days away visiting friends in Germany, on the way we ran with ease at up to around 140mph on the autbahn, driving friends Panamera up to 300kph. No fuss, no problem and as speed increases your reactio times andbreaking distances alter with the conditions. There's no real reason why our motowy speed limits can't be increased for quieter times. If drivers in the UK became used to drivers passing at high speed like they have done for years in Germany we might end up with better drivers and less silly accidents hereSmile

OmOnWeelz said:
Somebody here said that they often get passed by mad drivers going fast and end up alongside them further down the road. OK they got caught in traffic or behind some plonker hogging a lane. But obviously all those "mad" drivers got to the same point as safely as the dawdlerWink

Last season we came dow the M1 from Yorkshire, caravan in tow, cruise sat at 60 mph, our friends left us behind on the slip road as they were solo. They got home 3 hours earlier than us as they were moving faster they missed the 3 hold ups we encountered. If they'd stayed at 60mph with us that would have been another car in the queues

OmOnWeelz said:
Slow drivers have a hell of a lot to answer for Wink seems like thay are responsible for 85% of road fatalities.

To be serious, I'm all for slow speeds near schools and old folks homes. But on good M'way and DualC's higher limits are not a problem or when traffic flow is not to heavy.

We came through the M25 variable speed limit section between A3 and M3 yesterday. 70mph on the inside lane and three other lnes of heavy traffic passing us and leaving us a long way behind despite the speed camera gantries. From Brighton to the 25 many of the cars must have been doing 90mpg plus and at 70 mph we were one of the slowest vehicles. It was the same in the morning, No accidents and thats a regular run for us and regular scenario. The worst part is always the dawdlers and panic pants drivers when approching the M25 Junction. The Police should be pulling the idiots who panic before the bends and have no idea how to filter in with other traffic. 'Plonker' points on license and compulsory training courses should be handed out.

Are you Sadie in disguise ???
smiley-cool.gif

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
AFTER ALL THE WAFFLE AND TRIPE THAT WAS POSTED WHEN I POSTED ABOUT TRUCKS HOGGING LANES I KNOW BETTER THAN TO GET THE WETS & LIBERALS OF THIS FORUM TO THINK REAL WORLD THOUGHTS ON UK MOTORING PARKSY :) THE LAST TIME WE DROVE AT SPEED IN GERMANY WE HAD A GERMAN MERCEDES G WAGON FLASHING FOR UP TO MOVE OVER & DAVID WAS DOING ABOUT 150 MPH. WE CAN AGREE WITH OM THOUGH, SPEED LIMITS OVER IN THE UK ARE TO SLOW ON MANY ROADS AND TO FAST ON OTHERS.
SADIE XX

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Shady Sadie said:
AFTER ALL THE WAFFLE AND TRIPE THAT WAS POSTED WHEN I POSTED ABOUT TRUCKS HOGGING LANES I KNOW BETTER THAN TO GET THE WETS & LIBERALS OF THIS FORUM TO THINK REAL WORLD THOUGHTS ON UK MOTORING PARKSY :) ...............
SADIE XX

You'll have to shout up Sadie, I didn't quite catch that
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Yet again we have page after page of gibberish not connected to caravanning.....Can I suggest you have a forum for TRIPE...'cause that's what this one is all about..........80mph on motorways..........dont be daft......and speed KILLS even if it doesnt cause accidents

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
No one is forced to read it if they don't want to Brightmore.
This particular section of the forum is called 'Chit Chat' and the sub heading reads: 'For non-caravan issues: jokes, trivia, gossip.'
There are no rules as to what the contents of forum posts must consist of as long as the comments are compliant with the terms & conditions of forum use and of course the guidelines shown within forum etiquette.
'Tripe' can and does appear in all sorts of places and in most caravan related internet forums, if you don't want to read it just move on to a topic which is of more interest to you
smiley-wink.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote"......and speed KILLS even if it doesnt cause accidents"

Not, apparently, according to some peoples input to the "argument"(for want or bother of a better word)

Head and brick wall come to mind.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
brightmore said:
All points duly noted.........but there's is still a lot of tripe being quoted here..........will now move on to caravanning matters

That's very true Brightmore, but the art of successful debate is the ability to convince the other guy that his opinion is 'tripe' (for want of a better word) and also to convince passive onlookers that your own point of view is the opposite of 'tripe'
smiley-laughing.gif

I used to be quite a fast and furious driver when I was young, a hgv licence changed all that because I realised that despite passing my driving test ( for a car) after relatively few lessons (10) my driving skills were atrocious.
smiley-frown.gif

Inappropriate speed can kill, speed in itself doesn't kill anybody (at any given moment the international space station is travelling at an average speed of 17,227 mph but the astronauts and cosmonauts survive because the speed is controlled and appropriate to the circumstances) it's the sudden uncontrolled stop that does the damage
smiley-surprised.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
As a caravanner I'm also a solo driver
smiley-wink.gif
That's right, we don't drive around daily with a caravan in tow and nor do we when we are out touring. We often pop up a motorway for a day out from a caravan site. Chit-chat sems a reasonable place to bring up the Dept of Transport and Government plan to raise the limit.
Uncalled for sarcasm removed. you sould be able to understand that much of the UK's M'way traffic is travelling at 80mph and above, there are a few accidents but generally the M'way network is pretty safe. It's also quite a simple concept that higher speeds work well on roads worse than ours.
The French even manage to cope with the variable wet condition 68mph and dry 81mph
smiley-smile.gif
Are British drivers not(another sarcastic comment removed) able to cope with a few more variable limits than we already have.
When discussing speed, what are posts about great drivers about? We slow down in wet weather and around schools and cyclists and pull out and slow if we see a child near the edge of a pavement. Because I would like to see a more sensible and realistic speed limits in the UK doesn't make me a bad driver! We actually have a insurance and license record that seems to say we are good drivers.
"Speed kills" is just another pansie soundbite. Real nice post Parky
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
Shady Sadie said:
AFTER ALL THE WAFFLE AND TRIPE THAT WAS POSTED WHEN I POSTED ABOUT TRUCKS HOGGING LANES I KNOW BETTER THAN TO GET THE WETS & LIBERALS OF THIS FORUM TO THINK REAL WORLD THOUGHTS ON UK MOTORING PARKSY :) ...............
SADIE XX

You'll have to shout up Sadie, I didn't quite catch that
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Sorry Parksy, using mobile for connection the browser would only post capitals.
David has been around fast cars and bikes all his life, he's spent over 40 years on race tracks and testing cars and we've owned driven and been in some very fast cars.
If speed killed we would have been dead long ago along with lots of friends and colleagues. Bad driving and speed in the wrong place or at the wrong time is dangerous. All fast driver are not bad drivers and all slow plodders are not great drivers. In my years as a driver, slow and steady just doesn't make for perfect driving by a long way. Observation and reading the road ahead and making allowances for the unexpected is what counts.
As a family of bikers, we just ride and drive by the "they're all out to get ya" rule :)
May be that is why we've stayed alive and also have good driving records.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
Sarcastic comment removed.. you sould be able to understand that much of the UK's M'way traffic is travelling at 80mph and above, there are a few accidents but generally the M'way network is pretty safe. It's also quite a simple concept that higher speeds work well on roads worse than ours.
smiley-smile.gif
Are British drivers not (another sarcastic comment removed) able to cope with a few more variable limits than we already have.
smiley-laughing.gif

Another condescending reference to somebody you don't know, OmOnWeelz!
smiley-frown.gif

Mod Note,,sorry to have to remove the points you wanted highlighted Wendy, but I had to.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just read the reply containing the condescending comment referred to above.

It is not clever, not necessary and not tolerated,.
Any more personal sarcastic comments will result in the post being removed and further action taken against the poster concerned.

Keep personalities out of replies.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Wendy-Norfolk said:
OmOnWeelz said:
Sarcastic comment removed.. you sould be able to understand that much of the UK's M'way traffic is travelling at 80mph and above, there are a few accidents but generally the M'way network is pretty safe. It's also quite a simple concept that higher speeds work well on roads worse than ours.
smiley-smile.gif
Are British drivers not (another sarcastic comment removed) able to cope with a few more variable limits than we already have.
smiley-laughing.gif

Another condescending reference to somebody you don't know, OmOnWeelz!
smiley-frown.gif

Mod Note,,sorry to have to remove the points you wanted highlighted Wendy, but I had to.
Glad to see the offending material removed - no problem at all!
smiley-wink.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
[/quote]
Observation and reading the road ahead and making allowances for the unexpected is what counts. As a family of bikers, we just ride and drive by the "they're all out to get ya" rule :) May be that is why we've stayed alive and also have good driving records.[/quote]

As a life long biker I have only one comment to make
"you have got that right"

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
As a life long biker (50+ years) also, I've always believed it's not speed that kills or hurts, but "inappropriate" stopping!
And remember zero speed doesn't mean zero accidents. Unless everyone does zero. (Now that would save fuel!)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Shady Sadie said:
As a family of bikers, we just ride and drive by the "they're all out to get ya" rule :) May be that is why we've stayed alive and also have good driving records.

I learned my lesson regarding 2 wheels with a motor at an early age.
I bought a secondhand Lambretta when I was 17. Took it up the road and ended up in a ditch. Rode it back home and that was the last time I went on two wheels. I took it as a warning from above. That's how I stayed alive
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
`Same old, same old` forum. With caravan still on its stands due to family commitments I've only been glimpsing at the forum and not posting as we've been very busy. Reading this thread from start to finish is it any wonder that posters make unfortunate remarks. People who should know better and set examples still seem to post uncalled for posts that end up strategically placed, winding up the members, then reprimanding them is pretty low and then rather than leave the mods to sort out the mess, Miaow!
Sorry Damian and Parksy, talk recently about how quiet this forum is seems quite relevant, nice, better forum engine and at least at last a few people seem to accept alternative views. Because some people like 'fast' is no reason to label them as mad, dangerous, strange or of hooligan status.
Lord B you should know better with your last post!
smiley-laughing.gif
it doesn't help. does it
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Shady Sadie said:
THE LAST TIME WE DROVE AT SPEED IN GERMANY WE HAD A GERMAN MERCEDES G WAGON FLASHING FOR UP TO MOVE OVER & DAVID WAS DOING ABOUT 150 MPH.

Lmao Sadie, brilliant
smiley-laughing.gif

In a post earlier I mentioned about hitting a deer in the early hours of the morning. It was around 2am on the A40 dual carriageway between Monmouth and Ross.
I was approaching a lorry and doing 70mph. Just after I'd dipped my lights and moved into the outside lane I was aware of deer crossing my path. In the split second I saw them there must have been five that I missed. They jumped over the central reservation. I didn't miss the sixth though. I never even saw it. Thankfully it hit the offside front and although doing considerable damage to my tyre, bonnet, wing and lights I managed to stop.
I know of a person who lived locally who had a similar accident but they hit the deer full on. The deer ended up inside the car, going through the screen and killing her.
Imagine what would happen if I hit some deer doing over double the speed I was doing of 70mph. Perish the thought because there's certainly no time doing 150mph to take evasive action in a lot of scenario's.
One thing is certain though. Those who advocate speed may have an accident but they will never suffer brain damage
smiley-wink.gif

And this post is from someone who is about as far removed from being a liberal wet as it's possible to be
smiley-smile.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Shady Sadie said:
Lord B you should know better with your last post!
smiley-laughing.gif
it doesn't help. does it
smiley-wink.gif

It certainly did help Sadie
smiley-smile.gif

It kept me alive and for over 30 years I spent scraping people up off the road. My son when 16 wanted a motorbike and he wanted me to act as guarantor. This I refused because of years dealing with the aftermath of accidents concerning motorcyclists I felt that I would be signing his death certificate.
It didn't stop him getting a bike or passing his test later. Neither did it stop him hitting potatoes in the road which had come off a tractor trailer. Both he and his girlfriend ended up in hospital and she still has the metal rods in her leg to this day.
When being passed a 999 call I dreaded being told it was a RTA involving a motorcyclist for the obvious reasons.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
I learned my lesson regarding 2 wheels with a motor at an early age.
I bought a secondhand Lambretta when I was 17. Took it up the road and ended up in a ditch. Rode it back home and that was the last time I went on two wheels. I took it as a warning from above. That's how I stayed alive
smiley-smile.gif
Speak of the old Devil and there he is, having jumped in with a further post
smiley-smile.gif
The post I mentioned is now the one before Lord B
smiley-laughing.gif

Sounds like you were a bit of a clutz as a seventeen year old LordB
smiley-wink.gif
( you've never changed then), as a seventeen year old I was helping David rebuild bikes and cars and racing around on 750 honda 4's and triple Kawasaki's and Suzuki's and remember riding pillion with David and ragging it with Euro and his better half all the way to Monaco and back. Both lads had Laverda Jota's. We lit up French roads many a time and in the old day the French Moto Gendarmes loved fast bikes. The Jota's were good for just about 140mph two up on a long French road on a hot still day. Never once worried about the speed and we didn't fall in ditches
smiley-smile.gif

You should have stuck with two wheels Lord B and then may be you would have a better understanding re speeding and speed used in the right and wrong place
smiley-tongue-out.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts