New outfit and confused about weights :( please help

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
hi all

My first post here and it looks a great source of info :)

I drive a Toyota Colorado 4x4 3.0 litre Diesel, and have just bought a new twin axle compass rallye 640.

Im not sure about nose weights and the new measurement of weights

Can anyone put me in the picture please :)

regards

Paul.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Acccording to my data, the kerbweight of the Toyota will be around 1930kg, its maximum permissible towload is 2800kg and the MTPLM of a Compass Rallye 640 is 1900kg. The maximum permissible noseweight of the caravan is 100kg. I don't what the maximum noseweight for the car is but it is probably higher than that of the caravan so the 100kg figure will apply anyway as it's always the lower of the two specs that count.

What do you mean by 'new measurement of weights'?

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Acccording to my data, the kerbweight of the Toyota will be around 1930kg, its maximum permissible towload is 2800kg and the MTPLM of a Compass Rallye 640 is 1900kg. The maximum permissible noseweight of the caravan is 100kg. I don't what the maximum noseweight for the car is but it is probably higher than that of the caravan so the 100kg figure will apply anyway as it's always the lower of the two specs that count.

What do you mean by 'new measurement of weights'?
hi lutz thanks for the reply

the van kerbweight states 1609kg whats MTPLM and hence the difference of 1900kg ?

Also the nose weight of the car is 130 kgs ive heard about a 7percent rule on nose weights ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The kerbweight, or MIRO (Mass In Running Order) of the van is what the name implies, without any payload.

The MTPLM is the Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass or the maximum the van may weigh when it's fully laden. The difference between the two figures is the allowable payload.

The maximum permissible noseweight of the Toyota may be 130kg but as the maximum for the van is only 100kg, then the lower of the two figures applies. The 7% recommendation is still referred to in some circles but I would advise you to forget it, especially as 7% of the weight of your caravan is way over the limit of what both your car and caravan may take. It's an old rule of thumb to determine the proper noseweight but one is much better of with a noseweight which corresponds with the lower of the two figures specified for car and caravan, respectively.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
I would take your outfit to a weighbridge and check out the total train weight.

Given the figures above, surely you will be over the permitted 3500KGs and would need an HGV licence?

h

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There is no need for an HGV licence just because the gross train weight is over 3500kg. If Paul passed his driving test before the 1st January 1997 he doesn't need to do anything. If it was after that date he only needs to pass a test for towing a trailer, i.e. a category B+E licence.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi folks

thanks for the replies....Lutz i did pass my test oh many moons ago now :) so the train weight wont be a problem :)

But i wonder where you get the hurb weight for my car to be only 1930 ?

The data i have is 2020kg ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The figure I found was out of the Toyota website and probably for a base model without any extras. Cars usually weigh more than what is published in such sources so the higher figure that you have doesn't surprise me and it is certainly likely to be more accurate.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
The figure I found was out of the Toyota website and probably for a base model without any extras. Cars usually weigh more than what is published in such sources so the higher figure that you have doesn't surprise me and it is certainly likely to be more accurate.
Rehi Lutz

Is there anyway of getting the correct figure ? ive trolled around and got all sorts of differing numbers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts