New Payload Regulations Confuse April PC Magazine

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even PC are getting confused by the silly new payload regulations, so what cahnce the newby caravanner? On page 108 of the April magazine Neil Hampton is niggled that Swift have reduced the payload for the Sprite 2012 TD from 239kg (good useful payload) to 185kg (not bad) yet reading Swifts website spec the company state that total payload has not been reduced the differenece being now that some items are included in MIRO due to the new regs. Does PC need a correction in next months mag?
A further observation on payload relating to the review of the Coachman Pastiche 460/2, it is not surprisng that NNigel Hutson commented that" even for an extended stays,there are unlikely to be empty cupboards". Not surprising with such a low payload of 130kg. I did a tot up of items that I take such as Mover, Battery, Chocks, Lock, Small Aquaroll, Waste Water container, Sidelift jack, TV and two chairs. It came to 114kg. I accept that some go in the car along with awning, non-perishable food etc, but 130kg too low to be practical. In Swifts excellent website Owners Handbooks are available and give a checklist of things a toursit should consider taking. How a newbie can get that lot within the low payloads being offered by some makers mmust surely result in over loaded vans, or cars. My 2005 Bailey handbook reminds me that MIRO may vary by =/- 5% and that the van should be weighed empty and full. So for the Coachman abbove if its MIRO varied bby around 5% that would take 56kg out of payload. Is such a hypothese realistic? The drive to get headline MTPLM low is craeting potential problems of unknowingly overloaded vans. Perhaps its time tto give buyers the option of payload upgrades on all models not jjust those that have the bit of spare capacity purely as a result of production rationalisation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Clive,

I agree there is now added confusion regarding the payload, and what is or is not included in the MIRO.

Despite the NCC guidelines on MIRO, there are still difference between some manufacturers, so the only way to know what is or isn't included is to read the manufactures specifications.

And even then its not always that simple, as whilst the manufacture may make an allowance for say a battery or gas cylinder, the actual items you choose may have different weight to those assumed by the manufacture.

Confusion reigns!

A payload increase (which in fact would mean an MTPLM increase)is not always possible. For example the caravan's basic design may already fully explore the load limit of the chassis,so there is no room to increase the payload or MTPLM.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof
Totally agree with you. Batteries are not in Miro but gas bottles are but as you say different manufacturers quote different weights. But Swift who have an excellent web site only refer to a gas bottle in the owners handbook and passing mention of liquids and other items but nothing on what weight allowance against what items is mentioned. Coachman is similar. Pretty fundamental for someone to know this especially a newbie. Cottage industry or what?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The reason why there is such confusion with MIRO is because, unlike for cars and motor homes, there has, up to now, been no standard defintion of what is included and what is not. This has been left to each any every manufacturer. Now, with EU type approval having been extended to cover caravans as well, there is an urgent need to achieve harmonisation. This will result in some manufacturers having have to change their figures, others not.
The consensus seems to be a defintion according to DIN EN 1645-2, which is as follows:
On board water tank (and heating, if applicable) filled 100%
A full complement of completely filled gas bottles, i.e.1 or 2, as appropriate
A standard drum of EHU cable
Any other factory-fitted (not dealer fitted) optional extras
In other words, the battery is only included if the caravan left the factory with one already fitted

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts