Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am sure this must have been raised before but is there a possibility that we could have facility where we cab view just new posts since the last visit. I can see that new posts have been highlighted but rather than going through all the different sections I would just like to see just the new posts from the entire forum.

David

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Wouldn't we all, David!! I think the techies have hibernated for the winter
smiley-wink.gif
smiley-undecided.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
David Klyne said:
I am sure this must have been raised before but is there a possibility that we could have facility where we cab view just new posts since the last visit. I can see that new posts have been highlighted but rather than going through all the different sections I would just like to see just the new posts from the entire forum.
David
You can just go to the new posts David (& Sue
smiley-kiss.gif
)
On the forum index page besides the red updated text there will be the number of new posts since your last visit.
Click onto your chosen topic and at the top right of the first post of the topic will be : 1 reply [1 new] [Last post]
The numbers shown will depend on how many replies there are and how many new posts have been submitted since your last visit.
Click onto the links to go to either the new replies only or the last posting if you don't want to trawl through the topic.
S'easy
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
No Steve (
smiley-kiss.gif
), s'complicated (
smiley-tongue-out.gif
).

On some other forums they have a 'read last posts' button at the top of the index page - you click on this and it gives all of the last posts on all topics, all in one handy-to-read simple list, all together, in one place, no clicking buttons on individual topics.

Now that's simples!!
smiley-tongue-out.gif
smiley-tongue-out.gif
smiley-tongue-out.gif
smiley-yell.gif

(yes I'm grumpy, it's early in the morning and I haven't yet drunk all of my first cup of tea)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry if this is another daft post from me
Wouldn't want 2 in one week
smiley-laughing.gif

But clicking on the red blob doesn't do anything

I had another look and see the number of new posts on the right but no indication of which topic
It would be nice as stated above to have a new posts column as in Caravan Talk for example if the budget can run to it
smiley-undecided.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Parksy
What I want, what I really, really want, is a new post button which then lists all new posts since my last visit, I don't what to have to visit each section of the forum in turn to find new posts. I appreciate that this forum is a self made one rather than using a more conventional IP style one but could the techs look at what happens on other boards to see what I mean.

David

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure that the technical guys will add it to their ever growing list if it will spice up
rolleyes.gif
the forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What really puzzles me is why, when they were modernising the forum, they did not go for an IP type board which is essentually ready made and has all the features that are required for a modern forum? Would have saved the Haymarket tech boys and girls a lot of work.
David

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure the tech guys would answer but their noses are probably pressed hard to the cyber grindstone developing other internet resources for Haymarket. Somebody has to earn the bill for wine and sausage rolls if Lord Hezza holds a seasonal soiree at Haymarket Towers.
I think that all of Haymarkets online resources use the same format to prevent anything from featuring on WikiLeaks

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
David Klyne said:
What really puzzles me is why, when they were modernising the forum, they did not go for an IP type board which is essentually ready made and has all the features that are required for a modern forum? Would have saved the Haymarket tech boys and girls a lot of work.
David
How long've you got?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John Duncan said:
David Klyne said:
David
How long've you got?

Give me the shortened version!

David

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
David Klyne said:
John Duncan said:
David Klyne said:
David
How long've you got?

David
This website is built on an open-source content management system called Drupal, which has a forum built in. Though it's not as good as IPB or vBulletin or whatever, it serves its purpose, is free, and can be extended quite easily to make the forum more functional. The advantages are that it integrates very well with the rest of the site, making it easy to seamlessly display forum content elsewhere (like in the block on the home page), whereas that would be harder using separate software.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John Duncan said:
David Klyne said:
John Duncan said:
David Klyne said:
David
How long've you got?

David
This website is built on an open-source content management system called Drupal, which has a forum built in. Though it's not as good as IPB or vBulletin or whatever, it serves its purpose, is free, and can be extended quite easily to make the forum more functional. The advantages are that it integrates very well with the rest of the site, making it easy to seamlessly display forum content elsewhere (like in the block on the home page), whereas that would be harder using separate software.

John
Thanks for the reply. I am still puzzled how another part of the Haymarket empire, namely here http://www.caravansitefinder.co.uk/forum/index.php? uses an IP Board for a forum? If I understand you correctly you want to link into the magazine which could not be done with an IP Board. Even if we can't go down that route I think we have to make this forum neater for a want of a better word. A single button bringing up all new post/new contributions since last visit would make the forum much easier to navigate rather than having to go through each section in turn to find new content. I don't know about others but I tend only to explore a couple of section but might well contribute more if I could see all new posts in one go.
David

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Following on from this earlier discussion, it would also be helpful if the 'Mark all forums read' function worked. At least this would then allow readers to clear down topics and pick up new messages the next time the forum was entered.
I am sure that I am not the only reader with obstinate red markers showing outstanding new topics that don't exist.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you had looed down the topic list a little further, you would have found a topic "Mark all forums read",in which I posted the following:

OK,,,,,,,,,,,when you go to a topic which has a red "Updated" at the end of it and click on that thread, then go back to tthe forum list, click on mark all topics read, it simply removes the red "Updated" bit from your list of threads for that topic.

Now was that worth doing??????????????/ I dunno

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Ummmm... I am probably unlucky and have a few forum topics permanently stuck at red.
I guess I was hoping the using the 'Mark all Forums Read' button at the forum level would clear down all of the lower level markers thus allowing the next viewing to find new post across the board.
Thanks for your help.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
After you have clicked on'Mark Topics as Read' you need to wait for 30 seconds or so to give the page time to re-load. This should then clear the red Updated markers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts