New Puppy

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,we have given in and got a Cockapoo pup. Has anyone tried taking a pup away in their van. Ours will have his jabs in 2 weeks and the vet said he will be all right to go out then. My concern is sleeping, at the moment he is downstairs in a cage. 3 nights in and he is getting better!! What will happen in the van.
Any ideas anyone

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
Hi,we have given in and got a Cockapoo pup. Has anyone tried taking a pup away in their van. Ours will have his jabs in 2 weeks and the vet said he will be all right to go out then. My concern is sleeping, at the moment he is downstairs in a cage. 3 nights in and he is getting better!! What will happen in the van.
Any ideas anyone[/quote

I would take the cage until he’s house trained and old enough not to chew stuff. (About 10 years or so). You may need to keep heat on at night as pups are more susceptible to cold

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Doog.
The first thing he will need is lots of love and affection!
We've always taken our dogs in the van, some from very young age, and not had a problem. Start as you mean to go on; if you don't want him on the seats, keep him off from the start. It's no good letting him up cos he's a baby, and trying to stop him later. That won't work.
Clive's suggestions are good, even though the cage might be a nuisance in the van. Out in the awning would be best, but not practical at this time of year. Try to get him into a routine, like putting him in the cage, in the same place at the same time every night. He'll then associate that with sleep, and you might get a full night's sleep!
Oh, and also be aware that the easiest way to fall out with your fellow caravanners is for the pup to be a nuisance on site!
I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it. Just enjoy your new pup. :)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
thedoog1 said:
Any ideas anyone

I would take the cage until he’s house trained and old enough not to chew stuff. (About 10 years or so). You may need to keep heat on at night as pups are more susceptible to cold.

Our dog was about 3 years old when we first took him in a campervan. He loved it as he loves being with us, so we never needed to crate him. But if I had a new puppy, I would probably get one of those soft crates, with the mesh sides for them to sleep in. Purely to avoid damage to the caravan when moving it around. Ours was never destructive once puppy teeth were gone, before that, he chewed an Ikea coffee table, a stair carpet and a laptop... rope toys were always more appealing than shoes!

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, we are used to having dogs with us in the van, just not puppies. Looking forward to taking him he is bonkers

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our pair had their first two week holiday at Tintagel at 12 weeks old.
Without fail we put them outside every hour on the hour, did a wee / poo then allowed back in. By midnight they slept at the front end on an old sleeping bag. Beneath that was an old wind up alarm clock , tick tock...
All seats covered with old throw overs just in case. No problems and quickly house trained. Personally we have never used newspapers by the door. Imo 5hatvteaches the dog it is ok to wee on papers by the door :woohoo:
Be relaxed. Out very regularly and you will be ok. Search the web for an electronic copy of Joy Strangers , Training Puppies.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Dusty, ours is only 8 12 weeks old and he is getting the hang of toilet training. Apart from this afternoon when he disappeared from the conservatory without us noticing and had a poo on White lounge rug!!!!
I will see if I can find Joy Strangers

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve

Try this link. The script from her original book is quoted verbatim. Good luck.
http://www.dog-pictures.co.uk/dog-care-articles/joyce-stranger-interview.shtml#fundamentals to training a dog

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that link, she talks common sense. Years ago I had a long haired dachshund which I took to obedience training. That was fun i got a prize for taking the longest to process through the classes. He was one stubborn little boy.
Just too make training ours better it appears our neighbours got a pup yesterday. It must be older and bigger than ours because it can already bark as it proved all last night!!!!!

Nov 4, 2018
Visit site
We travel with 4 sleddogs (occasionally more if we take friends dogs with us). Puppies travel well enough after the first couple of journies but our guys are usually crated in our Vito when travelling. The rear is air conditioned, insulated, sound proofed and ventilated and to date has seen them cover journies of up to 6,000 miles and in temperatures ranging from +35 to -30 without issue.
Main thing is good, water and a stable ambient temperature within the van.
When on campsites, depending on the weather they are either in the Vito, in the caravan or on a stake-out line outside.
Your puppy will grow to behave the way he/she is trained. Get it used to travelling at a young age in the way you wish it to continue travelling and you will all have a lot of fun without causing any inconvenience to other campers.
The main things we instill in ours is the need to be quiet; there’s nothing worse than being on a campsite with a noisy neighbouring hound.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Well we have done it and survived. 4 nights in the New Forest. He was as good as gold and loved it, slept in his crate not a peep out of him. being completely wacked from walks helped.
By the way Settorns campsite is really good the walks are endless, and all the wildlife. I have never used a CDP surrounded by a herd of deer before. Plus at this time of year it is a bargain.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
Well we have done it and survived. 4 nights in the New Forest. He was as good as gold and loved it, slept in his crate not a peep out of him. being completely wacked from walks helped.
By the way Settorns campsite is really good the walks are endless, and all the wildlife. I have never used a CDP surrounded by a herd of deer before. Plus at this time of year it is a bargain.

Glad it went well. I’m sure from now on he will get excited every time he sees you getting the caravan ready. What’s CPD I have found 100+ definitions.

Just one thing to watch out for in New Forest and other woodlands around UK is Alabama Rot. We first learnt of it in the early 2000s when at Sandringham. Even the Queen was sponsoring research into its causes. But thus far nothing substantive has been found. Areas near us in Savernake have had incidences and warning signs are displayed. We still take our dogs out but will hose their legs and underneaths down after the walk ifvin areas where it has been reported. It’s quite rare so don’t get paranoid but owners who use forests or woodlands need to be aware.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
thedoog1 said:

Glad it went well. I’m sure from now on he will get excited every time he sees you getting the caravan ready. What’s CPD I have found 100+ definitions.

Just one thing to watch out for in New Forest and other woodlands around UK is Alabama Rot. We first learnt of it in the early 2000s when at Sandringham. Even the Queen was sponsoring research into its causes. But thus far nothing substantive has been found. Areas near us in Savernake have had incidences and warning signs are displayed. We still take our dogs out but will hose their legs and underneaths down after the walk ifvin areas where it has been reported. It’s quite rare so don’t get paranoid but owners who use forests or woodlands need to be aware.

Thanks OC to make that point, When ever in the area's I always take great care to check the dogs out a good Hand feel after grooming a week afterwards. To check for the small ticks around Lower lips Etc.

I love it when my dogs on leads, get to meet the new horse foals.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
thedoog1 said:

Thanks OC to make that point, When ever in the area's I always take great care to check the dogs out a good Hand feel after grooming a week afterwards. To check for the small ticks around Lower lips Etc.

I love it when my dogs on leads, get to meet the new horse foals.

The thoughts on Alabama Rot are that it’s fungal but how and what isn’t clear. Although some have the hypothesis that with winters being less cold, shorter and milder it could be a factor in its spread. Our dogs are tick treated with a proprietary version of Advantix throughout the year as it deals with other parasites and some fungal infections. Being addicted to year-round water sports they are treated every 3-4 weeks, and sometimes fortnightly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts