New Shape BMW 5 Series Touring Stability

Oct 30, 2018
Visit site
Is anyone out there towing with the new shape BMW G31 5 Series Touring (2017 on) as I would be interested to hear how you are finding it? Unlike the recent Tow Car of the Year winner mine is a standard 520d SE model which runs on 17" alloys and doesn't have the X-drive four wheel drive system fitted. The car itself is fantastic - it's quick, economical and very comfortable but I am having issues with the handling/stability.
The steering is overly sensitive and the car is very susceptible to wandering on the motorway particular when it becomes a bit breezier i.e. not just a howling wind! Towing-wise it is a real disappointment compared to my previous S-Max which was unflappable with a Bailey Olympus the same weight as the Swift Challenger Sport 564 I bought back in April. I know it's bad timing to change both parts of the outfit at the same time but that's just the way it ended up happening. What I find while towing is that the outfit feels very flighty and even small cars like e.g. a Kia Picanto passing by on the motorway can disturb it which just isn't right. I've checked the noseweight, tyres etc of the caravan and feel the issue is definitely with the car as the same symptoms can be felt solo albeit to a lesser extent. At the car's first service a couple of weeks ago the dealer said it was just how it was having checked the four wheel alignment and getting several different people to drive it.
So, does anyone else tow with the latest 5 Series Touring (whether an SE or not) and how do you find it?
Thanks,
Andrew.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Not quite the same but I towed for 2 years with the previous gen (F10) 5 series saloon, 17" wheels 520d.
It was the first time I'd ever towed anything so didn't really realise at the time, but yes it did wonder a bit in winds / passing lorries. Nothing dangerous but enough to make me always think about it.
Do you have the adaptive dampers? If so I found putting mine into Sport mode helped, although not a major difference.
Funnily enough I went the opposite way to you and started towing the car with my S-Max this summer. It was only then that I realised how "flighty" the BMW had been. The S-Max is definitely a more stable tow. Not much difference in kerb weight (S-Max 50kg heavier) but I can fit a lot more of my gear in the S-Max so the overall car / caravan ratio is healthier. Not sure if it's that or the fact that the S-Max is much higher / bulkier and so deflects more of the wind around the van?
Enjoy the BMW though! - it did the job for me, and I do miss the acceleration and handling when I'm not towing!

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I have a 2017 530d Touring.
Fantastic bit of kit both solo and when towing, no stability issues whatsoever.
Prior to this one, I had a 2015 520 Touring and that was very good too.
What tyre pressures are you running?

Kev

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
As Kevin suggests, I really would check your car’s tyre pressures Andrew, if you haven’t done so already.

Over inflated tyres have always been a pet hate of mine, and on my Passat B8 Estate, there’s a significant difference between the two different sets of rear tyre pressures quoted by the manufacturer, with the lower pressures being referred to as ‘comfort’, and the higher values recommended for heavier loads.

I had always referred to the lower values, especially considering that most of the time ther’s only me in the car, and never thought it really neccesary to change them depending on Loading. However, prior to venturing off with the van this summer, I inflated the rear tyres to the higher pressures as recommended when fully loaded, and the difference when towing the van was astonishing. I always used to feel a vacuum when passing wagons, even worse when an empty Luton van ploughs past down the outside lane doing 90 plus. However, with the rears inflated at the higher pressure, the outfit doesn’t move at all in either of those two scenarios.

I would be very interested to hear of your findings.

Ic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of the problems with discussion a topic like this, unless everyone has actually tried the outfits in question,few will be able to provide an accurate description as its all rather subjective. Some proffesional drivers may be sufficiently experienced to be able to tell if a tyre is running a little low on pressure just by driving the car, or if a damper is not as taught as it should be, but most caravanners are not.

The same car may be very stable to one person could feel less so by another driver. Its difficult calibrate feelings. Perhaps Andrew, you are extra sensitive to the towing forces, and perhaps others are a bit gung ho about it.

I would tend to believe the garage mechanics who will be more familiar than most with how the car should feel.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
As Kevin suggests, I really would check your car’s tyre pressures Andrew, if you haven’t done so already.

Over inflated tyres have always been a pet hate of mine, and on my Passat B8 Estate, there’s a significant difference between the two different sets of rear tyre pressures quoted by the manufacturer, with the lower pressures being referred to as ‘comfort’, and the higher values recommended for heavier loads.

I had always referred to the lower values, especially considering that most of the time ther’s only me in the car, and never thought it really neccesary to change them depending on Loading. However, prior to venturing off with the van this summer, I inflated the rear tyres to the higher pressures as recommended when fully loaded, and the difference when towing the van was astonishing. I always used to feel a vacuum when passing wagons, even worse when an empty Luton van ploughs past down the outside lane doing 90 plus. However, with the rears inflated at the higher pressure, the outfit doesn’t move at all in either of those two scenarios.

I would be very interested to hear of your findings.

Ic.

My rear tyres are 220 kpa unloaded and I leave them at that for up to four people no luggage. With a full caravan load, dogs, wife and myself plus noseweight they go to the makers recommended pressure which is 300 kpa. Whilst fronts go from 210 kpa to 250 kpa. Car is rock steady.

One cause of wavering motion can be on motorways, dual carriageway or heavily used A roads due to the tramlines caused by HGVs.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On My Sante fe and previous car A 3.0 Vectra, the tyre pressures were critical when I had the caravan on the back. Higher the better. And with the SF. Putting the steering to Sport mode made the driving much better.
Good luck and safe touring.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Just a thought but does the car have lane assist?

I recently towed on the M40 with a Hyundai Santa Fe that had this fitted, and it was horrible. The caravan was causing the back end of the car to move and the lane assist function was acting like an electronic hammer to steer the front to compensate (independently of my own corrections) which succeeded only in making the car feel unstable at the front as well. Turning it off made a big difference!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts