New to caravanning

May 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi all. My wife, Irene & I are newcomers to this exciting pastime of caravan touring. Having collected our new Bailey Unicorn lll Cadiz in February we look forward to Irene's retirement from teaching at the end of June when our new adventure can really begin. Presently, I am searching all corners of the www in my quest to gain as much knowledge as possible to enable me to become a competent & safe caravaner. Therefore, please bear with me. I will endeavour not to be a pest with my questions. Regards to all forum contributors.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello , Lewis and Irene, Please ask your questions, we have all been there and at times still ask what many people think , what daft thing. But dont worry , lots of good folk on here, enjoy.
Hutch.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lewis, welcome to the forum and congratulations on buying your caravan.
This forum plus the website (which also contains a wealth of information) is a great place to receive advice, and to exchange ideas and tips.
We welcome questions about this fantastic hobby, often the replies from friendly and helpful forumites pave the way for wide ranging discussions on all aspects of caravanning.
Most of the fixed text on this website becomes clickable links which will navigate to numerous interesting blogs, reviews, d-i-y articles and safety advice.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Whatto and welcome. Your wife certainly deserves a good break after a lifetime teaching. Three at home here and that's bad enough :)

Never worry about asking questions, no matter how silly they seem. We're all on a learning curve no matter how long we've been at it. Most people here are more than happy to help out, we may go off on a tangent sometimes but that often just answers another few questions before you have a chance to ask them.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello and Welcome! We are fairly new returners to caravanning and have had a wealth of advice from here on the forum. Good luck - what an exciting time for you - I have only another 13 years (at least) until my retirement from teaching so I'm not envious at all................

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lewis
I retired last year and the wife took early retirement, although we have had a caravan for around 30 years, you cannot use it to its full potential when working. Now we tend to use C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites, lots of choices around the country running from 1 to 6 weeks at a time from £8 - £12 a night. Now we go off when we want and come back when we want, often attend a THS up to 12 nights come home for a week then off again. They are off grid so extra equipment is needed i.e. a solar panel.
Just get out and enjoy retirement.

28498221075_aa3ace504d_z.jpg

34352774582_286b0b14fc.jpg

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lewis. Welcome to caravanning and to the forum. It may all seem bewildering at first; but don't worry, after a while you get used to bewilderment. :whistle:
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welco e to the forum and do not be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to. If you want to see things like hitching up and pitching try typing these in u tube and you will find plenty of good videos that will be very useful.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum, hopefully by now your good lady has retired and you have your maiden voyage planned and underway.
We are still relative novices but have found the great thing is that you will always find fellow 'vanners are more than happy to help you out if you need a hand or some advice!
Hope we hear all about your adventures :)

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Lewis and Irene. :)
You'll never regret getting your caravan and the freedom it brings. A whole new door will open in your lives. There are so many places to explore and if you join the Caravan (and Motorhome) Club or the Camping and Caravan Club, you will receive a map and directory listing sites all over the country, most of which have superb full facilities. They also have hundreds of smaller 5-van sites, which are usually situated in beautiful countryside. Some of the smaller 5-van sites (CL's or CS's) have very minimal facilities such as waste disposal and a drinking water tap, through to some 5 star ones, which have electric hook-up's (EHU), toilets and showers. Some of them are Adults Only sites.
We are retired and have just come back from a week in the North Yorkshire Moors staying on a CL - brilliant!
Many years of Happy and safe caravanning to you both.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts