New to Caravanning

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive I'm intrigued by this. Do you think the Mondeo and the C5 shared parts? I haven't been able to find any reference to parts sharing, lots of comments regarding them being competitors, Have I misunderstood your meaning?
The C6 2.7 diesel was Ford and the PSA and Fird had a joint venture across a wide range of engines. When I looked to buy a C5 Tourer the diesel drove beautifully but not with the same finesse as the Mondeo. I liked the appearance of the C5 but when I noted the lower towing capacity for the auto compared to the Mondeo with a similar engine I opted out. I understood that there was also gearbox sharing too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_HDi_engine

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Clive I'm intrigued by this. Do you think the Mondeo and the C5 shared parts? I haven't been able to find any reference to parts sharing, lots of comments regarding them being competitors, Have I misunderstood your meaning?

At one stage Ford, Peugeot and Citroen (PSA), and perhaps others collaborated in a new Diesel engine.

From Wikapedia.

The PSA Group sells a variety of diesel automobile engines with the HDi (high-pressure direct injection) designation. Earlier versions were exclusive to Peugeot and Citroën. In 1998, PSA entered into a joint venture with the Ford Motor Company to produce a range of new diesel engines. The joint venture makes identical engines which are fitted to a variety of vehicles from a range of car manufacturers. The engines are assembled in production plants in the cities of Trémery and Douvrin for PSA in France, at the Ford Dagenham plant in the UK, and Volvo Engine Plant in Skövde Sweden when Volvo was still under Ford ownership.

Half of the group's vehicles are fitted with an HDi diesel engine: in 2007 this amounted to approximately 1.8 million vehicles.

As a result of a cooperation between BMW Group and PSA, the MINI One D and the MINI Cooper D are also fitted with PSA-made HDi DV engines.

But I have never heard anything about bodies, chassis etc..

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof
the Wiki link I gave above gives details across a range of engines arising from the Ford PSA joint venture. As regards the car under discussion the C5 both Mondeo (world car) and C5 2.0 litre diesel used Aisin 6 speed auto. It makes good sense if you are using the same engines to match them to the same gearboxes. Albeit control characteristics may vary. There’s lots on Wikepdia if you search Citroen C5, Ford Auto transmissions, Aisin automatic transmission and PSA auto.. The Aisin is a well regarded unit used in Mondeo, FL2 and a wider range of cars. The strange thing that I found was that using the same 2.0 diesel the auto Mondeo had a far better towing capacity than the C5 with ostensibly the same gearbox. This was in 2010. This gave rise to quite a discussion in another forum where a Citroen owner detailed the marques quirky approach to towing specification.

Other than the joint engine venture and the sharing of the Aisin gearbox I was never aware of sharing of body parts etc. But such is the commonality these days it’s quite likely that there could have been common parts from other suppliers but not as a formal arrangement between Fore and PSA.

PS Edit. The Aisin gearbox in the C5 is likely the TF 80 450nm. Same as Mondeo 2.0 litre tdci, and the XC70 2.4 5 cylinder AWD. A well regarded gearbox. Shortly after Ford moved towards Powershift a dual synchro clutch type.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts