New to caravans, length impact

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They both have Side beds, which we prefer but, you might think about having a van with a low level bunk to put the rug rats into at nightfall, top toe. And then you can relax. Depending on the weather sit outside without a weather cover, not sure what the weather is like in NZ. . With the side bed the kids can play on there, duvet on the floor, no harm done, small hand vacum cleaner to clean the van floor every other day,

For a six week trip in France we bought a twin tub washing machine, £60, greaat for washing clothes at Outside temps. . Shreddies need a good wash every week. Take the kids to a local Town swim pool whenever you can as the small dose chlorine will help and give them a great time away from lovely rivers.
I only say this from living in West Africa for 30 years. A lot of the time the bush.
The Sante Fe should do you well .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am wondering if the OP has checked whether he can insure the units if a non resident of NZ as he will not have a permanent address plus of course the cost of the premium for 6 months?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Buckman said:
I am wondering if the OP has checked whether he can insure the units if a non resident of NZ as he will not have a permanent address plus of course the cost of the premium for 6 months?

It depends, but it does need looking into. Many countries have provisions for non-residents to register and insure vehicles without having a permanent address in that country. In fact, non-residents are often exempt from local vehicle tax and the vehicles get special number plates that identify them as such. It would be wise to check what the procedure is, in this case in New Zealand, or what possible restrictions may apply.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Buckman said:

The insurance (Covi) accepts non-residents. I did just apply for a "virtual address" to use for registering the car etc (otherwise you need a friend address). I do have to pay 12 months insurance, that still seems cheaper than the temporary insurances though.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
abyz12345 said:
The insurance (Covi) accepts non-residents. I did just apply for a "virtual address" to use for registering the car etc (otherwise you need a friend address). I do have to pay 12 months insurance, that still seems cheaper than the temporary insurances though.

And what is the position regarding registering the vehicles in New Zealand? There may be benefits if you can register as a non-resident.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
abyz12345 said:
........................ Indeed pretty much every tourist uses a campervan here (or car+AirBNB), however as we will move much slower than most the benefit of a separate car would seem to outweigh the ease of getting a campervan (rental or buy/sell).

Renters get a serviced fully equipped insured vehicle that will come with all the equipment you need for a comfortable enjoyable trip.
You have no guarantee of that as a private buyer.
They will have breakdown backup and likely a Satnav and a toll tag all in and they won't have the time pressured hassle of selling at the end of their trip.

Do you know about these chains of accommodation?...... both have discount clubs you can join and members get access to other money saving discounts.
e.g.......Discount on the inter island ferry.
These chains cater for tourists who have hired cars or those with caravans or campervans.

Kiwi

TopTen

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
abyz12345 said:
........................ Indeed pretty much every tourist uses a campervan here (or car+AirBNB), however as we will move much slower than most the benefit of a separate car would seem to outweigh the ease of getting a campervan (rental or buy/sell).

Renters get a serviced fully equipped insured vehicle that will come with all the equipment you need for a comfortable enjoyable trip.
You have no guarantee of that as a private buyer.
They will have breakdown backup and likely a Satnav and a toll tag all in and they won't have the time pressured hassle of selling at the end of their trip.

Do you know about these chains of accommodation?...... both have discount clubs you can join and members get access to other money saving discounts.
e.g.......Discount on the inter island ferry.
These chains cater for tourists who have hired cars or those with caravans or campervans.

Kiwi

TopTen

How much would a decent sized motorhome cost for six months? Then the other disadvantage is that they are limited in areas that the OP may want to access. At least with a UK imported caravan there’s a ready market for them in New Zealand. The Santa Fe shouldn’t be a problem to sell given it’s a local car in good demand. So for a six month family trip the OPs approach seems well thought out.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Lutz said:
And what is the position regarding registering the vehicles in New Zealand? There may be benefits if you can register as a non-resident.

Unsure, it is a second hand car (got it yesterday) and I am not aware of benefits being a non-resident.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
otherclive said:
How much would a decent sized motorhome cost for six months?
Initially we planned to go with a motorhome, and break even seemed to be around 4 months (rent vs buy+sell). The big disadvantage of rent is that you have a fixed return date, whilst now we are flexible.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
abyz12345 said:
otherclive said:
How much would a decent sized motorhome cost for six months?
Initially we planned to go with a motorhome, and break even seemed to be around 4 months (rent vs buy+sell). The big disadvantage of rent is that you have a fixed return date, whilst now we are flexible.

The caravan gives you the advantage of pitching up for a while and using the car solo to explore areas not accessible to a motorhome. Also no need to tidy up every time you want to go out. Enjoy the trip it sounds great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts