New to Caravans...Looking for advice

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice.

I have a Renult Scenic and was thinking about buying a caravan but have some questions about them. I have a young family (2 kids 5 and 2)

Whats the max size caravan you can have with my car?

Thinking of travelling to France in it yearly..so is there a age of caravan I dont want to go for

are there any extra insurance's I need to take out for my caravan.

Is there anything else I need to know about buying one.

Thank you for your help

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Matthew

First of all you need to find out the maximum towing limit for your car as stated by the manufacturer.This should be in the vehicle handbook. After you have ascertained what weight you can legally and safely tow you could start to look for suitable caravans.

More information is available by clicking on Home Page of this website and following the links for 'towing law' and 'beginners'.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/legal/index.htmll
Caravan insurance is not compulsory in the UK but it's advisable.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As well as checking the maximum towing weight, also check the maximum gross train weight - most manufacturers quote the maximum weight that can be towed with the car at its maximum permitted total laden mass (MPTLM). Renault has a history of quoting towing limits that are greater than the difference between the car's maximum gross weight and its MPLTM, which means you can only use it if the car is lightly loaded (e.g. only two people on board).

Also check your kerbweight - whilst it usually has no legal significance unless you passed your test after 1996, there is oft-quoted advice that ideally the maximum laden weight of the caravan should be no more than about 85% of the car's kerbweight.

There are numerous models of megane, so no-one will be able to answer your question as to the "max size caravan" you can tow, which will also depend on when you passed your test and/or whether you have passed a trailer test.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts