new to caravans need help!!

Jul 24, 2005
Visit site
hi im new and intend buying a caravan very soon,can anybody help me with what caravans that i can tow .i have vauxhall zafira 2lt dti year 2000 model comfort. i was looking at an abbey 340 6 berth and was not sure whether i could tow it or not .

help would be much appreciated.

gary

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Without knowing more about your car it is hard to be accurate. We could do with knowing which exact model you have. For the rest of my answer I have presumed you have a Zafira 2.0dti CLUB, Yr 2000.

The Zafiras weight is APPRoX 1450kgs. 85% of this would be 1233Kgs, 90% would be 1305kgs.

As you are VERY new to caravanning both major clubs, and just about everyone else out there would suggest that you do not try to tow a caravan weighing more than 85% of your car. The lighter the caravan is the better. This means you need to look for a van with a MTPLM weight of no more than 1233kgs, or 1300kgs at the very most if you want to take a bit of a risk.

Any relatively new 6 berth caravan will be heavier than this, and most, if not all, will actually be heavier than your car, which I believe is illegal and VERY dangerous.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gary,

Sadly its bad news. The Vauxhall Zafira (2000) 2.0 DTI model has a very low towing limit (1050Kg Max), That is its legal maximum, and is specified by Vauxhall.

I do not belive you will find a 6 berth caravan that will match teh Zafiras limit. Sorry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As John L has pointed out, the Zafira has a very low max. tow limit and as this is the LEGAL limit (along with the gross train weight) you cannot exceed it, irrespective of the cars kerbweight.

For more info on the facts of towing, look at the National Trailer Towing web site (www.ntta.org)

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
If you visit http://www.whattowcar.com/ you will be able to check out vehicle matches without paying a fee. It's a shame Zafiras have low towing weights. Happy hunting.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Not all Zafiras have a low towload, only the 2.0DTI, re. John L'S response. Sonic's reply does not take the manufacturer's maximum permissible towload into account, so don't be confused by the weights quoted in his text.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not all Zafiras have a low towload, only the 2.0DTI, re. John L'S response. Sonic's reply does not take the manufacturer's maximum permissible towload into account, so don't be confused by the weights quoted in his text.
yea Lutz i agree but dont forget Gary is new to caravaning and should stick to the 85% rule at least until he gets some experience,dont you agree

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gary

If you are thinking of purchasing a brand new s'van from a dealership they should give you a printout of your towing vehicles capabilities. If you are going 'second hand' then it is more of a problem.

If you are going down the second hand market please ensure that the c'van you are thinking of buying is not stolen or even an insurance write-off. It is worth talking to 'CHRIS' before parting with any of your hard earned cash.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gary,

Sadly its bad news. The Vauxhall Zafira (2000) 2.0 DTI model has a very low towing limit (1050Kg Max), That is its legal maximum, and is specified by Vauxhall.

I do not belive you will find a 6 berth caravan that will match teh Zafiras limit. Sorry
The lightest 6 berths are the Avondale and the Bailey. I did this research when I towed with a Zafira. Yes it has a reallylow towing limit ...Shame

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The Zafira 2.0DTI is one of those cases where the maximum permissible towload is actually less than 85%.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts