New to caravans

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I want to buy a caravan to live in while working away and have seen a Luna Delta 2015 for just over £18000, would you recommend this or any other? All answers great full as I know nothing about caravans at all and what to look for, however i do want a fixed bed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I want to buy a caravan to live in while working away and have seen a Luna Delta 2015 for just over £18000, would you recommend this or any other? All answers great full as I know nothing about caravans at all and what to look for, however i do want a fixed bed.
Lunar went out of business a while back and are unlikely to be re established. Whilst most of the appliances and chassis parts are generic to other makes bodywork and internal furniture is not. So anything specific Lunar is likely to be extremely difficult to source. It’s bad enough currently trying to source parts for caravans and motorhomes where the manufacturer is still in business.

Reactions: AndyC1965
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I have a 2015 Clubman. A slightly shorter single axle version of the Delta. What OC says is correct. But nevertheless we are very happy with our van. However. I was shocked at the price, but that is just a sign of the times.

John

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Lunar went out of business a while back and are unlikely to be re established. Whilst most of the appliances and chassis parts are generic to other makes bodywork and internal furniture is not. So anything specific Lunar is likely to be extremely difficult to source. It’s bad enough currently trying to source parts for caravans and motorhomes where the manufacturer is still in business.
Could you recommend a different van for around this price to look out for?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Could you recommend a different van for around this price to look out for?
The large TA Eldiss models like Buccaneers seem to be well regarded and two forum members have them. But Swift and Bailey are the other two mainstream makes. Coachman are highly specified caravans that have a good reputation. One manufacturer that does consistently well in annual surveys are Adria. Made in Slovenia but have been available in Britain for a long while now. You don’t necessarily need a TA as there are some long SA too. Make sure it has a full service history, and a very recent damp survey. Depending on year the damp ingress warranty may be transferable but that will require a FSH. If you buy from a dealer you get far better consumer rights should things go awry.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A lot of Lunars suffered from damp around the three front windows. Your best bet is to buy from a dealer using a credit card to pay a deposit and to have a small amount on finance to extra protection. You are also covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
If buying privately get an Approved Workshop Technician to check over the caravan. Cost is about £100 but a it cheaper than spending £1000's doing repairs for damp etc.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree that if this is your first caravan a good dealer is your best bet. There is a shortage at the moment and prices are high which has encouraged a lot of people to palm off ones with serious problems although if you are looking at 2015 or newer there is less chance of a problem. Using credit card for part payment adds to your rights if things go wrong and dealers have a liability under the CPA if you buy off them. With private sales you have more risk of a problem model and less rights if it happens. I would avoid buying privately unless you have the caravan checked by a caravan engineer or you take someone with you who knows what to look for.
There are also some scammers out there, as with cars, who will try to sell a caravan that does not exist asking for money in advance and promising whatever they think will persuade you to pay up front.
As for makes if you refer to the magazines consumer surveys you will find that Adria and Coachman always come out as the two best although both makes can be heavy so you need the tow car to match. Swift and Bailey are more or less interchangeable in the middle with Lunar and then Eldiss coming last.
You do however have to live with the caravan chosen so looking just at the above is not everything.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking at fixed beds you have three basic layouts, side bed, transverse bed and rear with central toilet.
Side beds come in two different formats with either the bed tucked at the back corner with a toilet compartment alongside or with a toilet across the back and the bed ahead. The first option keeps the length and weight down but the toilet will be cramped. The second gives more room for dressing, washing etc and can still keep length down. The main drawback is the fact that one person gets the outside and if the other needs the toilet in the night they have to climb over the first one.
The transverse bed is across the caravan, it does allow you to get out both sides and is easier to make up but once down it does restrict the room at the foot making it difficult to pass an many models. If you look at this check you are happy with this although the bed will slide back during the day making the passage normal.
The centre toilet and end bed possibly needs the most length but gives you a separate bedroom cut off from the lounge and is best if you are likely to have others with you as it gives far more privacy at night but the smaller dimensions of the bedroom might make it claustrophobic for some.
What suits you is personal and only you can decide which you feel is best but each maker has normally got a variation on each in their range so the choice is yours there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts