New To The Forum - Perhaps The Youngest Member?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd join based on the recommendation of a friend. I'm a slightly unusual caravanner for three reasons; firstly I'm into classic/vintage caravans, secondly, I have four of them(!) and thirdly, I'm only 18 years old!
I have been caravanning regularly since I was just a few days old and was lucky enough to be given my Grandparents' old 1988 ABI Award Dawnstar when I was just 15 years old as they had bought a newer caravan but didn't want to get rid of it. I passed my driving test in early 2013 at the age of 17, got a car a week after passing and had the car booked in for a towbar fitting the afternoon that I got it! I enjoyed a summer of touring all over North Yorkshire where I live with friends and family.

As mentioned earlier, I'm very interested in old caravans. In August, the opportunity came my way to purchase a 1963 Sprite Alpine for just £60. It needed an awful lot of work and was 120 miles away, but undeterred, I jumped at the opportunity to own a classic caravan. I've started rennovations to it and currently it resides on my driveway stripped to a bare shell, awaiting the exterior repaint and the internal re-fit. But another caravan got in the way first...

Around Spetember I got a phone call from a friend who'd spotted a derelict 1969 Sprite 400 sitting in someone's garden that was going to be scrapped and they'd been offered it for free. I jumped at the opportunity to own that too and couldn't believe that it had sat untouched for 15 years and all it needed was two new tyres - the roadlights even worked first time! This caravan was fully restored by myself. I mainly worked on the interior, giving it a full vintage makeover. I spent from October through to Christmas Eve using it most weekends - it's a surprisingly cosy caravan to say it's not very well insulated and only has single glazing!

Just before Christmas, caravan number four came along in the form of a 1962 Sprite Musketeer. This was all original inside and didn't even have any damp! It had been laid up for 21 years but towed perfectly fopr the short drive back to my storage compound. I've started replacing some of the interior wallboarding which was warped, but sadly work ground to a halt because...

Just last week I swapped my beloved 1969 Sprite 400 for a 1964 all original Sprite 400. This particular model has been untouched and is 100% as it was when it was new. Incidentally, it was last used for a holiday in 1972 and when I got it, it was still on its' original 1964 Cross-Ply tyres! This is the project that I am working on the most at the moment. It needs a repaint inside and out and a bit of TLC, but it's in amazing shape for a 50 year old caravan!

That's just about it for me. I've been reading Practical Caravan magazine for as long as I can remember, and I have every issue of it dating back to 2003 on my bookshelf - adding to my archive of caravan magazines and brochures that dates back to the 1950's. For me, caravanning is an obsession; but nonetheless, it's my favourite pasttime!

If you see me about with one of my old caravans, be sure to drop by and say hi!

Cameron.

PS, for three years now I've been running a blog showing my restoration progress as well as offering tons of advice for people who own older caravans. Be sure to check it out: www.coolcaravanning.blogspot.co.uk

My 1988 ABI Award Dawnstar:
photo+%25283%2529.JPG

My 1963 Sprite Alpine:
IMG_0757.JPG

My 1969 Sprite 400:
IMG_1409.JPG

My 1962 Sprite Musketeer:

My 1964 Sprite 400:

May 7, 2008
Visit site
Oops, the photos didn't upload very well. Here they are again:

My 1988 ABI Award Dawnstar:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VWooDMERVaA/TgD_LghifDI/AAAAAAAAABc/gGlxSPHs_xI/s1600/photo+%25283%2529.JPG

My 1963 Sprite Alpine:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nWQXF7o_WL0/UfvTEWMjVdI/AAAAAAAAAN4/gISPjBFRBLc/s1600/IMG_0757.JPG

My 1969 Sprite 400:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-axWICrgsYzQ/UqD_-Krx5EI/AAAAAAAAAY4/VpQN_Bb2GKM/s1600/IMG_1409.JPG

My 1962 Sprite Musketeer:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201664588639965&set=o.144124619046&type=3&theater

My 1964 Sprite 400 (photo album):
https://www.facebook.com/cameron.burns3/media_set?set=a.10201794309682910.1073741827.1336895829&type=3

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Cameron
Did you join a few years ago and have begun to post now? The reason I ask is that you're shown as having joined on 7/5/2008 which makes you a long serving forum member.
Whenever you joined, welcome to the forum
smiley-smile.gif

We will look forward to reading about your restorations and thanks for the photos which I edited slightly so that they would fit onto the forum page.
When you add photos you can resize them to fit by adding the size that you want into the dimensions boxes from the photo dialogue box 600x400 is about the maximum size for the forum so that they can be seen without having to scroll.
It's always nice when on a caravan site to see a well looked after 'veteran' caravan. Are you coming to the Practical Caravan Rally at Stowford Farm Meadows in May?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Cameron welcome to the forum. Pics of rebuilds are popular on here: keep posting. Don't think you are the current youngest. Mickarooney says he is only 15; but he doesn't own a 'van.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome Cameron.

Excellent restos. Maybe PCv should contact you for an article.
Looks like you have a chosen career already!

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Cameron Welcome to the Forum. We had a Sprite 400 much like the one in your photo. Had some wonderfully times with it.
i remember painting ours with Dulux Gloss:- White & Magnolia.
I also fitted a second hand carver heater don't remember the model but it was before the 1800 model. A guy where I worked gave it to me and with no thought to gas soundness regulations etc I just cut the hole in the floor, piped it up and off we went.
it was wonderful. I also fitted a couple of small flourescent 12 volt lights along with a second hand lorry battery.
nearly all sites those days offered a battery charging service although we didn't use the lights that much and with no twelve volt TV those days the battery would last quite a good few nights.
your pictures have brought it all back.
Again welcome to the Forum best regards Brian

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Cameron
This is a belated welcome to the practical caravan forum (I have not been well had a another stay in hospital ) any questions you will get and answer they are a great on here M8

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts