new tow bar and 13 pin electric problem

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
just had a witter detachable towbar fitted to the x3 but it had 13 pin electrics and a adpater supplied with it. The problem I have is that when the adapter is fixed in position the cables just dangle on the floor so when attached to the caravan the sockets catch on the floor. I was thinking of fixing the adapter to the bootom of the detachable towbar with plastic tie wraps (heavy duty) I just wondered if any one else has this problem and if so what solutions have you used (the two ends of the 13pin adapter do have metal clips on but I can't figure out where these go)

Many thanks for any help

Ian ( Joanne's husband)

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Joanne...I had the same problem with my X5. To overcome this I wrap the black and grey cables, from the van, loosely around the front of the A frame allowing both plugs to hang down about 4 inches below the tow ball. I then run an small bungie strap through the hooks on each of the 13 pin adapter sockets. I then hook the strap onto each side of the Alko stabaliser handle.

We have travelled around 10,000 towing miles with no problems and the cables do not get snagged.

hope my explanation is understandable...Mal

Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
When I had the same set up 7 pin to 13 pin via an adapter I put a bungee (length whatever) and put it around the cable going through the metal clip (for better location) and looped it around the jockey wheel stem which kept it out of harms way and allowed it to move when cornering

TRENDING THREADS