New tow car

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
I have currently got a kia sorrento 2.5cdti auto and for what we use it its costing to much just to run to work and back it has a max towing weight of 2800kgs and our caravan mptlm is 1401kgs around 50% of the capability.

With that in mind im considering getting a smaller tow car either a vauxhall astra 1.9cdti 16v(150ps) design or SRi with a max towing weight of 1500kgs this is 93.5% match of the caravan or a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9CDTi 16v (150ps)design or elite with a max towing weight of 1600kgs giving a 87% match or the same engined vauxhall signam.

Please can anyone give me any idea of what these cars are like as a tow car and any experiances anyone has had with these cars.

Cheers

G

When you state maximum towing weight I assume you are quoting the figures given by the manufacturer. These are probably the absolute maximum the car can tow and should not really be used for normal driving. You should really be looking at the kerbweight and using that as a guide to the maximum weight the car will tow. Your van is 1400kg so I think that you could be pushing things with the cars you have in mind. Have a look at

Whattowcar.com

to play around with your choices.

Oct 15, 2006
Visit site
It seems to me that if your van weighs 1400kgs you might struggle with an Astra. My caravan weighs 1321kgs, and I tow with a 2.2dti Omega estate. If the Signum (which I think was a direct replacement for the Omega)pulls half as well, then you'll be on to a winner. For the record, when I last changed my car I seriously considered the 1.9cdti Vectra, and only decided against it because it was too much like my company car (an Astra) - where do you think the last place I want to be reminded of on my day off is?

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
i keep seeing every one stating max tow weight this figer is for bouth traler and pay load of the car combind not max tow weight this was pointed out to me by the minestry when i was towing a traler whith a car on it he sead the max you shuld tow is your curb weight

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
what about a seat alambra, or a vw sharan, ford galaxy they say these 1.9 tdi's get about 45miles to the gallon. im thinking of changing when we change the van ive got a grand cherokee jeep 4.0L that does about 16 to the gallon solo or towing so we would save at least

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It would be very inadvisable to use a 85% figure based on the specified maximum towload. This applies especially to 4x4's with very high towloads, sometimes as high as 3500kg. If you take take 85% of that (2975kg) you would usually be higher than the kerbweight of the towcar which, in the case of a caravan, is very risky and to be avoided at all costs.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

When you say - costing too much to run to work - I presume you mean fuel consumption.

The extra 20 or 30 quid a month it is costing will pale into insignificance when you work out the cost of changing the vehicle.

The Sorrento is aclaimed by practically all the press and a high percentage of owners as currently the best towcar on the market. Do you really want to chuck that away and compromise your vanning for a few litres of diesel?!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

I agree entirely with David W's comments - change a Sorrento for a Vauxhall Astra or Vectra, is this a joke post?

Why did you buy a 4x4 if you can't afford the diesel to drive it?

My advice, keep the Sorrento and buy a bike to get to work.

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi Andrew

I agree entirely with David W's comments - change a Sorrento for a Vauxhall Astra or Vectra, is this a joke post?

Why did you buy a 4x4 if you can't afford the diesel to drive it?

My advice, keep the Sorrento and buy a bike to get to work.
I have towed for many years with a large variety of cars including fwd i changed my discovery td5 in february this year for the new vectra 150bhp and having now covered 12000 miles 7 of those towing a 2005 coachman amara 520/4 it is one of the best tow cars i have ever driven in fact i am getting a far more stable tow than i ever did with the disco and averaging 30.6 mpg towing and 45.8 solo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
so how do i work out the 85% rule is it the cars kerbweightx85% or is it max tow weightx85%.

HELP!!!!!!!!!
Hello Andrew,

85% is not a rule, it is only a guidleine. However as Benny has stated it is based on the tugs 'kerbweight'

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
I tow with an Astra SRi 1.9 CDTi 150 Estate. Its a 2005 model and we have towed a 2005 Bailey Ranger 460/2 (1130Kg)and now a 2007 Bailey Ranger 460/4 (1172Kg).

It tows very well and never lacks power.

BUT I would not be happy towing 1400Kg with it, that would be a 100% match.

I also have some concerns over the electronics on this car - I am returning it tomorrow to have them checked out for a second time. It has 'almost' let me down twice cutting out but have managed to limp to a Vauxhall agent both times, fortunately neither time was towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i keep seeing every one stating max tow weight this figer is for bouth traler and pay load of the car combind not max tow weight this was pointed out to me by the minestry when i was towing a traler whith a car on it he sead the max you shuld tow is your curb weight
Hello Benny,

whilst I am not fully aware of the details of your particular incident, what you have stated is not the universal law.

All new vehicles are rated by the manufacture to establish the maximum mass(weight) they can tow. It is not a simple application of a percentage of the kerbweight or MIRO, but each vehicle type has to undergo a series of test to establish the limit. This is a legal maximum. and it can range from 0% (no towing allowed) to over 100%.

In a similar way the car manufacture also rate the vehicle for a Maximum Train Weight. This is the combined masses of car and trailer, and must not be exceeded.

However, lower limits may apply depending on the drivers license restrictions.

Despite the above some organisations have issued guidelines. These are not legally enfoceable but it does make sence to consider them.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Well it wasn't the electronics! It was the fuel system. Five grands worth of work to be done, thank goodness for warranties.

I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone now, I will need to keep mine for a while but as soon as possible it will be gone ------- once I get it back that is!

TRENDING THREADS