NEW TOW CAR

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just bought a new kia sedonna 2.9 diesal se (manual) ,the salesman told me that the car didn't need running in & is ready to tow. i have always believed that a new car had to be run in for lets say 1000 miles , as we are of to france at the end of july i am a litte worried that he may have wrongly informed me just to get a sale.....your thoughts please.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Go for it. The engine will 'loosen up' as you clock up the miles and I am sure you will see mpg improve over the next few months. The days of 'Running In - Please Pass' which used to appear on stickers on the rear windows of new cars has long since disappeared. Take it easy for the first 1000 miles, but don't be too worried about doing serious damage. Enjoy your new car and happy caravanning.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pete,

I bought a new sedona same as yours last year, the manual says 500 miles before towing,! Ive done 7000 in a year the last 1000 maybe towing and the car is now driving better than it ever has, I think the towing did it good, its up to you really 500 miles isnt much but maybe you need to do it to get everthing running smoothly first,if not just take it easy for a while !!!! brill cars though eh??

May 4, 2005
Visit site
The reason for not towing is to allow the clutch to 'bed in' properly. It will effect your warranty if damage is caused by towing within the manufacturers stated period. Contact Kia customer service (number in your handbook) for advice.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We picked up our new alhambra three weeks ago, we where initially going to cancel our weekend away as the car was ready for delivery on the friday we had planned to go. the sales man assured me that it was no problem to tow with the car despite the fact that it only had 10 miles on the clock when we hitched up. We just took it nice and steady and made sure the engine neither laboured or got used above 2300 rpm. also made sure i used the brakes as gentle as possible untill they where also beded in as was the case with the clutch. Our car has still only done 600 miles and last weekend it towed our van again, this time on the motorway to longridge and it towed like a dream getting better all the time. Im sure your kia will be just the same for you, enjoy your new car.

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
We picked up our new alhambra three weeks ago, we where initially going to cancel our weekend away as the car was ready for delivery on the friday we had planned to go. the sales man assured me that it was no problem to tow with the car despite the fact that it only had 10 miles on the clock when we hitched up. We just took it nice and steady and made sure the engine neither laboured or got used above 2300 rpm. also made sure i used the brakes as gentle as possible untill they where also beded in as was the case with the clutch. Our car has still only done 600 miles and last weekend it towed our van again, this time on the motorway to longridge and it towed like a dream getting better all the time. Im sure your kia will be just the same for you, enjoy your new car.
We picked up our Kia Sorrento about three days before towing to France (Loire region) a couple of years ago. Fortunately we hadn't read the caveats about not towing or I would've been a nervous wreck! No problems - it was - and still is - a dream of a towcar.

Aug 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pete we bought a sedona earlier this year with only 7000 miles on the clock. We found with ours that the engine would only rev up to 2700rpm the first time we towed with it but honestly that is not a problem as it has loads of grunt. we have over 10,000 miles on now and it revs quite freely. Sorry the reply is late just saw the date. How did your trip go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts