New Tow Hitch, Which one to get....?

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
As my Van is quite old (1995) and doubt it has ever been changed, I was wondering if it would be worth getting a new Tow Hitch. I personally would feel happier with a new one......So in effect I have answered my own question in that sense.... :unsure:

The one I have is quite stiff, you have to bash the handle down to get it to lock onto the tow ball. maybe just needs a grease up? its the old type with no stabiliser... but just looking at it, doesn't instil confidence in the job it needs to do.....

As I haven't towed with a stabiliser hitch before I could get this one so won't be missing what I've never had

KNOTT AVONRIDE 575003 CAST COUPLING HEAD 1400-2700
ebay item number 261745353617

or this one with a stabiliser,

CARAVAN ALKO 3004 STABILISER PACK
ebay item number 121559021483

What do you reckon?? Cant get the damn links to work............. :angry:

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
My towball is a fixed (normal one) genuine landrover Item, which so they said when I took it down there is suitable for the Al-Ko 3004 hitch, its got a flat top and an extended neck???

I've also read that I might have an issue with the handle as I have a wheel on the back of my car?? They didn't mention anything about that though :unsure:

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
How old is you Freelander ?

On some of the 4 x 4's there is clearance issues with some types of stabiliser handles

That was one reason when i changed mine i fitted the ws3000 as it dose not need to be vertical to unhitch they might have modified the newer 3004 to take this into account, as i haven't seen the problem posted or asked about for quite a while.

Looking at the photos it looks the new one looks like the 4x4 handle ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have rear mounted spare wheel and use AL KO tow hitch stabiliser,to get clearance I removed the handle which on ours is in two parts, drilled and bolted the 2 parts together which makes a handle similar to the 4x4 handle. I hitch up without the handle and use the handle to lock the 2 'horns ' on to the towball ,then remove the handle for towing. To unhitch use the handle to unlock the 'horns' which then clear the rear wheel.

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Sproket said:
How old is you Freelander ?

On some of the 4 x 4's there is clearance issues with some types of stabiliser handles

That was one reason when i changed mine i fitted the ws3000 as it dose not need to be vertical to unhitch they might have modified the newer 3004 to take this into account, as i haven't seen the problem posted or asked about for quite a while.

Looking at the photos it looks the new one looks like the 4x4 handle ?

Its a 2002 model with the spare wheel on the door, Have just looked on the landrover forum I use and you can get a 1 inch spacer plate to rectify the issue of the stabiliser handle hitting the spare wheel whilst hitching up.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Why not go to your local caravan dealer and have a look on there forcourt & see if they have a van with the new hitch fitted, as the handle is different to the old style 3004 handle, tell them your concern regarding the handle fouling and ask if you could try coupling & uncoupling it to your Freelander, if they think there is a possibility of a sale of a new hitch I'm sure they would oblige as it would be better than using a spacer.

Worth a try in my book ;)

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
That's a good idea, :)

So all in all is the stabilised hitch worth the extra money, bearing in mind I haven't had any issues towing with a basic hitch so far.....Saying that I don't really have a lot of towing miles under my belt yet :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts