New towcar

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
The biggest you can get in a Vectra!!! The bigger the engine the more relaxed and less tiring the journey will be, and when you are towing you will be unlikely to see a difference in mpg between a 2.0 and a 2.5 turbo diesel

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There is no such thing as a 2.5 diesel Vectra. There is the older 2.2DTI or the 3.0CDTI, but for most purposes a 150hp 1.9CDTI would be a good buy.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sonic

Thanks but have had nothing but bad experiences with Fords, the last one we had (everyone remember Easter 2006) could have caused us a nasty if not fatal accident, so steering very clear of Fords. I know they are not all the same, but never again!!

Lolly x

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We were going to get a vectra but the 150bhp cdti only had a towing limit of 1500kgs which was to close to the weight of our caravan(1420kgs).So we went to look and eventually bought a citroen C5 138bhp which has to towing limit of 1700kgs which is better for us.

We live in Hartlepool and the first time out with the new tug we went down to longleat it was something like a 750mile trip and it towed the van really well and we had no problems what so ever apart from the traffic jams.

Just another possible choice of car for you.

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can understand why some people prefer to have a car with a higher kerbweight because it is a bit too close to the laden weight of the caravan for comfort, but I can't see the logic of wanting a car with a bigger margin on the towing limit unless there are plans to buy a heavier caravan some time in the future.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
While I agree with what Lutz is saying, I once read ( I think under the NCC/Towing advice) that you should aim for 75% or less than the maximum tow limit.

ie. If the max towing limit of the car is 2000kg then you should aim to tow a caravan/trailer with less than 1600kg MTPLM as this in effect puts less strain on the engine/gearbox, but as others will say this is ONLY given advice and with modern engines probably now obselete,

best regards, Martin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin

I think you have the figures slightly mixed up:

The CC recommend a towing ratio of 85%, but that is not 85% of the towing capacity of the car, but 85% of the cars kerbweight. This is a sensible target but a legal requirement.

Please note (and I think you probably already do know) that the towing capacity of a car is stated by the manufacturer, and it is not a fixed ratio for all cars. Each car and even models within a range can be different. Some limits may be greater than the kerbweight of the car and some can be substantially lower - even lower than 85% . So it is vitally important that you check your cars limits with the supplier or manufacturer.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Without detailed inside information on what factor determined the towload limit for any particular car model, whether it was engine cooling, the brakes, the clutch or structural constraints, recommending a fixed percentage margin on the towload limit does not make sense.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2007 Arizona and tow it with a Volvo V70 D5, absolute dodle, and over 50 mpg solo, and well over 30 mpg towing, with loads of bottom end grunt, before that it used to be a 2.4 V70 Dual Fuel(petrol / lpg) with the adaptive Auto box, dont go there total cr*p.

Hope you are enjoying your Arizona, ours is back at Bristol having a complete new water system fitted.

Allan & Gill.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts