New vans everywhere

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Am I classified as a "snob" now?

We've caravaned for 36 years and bought our first (brand) new caravan last year, (our fourth caravan in 36 years!) and my present car (on 53 plate) is my first new car in 46 years.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
i think yo misunderstand me if you read further up i have said i think snob is a horrible word and that i do use it hence "the dreaded word" statement if you read all the posts i think youll see weve sorted out that people in new caravans arnt snobs but that maybe a few of them cant remember what its like when your just ordinary joe bloggs works down the local factory and has just started caravanning

Apr 4, 2007
Visit site
i think yo misunderstand me if you read further up i have said i think snob is a horrible word and that i do use it hence "the dreaded word" statement if you read all the posts i think youll see weve sorted out that people in new caravans arnt snobs but that maybe a few of them cant remember what its like when your just ordinary joe bloggs works down the local factory and has just started caravanning
hi i have just bought a 1991 avon perle and i love it to bits!!!

Emmy,

I know what you mean but we began caravanning 10 years ago and have had 5 vans in that time - we're searching for our ideal. Every time we change the van I think this is it but then I find another with a slightly different layout/storage/washroom, and I think that great lets change the van.... My husbands comments are unprintable. Maybe those you saw on site are also trying to find their 'perfect' van.

Christine

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
We`ve just put down a deposit on a new van (subject to it going down the drive!), but I`m still not sure I want to see the back of my `89 Award Transtar which has been a fabulous van and really does everything I need.

I don`t feel inferior with it on site as it`s far better than many newer vans in its condition, and the build quality is much, much better than the stuff churned out nowadays. It`s got a full Isabella awning (IXL poles) which is great but I can`t justify the price of getting a new one so that wont be happening, and someone somewhere will get a really nice van soon.

I wish as enthusiastic about the new van as my old one...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like the majority we started off with an older van. Ours was a 1983 Eldiss Whirlwind which was so small that my wife had to go into the toilet compartment while I made up the double bed. We now have a 2006 Bailey Pageant Normandie, a 4x4 to tow and yes we even have a satellite dish. It makes no difference to us if the people in the next pitch has an old caravan or a brand new twin axle we still speak to whoever owns the van. In my opinion it is the person who is more important rather than what they are towing.

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
For our fisrt van, bought last year, myself and my wife spent two months looking at 2nd hand vans before buying one less than 6 months old - due mainly to two reasons:

1. Interior decor on anything older than 12 months old was not to our tastes (we are of the beige generation...)

2. If we did find an acceptable interior, either the van or it's washroom didn't smell nice.

Don't forget, generally there's more disposable income and our summers in the UK are getting longer and warmer - people just don't need the hassle of air travel anymore.

May 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmy,

I own an old ace 1986 globtrotter and have had many great holidays in it .To me caravaning is about getting back to basics I in no way critisize overs for having new vans if i could afford i probably would.The whole point of true caravaning is the freedom it does not matter if its a new or old van just enjoy yourself, Ive found many a folk out there wether with new or old van very friendly there is nothing better then a barbaque and beer in the sun and with an older van it does not matter if you dent it wen you walk into it after a few to many beers.

ant :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts