Jun 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi just joined
Have bought a Eldis Wisp (1991) caravan and have a Land Rover Discovery 2 been away for 3 weeks, found out that the fridge does not work on gas or hook up also water heater not working.
Cooker and heater work on gas, water pump and lights work off battery, do not have a manual so not sure if the lights will work on mains, also no way to charge the battery I think it needs a zig unit is this right, did buy a solar panel to charge the battery, do not have a gray socket on the motor.
So a few things to sort out, no real problems can still use the van be going away in 2 weeks time, can use other things while sorting out the van.

Regards Kevin and Dilys

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Don't know whether it is of any help but my first 'van was a Wisp 440/4 1988. We had a cable that we used to connect the 12S socket between car and 'van, that ran lights and pump (cold only!). The fridge we ran on gas and never used mains hook-up or had a caravan battery. The fridge was always a bit of a beggar to light, with the door open so the viewing window can be seen, holding in the control and pressing the piezo repeatedly until lit and the pilot light seen. The 'click-click' as people set up on pitch was a regular sound!
As a sentimental hoarder I still have the brochure, then listing 3 models - 350/2 EK, 440/4 - o/s kitchen, corner washroom with bi-fold door, n/s settee/single with bunk over, and 450/4 longer o/s front berth with bunk on o/s and kitchen and corner washroom on n/s.
We paid £4150 for it new and p/exed it when our family grew and we needed an extra berth. Initially with one child we unscrewed the bunk frame and left it at home to save weight towing (max listed as 893Kg!) with a 1.4 Ford Orion!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Whatto and welcome to the forum.
I couldn't possibly tell you how my uncle fixed his Elddis motorhome fridge just when my Elddis Shamal was being traded in. :whistle:
We had a Disco TD5, was sad to see her go, nice motor. :cheer:

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Ok in addition to the above...
In 1988 the 450/4 had a longitudinal bunk along the o/s wall down to the offside corner.
That being the case:
Body length 4445mm, shipping length 5912, width 2018, ht 2394, wheel rim 4 1/2 inch, tyre size 165 SR13, Pressures 36psi, Weight 698 + 195 loading .
Bear in mind that any extras over the spec will change the weight/allowance, for example you apparently have a water heater. The alu plate usually near the lower corner of the door (outside) will confirm weights in fresh factory state +/- 5%! Also that 13" is becoming a rarer breed, wheels now are 14", so it's certainly worth having a spare wheel and tyre in case of need.
In comparison with current van weights it's definitely a featherweight, but definitely spars above it's category!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts