Newbie advice

May 28, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm thinking of buying a small caravan, maybe a swift basecamp 4. Would a ford focus 1.5 diesel ecoboost 118 bhp ,220 nm of torque have enough grunt to pull it? If not what would you recommend?
Many thanks, Tim

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum.

I had series 2 Mondeo estate with around 80-90bhp and it towed a 1300kg MTPLM plus two passengers, two dogs and was well laden. It did very wel, although not a rocket ship.l. So gruntwise your car should be fine. However, you need to check out its braked towing load specification that will give max tow load. Do you know the MTPLM of the Basecamp you are considering, as a guide is that the caravan MTPLM should not exceed 85% of the cars kerb weight. But there is margin in that guidance. Try looking at "tow car.org" which is a matching site. I think you get one free go.

A caravan Dealer would do a tow match for you, and if you are a member of either of the two Clubs they give free tow matching.

good luck and come back with any further questions.

May 28, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum.

I had series 2 Mondeo estate with around 80-90bhp and it towed a 1300kg MTPLM plus two passengers, two dogs and was well laden. It did very wel, although not a rocket ship.l. So gruntwise your car should be fine. However, you need to check out its braked towing load specification that will give max tow load. Do you know the MTPLM of the Basecamp you are considering, as a guide is that the caravan MTPLM should not exceed 85% of the cars kerb weight. But there is margin in that guidance. Try looking at "tow car.org" which is a matching site. I think you get one free go.

A caravan Dealer would do a tow match for you, and if you are a member of either of the two Clubs they give free tow matching.

good luck and come back with any further questions.
Thanks otherwise!

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Power wise you will be fine.

Exceeding max towing limit of towcar might be your issue. My googling had it at 1400kg and Basecamp 4 at
MTPLM 1450g
MiRO 1086
Total User Payload 364Kg

You aren't likely to be over 1400kg unless taking kitchen sink. 364kg is lot of payload by comparsion most caravans are 120-200kg.

Check with your vehicle and caravan insurance policies. We've lot debates on this subject without no real conclusion but best approach is keep MTPLM within max towing capacity of car. That will give insurance company one less thing to reject a claim on in case of an accident..

If buying caravan new you maybe able to get MTPLM reduced to 1400kg, not sure if it that is possible on used one but don't see why not, check with dealer.
Quite a few new caravans are advertised with a low MTPLM eg 1200kg with option to "up plate" to eg 1300kg. The lower MTPLM is to allow smaller tow vehicles to tow it.

The up plate is really document change and number stamped on load plate fitted to side of caravan, hence term "up plate". In most cases there is no physical changes to caravan eg stronger suspension springs or chassis.

Alternatively look for another caravan, plenty of 4berths with MTPLM of 1400kg or less.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
the Swift Basecamp brochure puts the MTPLM of the four berth at 1146kg . Where did you get 1450 kg from?
So the OP should be okay with his proposed combination of car and caravan.

IMG_1241.png

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Local NZ dealer webpage. Swift UK brochure says " MTPLM(lower limit) 1146kg". Do a bit more research and you will find it can be up plated.
NZ dealers up plate them by default to get higher payload. Great for extra toys like ebikes and kayaks that Basecamps can carry inside.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Local NZ dealer webpage. Swift UK brochure says " MTPLM(lower limit) 1146kg". Do a bit more research and you will find it can be up plated.
NZ dealers up plate them by default to get higher payload. Great for extra toys like ebikes and kayaks that Basecamps can carry inside.
I don’t need to do more research your post could have led to the OP completely binning the Basecamp choice, when in fact it is a suitable combination. in this country. The MTPLM of 1146 kg is comfortably within the OPs range for his towcar. I did read that it may be possible to uprate but that’s best left to the OP to look into as again he’s in U.K. not NZ.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts