newbie here dealers or private?

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi all im new to the site and im just wondering what the consensus is regarding buying.
Im looking to purchase a van (not sure what make yet) around the end of winter, and Im unsure as to where I should spend the money.

Maybe I can get some advice regarding the make on here if possible currently Im looking at Swift.

Im looking on auto trader and Gumtree at the moment also doing lots of research on you tube.

I am going to have around 10k to play with and want to live full time in my caravan.

Do i go to a dealer or do i go private. I would as a matter of course get the van independently checked whoever I buy from so would this negate the "peace of mind" i would get buying from a dealer.

I know what retail dealers are like and I just want to make sure I get the best deal I can afford

thanks in advance
Mike

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you do not know anything about caravans use a reputable dealer. The market is short of stock and there are a lot of people trying to offload seriously faulty models onto unsuspecting buyers at the moment. At the same time most dealer have little or no used models for sale so if you can wait I would as prices should drop and new stock arrive as the new models arrive at dealers next month and the trade ins appear.
I am afraid the forums are alive with people who have been duped because they did not know how to check the purchase, you should pay less that way but you get no guarantee or useful legal rights if things go wrong. If you do buy privately you need to get a caravan engineer to look at it and report, make sure the seller has evidence of ownership, all service documents, transfer any guarantee and check the CRIS register to make sure it is not stolen or on HP before you go further, and then have the seller demonstrate that all working parts are working.
Beware of anything that looks too cheap as these tend to be the problem ones.
Not sure how urgent your need to purchase is, but if you can wait a while for prices to drop I would.

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
hey thanks so much for the reply and no im not in any hurry to buy as of yet i really need to do my homework to prevent me making any stupid mistakes.

this is the kind of thing im looking for if you have the time i would love to hear your thoughts on this particular sale

once again many thanks

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Seeing you don"t know much about caravans i would buy from dealer then you get a warranty if there any faults. With you not having a part x change you might get some extras thrown in the deal . like a Aquaroll Wastemaster Battery Spare wheel . Make sure the service book has been stamp up that tells it been regularly service every year from new . i hope you get a nice caravan for the amount you have .

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
At first glance it looks a reasonable buy. Obviously giving up caravanning as they are chucking everything in with it. Caravans like this are great if you’re starting out as effectively you’re buying a complete package less the awning. I’d like to see its service history, check it has been done regularly and I’d insist on an independent inspection from an independent engineer who is part of the Approved Workshop Scheme or similar.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that one looks genuine, no silly low price, indeed none at all. It should certainly be well within your budget. but do go through the checks I suggested and make sure you see it at the sellers address to verify that it is really him and do not pay a deposit until you see it as some rogues are quite happy to just take that and vanish.
Prices are high at the moment and my guess would be about £7,000 or may be a bit more will be needed if it lives up to the description.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts