Newbie Perhaps

Jun 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi Guys

You may need to know initially that we are "MOTORHOMERS" who are considering buying and changing over to the other side .....yes we are looking at buying a caravan with the decision being that we will have transport when we arrive at our destination. Plus we feel pne or two other benefits. Can anyone answer this question....Why do the modern vans have such stunning bathrooms and everyone trips off to the site showers at night (no tanks on a van)also is there a stigma between motorhomers and tuggers ? Don.t worry ....your answers won't offend. Anyway the outfit we have been looking at is the Freelander and avondale ..hope to join you all soon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think i's all to do with having to collevt water/dispose of grey water that prompts this. Plus the communal aspect of communicating.

Since having end bathrooms in my vans, and now the a biggish side bathroom with separate shower on my current van (Provence)I never use on site facilities including during the day.

No stigma as I know of, if people are polite to me I will return the manner. Just enjoy the freedom of never having to pack everything up each time you want to go out for the day.

Andrew

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tom, we have been down the same route as you, from camping to motorhome then to caravan.Reasons,family growing and leaving home, wanted more comfort and the change from motorhome to caravan, because we got fed up having to pack everything away before being able to go out for the day, then finding it difficult to park in many places.Caravan bathrooms are very luxurious now, agreed, but one of the main reasons for using site shower facilities is the amount of water used, which , unless you are on a fully serviced pitch, means filling aquarolls and emptying wastemasters,,,a LOT, which can be awkward.

As for stigma,,,never met any , after all, its not the medium you use to enjoy the "vanning" experience that is the issue, its simply a group of like minded people enjoying the same kind of break from routine, dosent matter if its a tent, motorhome or van/car combination in my opinion, as long as you enjoy yourself.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tom - regarding the change over from motorhome to caravan there have been other questions asked in this forum regarding the pros and cons of each. Each point raised has a valid reason so it is probably up to the individual which is preferred. I like my caravan.

In reply to your other comment regarding the use of site facilities in preference to the on board bathrooms, apart from the points raised regarding carrying water and disposing of waste there are other aspects to be considered. We have a Bailey 500/ and we have never used the shower in the van. Why have water all over the walls etc. in the bathroom when all the mess can be accomodated in the site showers. Also we were advised when looking for a secondhand van not to buy one with a shower. As the van is travelling there is flexing of the strucure taking place. This will eventually lead to the mastic seal around the shower failing and the floor underneath will become wet and rot. We also only use the toilet in the night in emergencies as site facilities nowadays are generally very good to excellent. So again this saves on the carrying of water and waste.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have a family of five, we always use the 'van toilet and shower. I suppose it's down to personal preference but it takes me less time to empty the cassette and gray water than it does for each family memeber to trapse of to the site facilities; coupled with the fact that I paid for a shower in the 'van, so I'm going to use it!

Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts