Newbie - Truma heating issue

Aug 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi all. I’ve just got myself a 2008 lunar quasar but unfortunately the electric heating isn’t working. The person/dealer I bought it off didn’t want to spend money fixing it as it could have left it too expensive which I understand. The gas should be working but I’ve no intention of using it anyway.

I’ve been told I’m best just to use a small portable fan heater but wither I use the Truma or not, I’d like to have it working.

My first question is should I get it fixed and use it as opposed to a fan heater and, if so, can it be set gently enough to keep the van warm at night?

Next….back to possibly repairing….is there a systematic approach to finding the problem or do I just start replacing parts/fit a used replacement?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi all. I’ve just got myself a 2008 lunar quasar but unfortunately the electric heating isn’t working. The person/dealer I bought it off didn’t want to spend money fixing it as it could have left it too expensive which I understand. The gas should be working but I’ve no intention of using it anyway.

I’ve been told I’m best just to use a small portable fan heater but wither I use the Truma or not, I’d like to have it working.

My first question is should I get it fixed and use it as opposed to a fan heater and, if so, can it be set gently enough to keep the van warm at night?

Next….back to possibly repairing….is there a systematic approach to finding the problem or do I just start replacing parts/fit a used replacement?

Thanks
Contact Gary at Arc Systems https://www.arcsystems.biz/ the Truma Ultraheat which your Lunar probably has is known for relay failure.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m assuming it’s a Truma in lounge heater. The ones I’ve had had three electric heat settings 500/1000/2000 watts. So yes you can set it to run overnight on electric using a combination of thermostat and heater power setting with the fan on auto or just at a speed set by you. If doing a service the AWS schedule will not cover repairs to the unit but the technician will charge extra, but best to get it done.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Would you be so kind as to supply a list of these other caravans technicians to the OP?
There are MCEA technicians and their location can be found via the link below

In our area they have an enclosed workshop to do work, so they don’t necessarily need to be mobile. They share the workshop with the on site AWS techs

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are MCEA technicians and their location can be found via the link below

In our area they have an enclosed workshop to do work, so they don’t necessarily need to be mobile. They share the workshop with the on site AWS techs

MCEA are also used by finance companies if there is a dispute which is why on principal is a reason why we will not use them. Not sure, but they seem to be more expensive than AWS technicians or were when we had to use them?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I would probably just buy a cheap fan heater from Argos or similar. That's likely to work out vastly cheaper than repairing the Truma unit.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....a truma ultraheat has safety cut out components that can trip and stop the heater working on electric should it overheat.
There are two components one of which resets after a short time with the electric supply turned off.
Unfortunately the other one does not reset and has to be replaced.
The fire has to be removed from the caravan to carry this out.
Best to get this done by a skilled technician who can also check to make sure the heating elements are working.

Overheat cut outs.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would probably just buy a cheap fan heater from Argos or similar. That's likely to work out vastly cheaper than repairing the Truma unit.
We tried the fan heater many years ago, but you needed to be careful when using it. A lot depends on the ampere at the site. It is not in a cupboard as our caravan is a lot more modern.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Disadvantage of a fan heater is that it will not work the blown air distribution system, and they can be tiresomely noisy.
We use a cheap fan heater to supplement the Alde as it's slow to warm up - it's no noisier than the Truma blown air we had in the previous caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We use a cheap fan heater to supplement the Alde as it's slow to warm up - it's no noisier than the Truma blown air we had in the previous caravan.
The OPs question related to heating at night. In my experience the blown air system set at say 500/1000 watts with the fan at a slow speed will be far better than a fan heater as normally their speed is not variable. The blown air system will also give heat throughout the caravan including the toilet/bathroom which a fan heater would not achieve. Whilst I can understand your approach for providing heat whilst an Alde system gets going, but a fan heater for overnight heating isn’t anywhere as good as the blown air.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The OP wanted to know whether he should fix his Truma ( preferred) or use the fan heater.
Some have steered him to solutions on the Truma. In the right hands a Truma fix is the way I’d go.

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 8, 2024
Visit site
Just thinking out loud here but is there such a unit as an all electric blown air system where by you could potentially connect it to the existing ductwork basically bypassing the truma 3002?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just thinking out loud here but is there such a unit as an all electric blown air system where by you could potentially connect it to the existing ductwork basically bypassing the truma 3002?
Try looking at Propex they are a British company with good quality products. They may offer something.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think Truma do an electric heater which simply connects to their standard ductiong - not likely to be cheap knowing Truma.

Aug 8, 2024
Visit site
I think Truma do an electric heater which simply connects to their standard ductiong - not likely to be cheap knowing Truma.
I have briefly looked at the truma website and they do one but it’s appears to be to supplement a combi heater so unsure if the fan on it would be adequate but even if it was it is pricey.

Aug 8, 2024
Visit site
What’s your views on fitting a diesel heater in the front locker connected to the existing duct work?

All these ideas I have and the simplest is just to get my truma working.lol

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s feasible but at what cost and modifications to the caravan. I would have the present one repaired and available on gas or electric. Plus if you sell the van it will be standard. Whereas a diesel heater may not be attractive for a trader or private buyer. Especially if it came from one of the suppliers on the net with unknown provenance. Those fitted in motor homes or boats from Erersbacher or Webasto don’t come cheap. But quality rarely does.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
The op doesn't mention what the heater is doing or not doing, does the green light come on on the selection switch? If it doesnt light up that could be a supply issue or the pcb.
As has been mentioned it could also be the temp limiter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts