Newbie with so many questions

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,
I have booked a 6 berth motorhome for the month of July to travel around France and possibly neighboring countries (son really wants to go to Zurich). The motor home comes with insurance and European travel kit.

I have never even been in a motor home before and my husband cant get the time off work so it will just be me and the 2 boys (age 5 and 7)! not sure what I was thinking. Anyway I have booked Ferry crossings both ways and will be landing in Dunkirk.

Any advice on:
a) a month route around france
b) tips on what to pack in the motorhome (my son is celiac so image I need to stock up on Gluten Free foods first)
c) great places to visit stay focusing on natuer and animals e.g. farms which let you stay like goat cheese, vinyeards (for me not the kids), olive, arable etc
d) any major donts!
e) can you get a European phone/sim that will let me have data and calls on the phone at a reasonable price?

All advice much appreciated.
Happy Camping

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello and welcome MDT
Sorry I can't advise on continental travel but I moved your query to Overseas Touring where it will be seen by those who can offer help and advice. :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First let me wish you luck and congratulate you for having a go 1

I'm a caravanner rather than a motor vanner but the advice would be pretty well the same.

If you have not driven in Europe before take it easy and don't try to do too many miles in a day. I would tend to hang back once you are off the boat and let the more impatient types get up the road first - it can be a bit like a Le Mans start if you are among first off.

Plan your route using www.viamichelin.com which will give you a fully detailed route you can print off if you don't have a satnav. If you do have a satnav make sure the mapping is up to date. Worth having a paper map as well. The Michelin Grand Routes is very good for overall planning.

Although quite expensive, French autoroutes are very easy to drive on, seldom busy except at weekend and around major cities and have reasonable rest areas. Those without fuel and restaurants usually have picnic tables and toilets.
Your usually take a tick as you join them and pay as you leave. many are unmanned these days and payment by credit card is easier than putting coins and notes into the toll gate.

Unless you really enjoy cities i would avoid some like Rouen, Lyons and Paris as the driving can be very unrelaxing and parking a nightmare. Better to find aa campsite in a small town with good rail connection into the city.

May not be worth joining just for a single trip, but if you can get hold of a Caravan Club Europe volume covering France or the Dutch equivalent there will be plenty of campsites to choose from. Municipal sites may be unmanned during the day with warden calling each evening for payment.

You will find some gluten-free products in French supermarkets with the same marking symbol as in UK, but it would be prudent to take some supplies. I have not seen a French restaurant advertising gluten-free dishes but it may be worth a Google search.

Get your European Health cards EHIC's soon as the service may be busy in high summer.

Be a little careful about campsites with pitches which could get wet and soft in rain. Most motorvans are front wheel drive, so if you do slip get the weight e.g. passengers as far forward as possible, not over the back wheels. Try to park in such a way that someone could tow you off easily if ground softened overnight, for example. (I've towed several folks out in these circumstances).

Many campsites now have internet connection pronounced 'wiffy' not 'why-fie' some are free some not. Some chain fast food places also have connections and you may find some towns do as well. Find the tourist information office and ask - they will also have details of all the attractions in the area.

I have not mentioned any locations as we tend to revisit the same sites most years and everyone has different reasons for liking their favourites. I like the Jura region from where you can do day trips into Switzerland - or at least the French speaking part and places like Arc en Senis Arbois and Besancon I find very agreeable.
The Puy de Dom and volcano area, Provence Haute-Alpes, Doue-la Fontaine , Beaujolis and Cluny all have good scenery and places to visit. I'm sure other members will suggest their favourites too.

Hope all this will be of some assistance. If you have specific questions don't hesitate to post again.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Thankyou! lots of great suggestions and tips. I had not considered getting stuck on site in mud! or European Health Cards. Also thank you for the tip on the Municipal sites where they come round to get payment. I would be waiting at the gate for someone to show me where I could pitch up and pay. Didn't realize you just drive in and carry on yourself.
Another question about, um hygiene, will I be able to empty the toilet at all most sites and fill up the shower water chamber? Without husband with me I am concerned how far I will have to walk to do this as wont want to leave the kids alone and not sure its a great idea to take them with me for this kind of job.

I will definitely stay out of the major cities and commute in but it would be great to be somewhere that goes all out on the 14 July French National Day. Also to see Tour Du France at some point and the Le Mans race.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Virtually all sites have a chemical toilet disposal point - if not marked as for the 'vidoir' It is usually in or very close to a toilet block and should have a tap for rinsing the toilet tank but not for any other purpose. Emptying the current generation of toilet tanks is a relatively civilised affair and you could take the kids at least to a distance where you could keep an eye on them and the job in hand.. In a motorvan you will probably have an on-board water tank holding enough for several showers etc. but this needs to be refilled. Many motor caravanner use a watering can for this as the long spout makes for easier pouring. Again most campsites have a MV service point with a long hose for this purpose and a drain in the ground into which you dump the grey water (waste) from the MV. but NOT the toilet. When you take over the MV insist that the hirer shows you were all the fillers and valves are to do this. Facilities are available at some motorway services, look for the symbol of a motorvan with a grid underneath.
i have never hired a MV but would hope that it would come with a comprehensive instruction leaflet - if not I would think twice about hiring from that company.. I would also expect that it came with supplies of the chemical to put in the toilet and flush tank.. Look at the Thetford website to see how every thing works before you set off..

I'm afraid you will find the Tour de France route very crowded - from TV coverage there appears to be a continual wall of motorvans along the route, and Le Mans will be equally busy, unless you prebook a campsite pitch.

Finally, if you are having problems, look round for a fellow Brit with a motor van and ask ( or a native if your French is reasonable). Caravaners of either type (towing or motorvans) are generally a pretty helpful bunch. You could do some investigation before leaving, particularly if you want the first few days to be holiday rather than stress.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
be aware that speed limits and tolls may vary between motor homes that are under 3.5 tonnes and those that are above 3.5tonnes. so it would be advisable to find out what size weight category your rental is..

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
It might be advisable to see about getting a toll tag. You can buy them in the UK. It will save having to find coins etc at the toll booths and will make life much easier if you are driving a RHD vehicle.

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,
We toured Normandy last August with my mother in law, who has coeliac disease. As mentioned by a previous poster, supermarkets have a good supply of gluten-free foods, in most cases at least as good as the usual suspects in the UK, and featuring familiar logos. You are looking for the text 'sans gluten'.
You can download a card for use in restaurants alerting staff to your requirements here:
http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/french/
As a French speaker (to A-level standard anyway!), I found restaurants generally very helpful and understanding.
Enjoy your trip!

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Just noticed you're intending to visit Switzerland, no need to worry about getting a motorway toll disc in advance, as you drive over the border they slap the disc on the 'screen and relieve you of the fee!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With so many Newbies asking Questions, RayS and others have given lots of tips here, for European travel,
Thanks folks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts