Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone
Ive been looking at alot of caravan forums but this definately looks the friendliest and most helpful.We are totally new to caravaning and have just bought a 15yr old ABI Globestar 4 berth caravan ( I think this is called our outfit )
My wife and I are 40ish and have 2 daughters of 12 and 8. We havent taken it out yet but are itching to ( not too far to start with ). Could do with some campsite recommendations with electric in the Essex, Suffolk area so we can try to put up our awning and have a good look at it. I'm also having a problem trying to decide what kind of TV aerial to buy. Omnidirectional or normal with signal finder. Any thoughts please. I'm hoping to find a lovely neighbour on our first day so if we run into trouble we can plead for mercy and ask for their help.
Thanks in advance. Mike

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Mad Mike said:
Hi everyone
Ive been looking at alot of caravan forums but this definately looks the friendliest and most helpful.We are totally new to caravaning and have just bought a 15yr old ABI Globestar 4 berth caravan ( I think this is called our outfit )
My wife and I are 40ish and have 2 daughters of 12 and 8. We havent taken it out yet but are itching to ( not too far to start with ). Could do with some campsite recommendations with electric in the Essex, Suffolk area so we can try to put up our awning and have a good look at it. I'm also having a problem trying to decide what kind of TV aerial to buy. Omnidirectional or normal with signal finder. Any thoughts please. I'm hoping to find a lovely neighbour on our first day so if we run into trouble we can plead for mercy and ask for their help.
Thanks in advance. Mike

Welcome to the friendly forum Mike
smiley-laughing.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mad Mike, welcome to the forum, you have definetly picked the best one, you dont need to go far for your first trip it really is a differant world anyway, we went 3 miles
smiley-smile.gif

( I think this is called our outfit ) That would be your tow car and caravan together.
5.gif

Ps The kids will love it and they will soon make friends on site, good luck

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Gaga.
Our 'outfit' then is A 2006 Kia sedona 2.9 CRDi diesel to go with the ABI Globestar. However the towbar is brand new. Very proud of myself as i fitted this on my own last saturday. :eek:)

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
hello welcome!
im sure you will get help from your neighbours caravaners are usually a friendly bunch!!
we went away on our first trip to great yarmouth (5 hours away!!) with our then 4 and 2 year olds. And without the 2 couples next to us i dont know how we would have got on in the caravan we had no idea how to do any of it!!! but we soon got the hang of it and we loved it so much we got a bigger newer caravan within about 6 weeks and havent looked back!
like gagakev says you dont actually have to go far it does feel like you are miles away!
good luck enjoy your first trip
smiley-smile.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mike & family, welcome to the Practical Caravan Forum and congratulations on becomng a caravanner.
I'm sure that you will have some great times together with the caravan, especially when you have overcome the first hurdle of putting the divorce in a bag (awning) up
smiley-laughing.gif

If you ask about the aerial on the Equipment and Accessories message board you will receive good information from caravanners who use portable sat dishes, and where to buy them without breaking the bank.
Ask for site recommendations on the UK Parks & Touring message board for more in depth reviews but in the meantime have a look at the Caravan Sitefinder to find a campsite in the areas that you want.
There is also a very comprehensive list of sites complete with reviews on UK Campsite
I hope that you will enjoy being a part of our friendly forum
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mad Mike
Welcome to the Forum. Plenty on here to keep you interested.
Not sure about something? Feel free to ask.
Some very knowledgable people on here who are always willing to help.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Glad you've joined us! It's good to hear of someone else fitting their own tow bar. Our neighbours had a mobile fitter yesterday, and he was having real problems and had been banging away for most of the afternoon - so OH (who has fitted several to our cars over the years) went across to offer a hand. Ten minutes later all was sorted!
I hope you enjoy your caravanning as much as we do!

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, and agree with the others, very friendly and a wealth of knowledge, and no don't have to go far, my neice and her family spent their first weekend on the drive as they were so excited they couldn't wait to go out, they have three girls and they all love it
Di

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mad Mike. Welcome. We used to tow with a Sedona. Good tow car, plenty of pull. Have a good time on your first outing. Take your time with everything, it is much easier if you have the chance to work it all out slowly.
mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts