Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Hi All.Just joined like to use my nickname of Duffy been caravanning for a few years and started off with a cheap one can't remember the name of it but it had a small gas fire that connected to a orange colour pipe that came out of the floor someone will remember that.Good old 80s

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Duffy. Plenty on here to keep you entertained. Ask away if you have any questions. Some very clever people on here.

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
I started looking and came across a post so I joined to comment on that post then it came up 2011 so I'm here now.

The post was on a damp caravan and if to buy it or not so was going to go thru my experience of fixing it.

Attachments

• 20171015_091129.jpg
    20171015_091129.jpg
    866.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20171015_091111.jpg
    20171015_091111.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 8
Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Well I did try and upload some more pics but just came up files too large.I did buy another cheap caravan as gave it up for quite a few years and didn't have a lot of money to spend so bought a cheap one and yes I could see it was a bit damp on the front inside so out it all come and was rotten as a pear the saying goes.

20171027_110330.jpg20171027_110315.jpg20171027_110305.jpg20171027_110305.jpg

It takes quite a bit of time if you work full time also but hard work time and effort pays off.

As you can see it came up ok in the end not bad for a DIY nut.

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
I knew the caravan was damp when I bought it and it didn't stop there either the old carver water heater didn't work either so out it came and took apart it was full of scale so gave it a good clean with new seals and the water inlets were all clogged up so unblocked then replaced with the hot and cold water inlets and new seals the cylinder had a small pin hole in it so I managed to source a replacement and it worked great.Im trying to say that if you feel confident on doing any jobs like this don't be afraid to try.

This was on an old 1989 or thereabouts Fleetwood 128-2. I'd spent a lot of time on it and the bathroom wall was damp plus another wall so out they came and replaced even managed to find the same pattern wallpaper from Homebase as wanted to keep it all original. When I sold it on I was honest to the new owner and showed him the work I'd done on my mobile it felt like a new caravan to me I'd resprayed the front in a white matt which looked great will try and upload pic of it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I did try and upload some more pics but just came up files too large.I did buy another cheap caravan as gave it up for quite a few years and didn't have a lot of money to spend so bought a cheap one and yes I could see it was a bit damp on the front inside so out it all come and was rotten as a pear the saying goes.

View attachment 1842View attachment 1843View attachment 1844View attachment 1844

It takes quite a bit of time if you work full time also but hard work time and effort pays off.

As you can see it came up ok in the end not bad for a DIY nut.
Looks like you are doing a nice makeover :)

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
I've finished and sold that one and got something a Little newer a 1998 Abbey gts vogue didn't buy that trouble free either so busy again.Quite awhile then by the sounds of it.Im looking to help new ones to caravanning or ones who have had a break and starting up again but like myself don't mind a bit of DIY to save a bit of money if they feel they could do it themselves there is quite a few on here so help is at hand there.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I've finished and sold that one and got something a Little newer a 1998 Abbey gts vogue didn't buy that trouble free either so busy again.Quite awhile then by the sounds of it.Im looking to help new ones to caravanning or ones who have had a break and starting up again but like myself don't mind a bit of DIY to save a bit of money if they feel they could do it themselves there is quite a few on here so help is at hand there.
So what work is needed on the 1998 Abbey gts vogue any pictures ?

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
I've had it on storage so hooked it up and only one side indicator worked .Bathroom door catch doesn t work anymore but new one on order and a small section of wood underneath rotten where the coloured awning strip fixes or the excess attaches too so will cut that out and replace then all good I keep trying but it just comes up file too large. Indicator was tracked down to a broken wire from caravan plug so new one now on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just tried to upload some pics but no go.
What type of phone? On mine I select an image and have a choice of Original, large, medium, small. The original is invariably too large a file. I tend to use Medium which works and is clear enough for the Forum.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Android and me best pics are more than 3mb.

In any decent phone they will be over 3 mb so you when you chose a photo to upload from your library doesn’t the app give an option to reduce its size? Alternatively copy/duplicate the photo and use the phones editing software app to reduce its file size. Many members here post using Android. The last resort would be to use a photo resizing app.like Photo Resizer2

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Can I just say caravanning is a form of a cheap poor man's holiday as well as those who can afford to go out and buy almost new or new it doesn't cost the earth and cut the costs of paying thousands of pounds to go abroad once or everyear. It gets people away regardless of being wealthy or not I wish i could go out and pay for my caravan to be fixed by a dealer offering repairs and servicing etc but can't on my wages hence why I choose to have a go and repair myself as paying someone isn't an option for me I don't want to tread on anyone's toes here as yes they know more than me or even do things for a living with regards to a caravan and me being a newbie on here just wants to air his opinions on the diy person willing to go out and purchase a few things to keep them going and take a bit of pride In looking after their van and getting it just how they want it to be.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
For some, it maybe a cheap poor mans holiday, It hasn't been that for us, going away to France every 12 weeks for a month at a time, for tax purposes, took a heavy toll. For 5 years, now in the UK, going away for a couple of weeks say every three months, to sites at anything from £20 for a cl, to stupid £ costs. Then sites want another £1.50 for a dog or £2 for an awning. The cost of servicing , to keep warranties and insurance then storage, It doesn't work out cheap at all.
It is good to be able to most little repairs yourself, but it is surprising how many folk havent the foggiest idea, how to sort out the similist thing
Sorry to disagree with you Duffy, But it is not cheap holiday.

Sorry about the rant, my shoulders are playing up with carrying the weight of the world on them.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
For some, it maybe a cheap poor mans holiday, It hasn't been that for us, going away to France every 12 weeks for a month at a time, for tax purposes, took a heavy toll. For 5 years, now in the UK, going away for a couple of weeks say every three months, to sites at anything from £20 for a cl, to stupid £ costs. Then sites want another £1.50 for a dog or £2 for an awning. The cost of servicing , to keep warranties and insurance then storage, It doesn't work out cheap at all.
It is good to be able to most little repairs yourself, but it is surprising how many folk havent the foggiest idea, how to sort out the similist thing
Sorry to disagree with you Duffy, But it is not cheap holiday.

Sorry about the rant, my shoulders are playing up with carrying the weight of the world on them.
Hutch I am in total agreement with you :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts