Newbie!!

May 7, 2024
Visit site
Hi all I’m a newbie to the caravan world just purchased my first caravan just trying it out and testing the water. Any help or advice would be appreciated

I’ve been away in it twice and came across my first problem this weekend. The corner steady on the front wouldn’t wind up or it would wind up but kept falling down. The big bolt that goes through the leg and then goes through the chassis I was able to pull this out. Is this a common thing to fail on a caravan do I just need to by a new corner steady.

Caravan is a sterling eccles 2011 model

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The threaded boss that the winding screws runs in can strip if there is too much pressure exerted on it (such as trying to lift the caravan using it), they are easily replaced, I had to do one on my parents caravan a few years back. I THINK I got it from EBay.

May 7, 2024
Visit site
The threaded boss that the winding screws runs in can strip if there is too much pressure exerted on it (such as trying to lift the caravan using it), they are easily replaced, I had to do one on my parents caravan a few years back. I THINK I got it from EBay.
Ok thank you! I’ll order a new one now 👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Bought privately. Caravan was on a seasonal pitch for 6 years the caravan corner steadies were very stiff and rusty toke a bit of elbow grease to get them moving
Easy enough to replace the steadie. However as a matter of interest as it has been on a seasonal site, have you check the age of the tyres? They may look good, but could be well past their sell by date.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2024
Visit site
Easy enough to replace the steadie. However as a matter of interest as it has been on a seasonal site, have you check the age of the tyres? They may look good, but could be well past their sell by date.
So glad you brought the tyres to my attention as you said they may look ok but after just giving my tyres an inspection ye they look decent apart from one which has a slight crack starting in the side wall and 3 of which were manufactured in 2015 and one which I’m guessing is the original tyre because it’s 2011 so I’ll be getting all 4 changed. Thanks for that bit of advice. 👍

Reactions: Buckman

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had the same problem on a previous van. It was an easy fix if you knew what to do. If you are getting a replacement bolt, might be worth getting a spare while you are at it- not long after one went, the steady on the opposite side joined the party.
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome Steve. There are differing views on the correct , if any , lube to use on the steady threads. Years back generous axle grease marked the spot as did Copperslip and silicone grease. They all attracted dirt and over the year hardened up making winding difficult.
Whilst the Jury is still out I now prefer a good engine oil. Works for me. But I apply I twice a year.

May 7, 2024
Visit site
So I’ve made a temporary fix for the time being it seems that there’s a little pin that goes through the long bolt. This little pin had snapped maybe I done it when I lowered the steadies. Am I not suppose to put full weight of the caravan on the steadies and use the JW as support aswel?? so for the time being I’ve put a Cotter pin in it and it’s working but will get it repaired tidy as soon as I can.

May 7, 2024
Visit site
Welcome Steve. There are differing views on the correct , if any , lube to use on the steady threads. Years back generous axle grease marked the spot as did Copperslip and silicone grease. They all attracted dirt and over the year hardened up making winding difficult.
Whilst the Jury is still out I now prefer a good engine oil. Works for me. But I apply I twice a year.
Thanks for the advice I’ll get the threads cleaned up with a wire brush and lube them up with some good oil 👍

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the advice I’ll get the threads cleaned up with a wire brush and lube them up with some good oil 👍
I used a wire brush and WD40 to get most of the dried up crud off mine when I got it. Once they were moving freely over their full length I lightly coated the threads with grease. (I wouldn't like to comment whether grease or oil is better).
To wind them through their full length start with all the steadies fully up. Lower the jocky wheel so the hitch is as low to the ground as you can get it. This should allow the rear steadies to travel their full length. Once cleaned / greased / oiled wind them fully up then use the jockey wheel to raise the hitch as high as it will go. This allows the front steadies to travel their full length.
Am I not suppose to put full weight of the caravan on the steadies and use the JW as support aswel??
The caravan axle takes most of the load, not the steadies. Wind them down until they touch the ground then one more turn. Don't try to lift the axle off the ground with the steadies or you will twist your chassis.

Jockey wheel up or down when pitched seems to be an ongoing debate. Personally I leave mine down so the nose weight is shared between the jockey wheel and front steadies.

Reactions: MattNorthway

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts