Newbies... 95' Eldiss Typhoon

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Hello, we have just bought our first caravan a 95' Elddis Typhoon we are completely new to this and cant wait to go away for our first trip.

we have never towed, set up an awning , we know nothing about connecting mains and water etc etc any advice will be gratefully accepted

thanks

Carol & James

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Carol

Like Pat said, we found friends and also this forum invaluable in giving us hints and tips. There is also a book, which I have not read but have been told is very good, its called "Teach yourself Caravanning" by Rob McCabe, you can get it on Amazon for

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Carol

Like Pat said, we found friends and also this forum invaluable in giving us hints and tips. There is also a book, which I have not read but have been told is very good, its called "Teach yourself Caravanning" by Rob McCabe, you can get it on Amazon for

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Where to start.

Do you know anyone who has a caravan. If you do it's worth talking to them.
We dont know anyone with a caravan...we bought this on a whim as we spend many w.ends away in hotels etc we thought having a caravan would open up so many more possibilities we are v excited at the prospect...but are a little daunted as to where to start.

we dont know how to "hook up" check appliances etc or how to use our awnings....in fact we dont know how to do anything...

oh dear...i do hope we learn fast!!!

carol

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Carol & James.

Welcome to the forum and indeed to the world of caravanning.

First of all you need to be certain that you can legally and safely tow your caravan with your car.You must not exceed the kerbweight of your car or the manufacturers towing limit for your vehicle.

You need to ensure that you have the correct licence to allow you to tow your outfit if you passed a your driving test after 1st January 1997.

This information is available on this website. The forum is a small part of the Practical Caravan website and if you click on the HOME PAGE logo in the blue rectangle at the top l.h. side of this webpage you will find various categories accessible via clickable links.

Under 'HELPLINE' you will find amongst other things 'Towing Law' and 'Beginners'.

These contain most of the information that you will need first of all and if you copy/ paste the items into your computer notepad you could print it off to peruse at your leisure.

When you have assimilated these come back to us with any questions that you might have and then we will move on to the next part.

Both the Camping and Caravanning club and the Caravan Club run towing courses if you need them.

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Carol & James.

Welcome to the forum and indeed to the world of caravanning.

First of all you need to be certain that you can legally and safely tow your caravan with your car.You must not exceed the kerbweight of your car or the manufacturers towing limit for your vehicle.

You need to ensure that you have the correct licence to allow you to tow your outfit if you passed a your driving test after 1st January 1997.

This information is available on this website. The forum is a small part of the Practical Caravan website and if you click on the HOME PAGE logo in the blue rectangle at the top l.h. side of this webpage you will find various categories accessible via clickable links.

Under 'HELPLINE' you will find amongst other things 'Towing Law' and 'Beginners'.

These contain most of the information that you will need first of all and if you copy/ paste the items into your computer notepad you could print it off to peruse at your leisure.

When you have assimilated these come back to us with any questions that you might have and then we will move on to the next part.

Both the Camping and Caravanning club and the Caravan Club run towing courses if you need them.
Thank you v much for that advice, i shall have a look now,James passed his test in 1985 so we are ok there, and i believe we have got the correct car to caravan weight ratio...the dealer helped us out on that one.

thank you again

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Good morning Carol

The next piece of information from the beginners section is 'hitching up'.

The clickable link from the list doesn't seem to work but the red coloured link underneath the graphic does.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/beginners/hitching.html
You should have an electric cable with your caravan, it might be coiled up underneath one of the seat lockers or perhaps in the front locker. This lead, usually coloured orange is your electric hook up (ehu)

At one end is a blue outdoor 'female' socket and at the other end is a male plug in outdoor connector.

On a pitch with electric hook up the 'male' socket plugs into the site electrics and the 'female' socket into a connector usually close to the battery on your caravan.

The current is normally fed into the caravan via a rcd which is switched to 'on'. If there is a control panel in your caravan select the switch to battery charger on and if there is a car and caravan symbol select the caravan switch to on.

Your caravan electrics are a mixture of 12v and 240v with the mains power normally to a couple of sockets and perhaps some mains lighting. The other lights are usually 12v and are powered from the caravan battery.

Here endeth todays lesson :0)

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Good morning Carol

The clickable link from the list doesn't seem to work but the red coloured link underneath the graphic does.

You should have an electric cable with your caravan, it might be coiled up underneath one of the seat lockers or perhaps in the front locker. This lead, usually coloured orange is your electric hook up (ehu)

At one end is a blue outdoor 'female' socket and at the other end is a male plug in outdoor connector.

On a pitch with electric hook up the 'male' socket plugs into the site electrics and the 'female' socket into a connector usually close to the battery on your caravan.

The current is normally fed into the caravan via a rcd which is switched to 'on'. If there is a control panel in your caravan select the switch to battery charger on and if there is a car and caravan symbol select the caravan switch to on.

Your caravan electrics are a mixture of 12v and 240v with the mains power normally to a couple of sockets and perhaps some mains lighting. The other lights are usually 12v and are powered from the caravan battery.

thank you kindly for all yr advice it is much appreciated.

i printed off all the guides on the homepage you mentioned, the other half is perusing them now!!

tommorows lesson ...we hope...is how to erect our awning...it is a Dorema... dont know model but it is burgundy and grey!! it has many steel poles!!

we thought we would erect in garage or garden??

any hints or tips or perhaps i should ask on technical forum?

thanks again

Carol & James

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Good morning Carol

oh dear , i presented my other half with about 30sheets of info. re: yr advice...he now says its a minefield and his head is spinning!!!

i say...we just get out there and try it im sure there will be folks to help us??

i shall keep you posted

carol

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
oh dear , i presented my other half with about 30sheets of info. re: yr advice...he now says its a minefield and his head is spinning!!!

i say...we just get out there and try it im sure there will be folks to help us??

i shall keep you posted

carol
That's probably the best idea.

Take your time and enjoy

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Hiya,

As long as you can get yourself to a caravan site you will be ok.

Are you in Northamptonshire by any chance?
nope we are from Hull...we are having our first outing this friday to Burton Constable...v local as advised...wish us luck!!!

carol & James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts