Newbies first trip out

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi, as a newbie to Caravanning, who has used this site for some great advice, I thought I would let you have an update on my first trip away with the caravan.

Set off on Friday for a weekend at Spiers House in North Yorkshire. Unfortunatly, things did not go so well, we got 20 miles from home on the A1 and the tyre on Caravan burst. We pulled over onto the grass verge, and after a little panic I called the AA, who came and replaced the tyre with our spare, but they said it was not in great shape so recommended replacing it. As we had spent an hour standing in the rain on a verge on the A1 waiting for AA, we decided to fo home and replaced both tyres. Have to admit that this did scare me, and I did not want to set off again, but hubby persueded me, and we set off again on the Saturday.

Well I am please we did as we had a great time. Got on site, and was having a little problem trying to set up, but should not have worried, as two other experienced caravanners helped us and gave some great advice. They even turned up on the Monday to help us put the caravan back on the car for return journey.

I have learnt a lot about what we need going forward (ie leveling the caravan, having chocks), and feel a lot more confident about setting up next time we go, just need to improve on reversing with the caravan, it is harder than it looks.

Now looking forward to our next trip.

Joanne

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Joanne

It's not uncommon for caravan tyres fitted to used caravans to blow out. They always look ok in terms of tread wear but the sides of the tyres deteriorate over time and for this reason caravan tyres should be changed every 4 or 5 years irrespective of tread wear.

I'm glad that this incident didn't put you off, why not re post this in the General section where it will be seen by more forum members?

Your post will serve to warn caravan buyers about the pitfalls regarding tyres and encourage those thinking of taking up caravanning to give it a go.

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I will post on Genral. We checked an have to say the tread did look good, and thought they were OK. AA man told us that it was the sides of the tyres that had deteriated, and that is why replaced both.

Have to say, the caraven did feel better when towing, with the new tyres.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Well done Joanne and family. I can't imagine how dejected you felt, having a puncture on your first outing.

Still you did the right thing and it turned out good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts