Newbies looking to overwinter in Southern Spain Nov 2013 - Apr 2014

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
Just bought a new Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona and after taking it down to Penzance the past two (fabulous!) weeks, we're now beginning to plan for a trip to Southern Spain in order to get away from the cold/wet/dark UK winter.
We're towing with a 2010 SEAT Exeo ST 143 Estate and plan on visiting family near Poitiers France before heading toward Barcelona and then on down south. Would welcome any suggestions/advice that any members with experience in this area can offer. A few immediate questions...
  1. Chunnel or ferry? Can't find any ferry schedules (Plymouth/Portsmouth to St Malo/Cherbourg?) at present
  2. Travel alone or try to hook up with aothers travelling same direction?
  3. As this will be our first time, looking for sites where other English speaking folk (we're 62 and 65) of simillar age group will be
  4. Not too bothered about large holiday camp style places, but do want to be not too far from town/village with restaurants/entertainment
  5. Have propane tank, should I get Camping Gaz as well?
  6. Have noted two warning triangles, fluoro jacket, spare set of specs, headlight deflectors, ASIC card, spare bulbs - anything else?
After 25 years away from caravanning, it's really great to be back!
Eric and Elaine

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Eric and Elaine, welcome to the forum
smiley-laughing.gif

If you ask on the Overseas Parks & Touring message boards I'm sure that you'll receive lots of good advice, some of it from members who are in Europe at the moment and who usually just check that one message board.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Big Welcome to you both to the forum, glad you are enjoying your come back to this wonderful world of caravanning.
What type/make of van did you have 25 years ago? did it have the mod cons or were you using gas lights
smiley-wink.gif

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Gagakev,
Thanks for the welcome.
It was a S/H Sprite Maror RL that I overhauled, fitted mains with consumer unit and leisure battery, wire brushed and Hammerite'd the chassis, fitted gas bottle locker on the A Frame, stabiliser (better that on the new Bailey!) and the wife made new covers and curtains -p all this and a new Isabella awning gave us (son and daughter always came along) a fabulous home away from home and enabled us to take far more holidays than we would otherwise have been able to afford. Even our scottie dog, Mac, used to love coming along.
The new Bailey really is a wonderful piece of equipment and we're really looking forward to taking it to Spain this coming winter
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Eric and Elaine Welcome to the practical caravan forum
I hope you enjoy caravaning as we did but sadly had to give it up (Doctor"s Order"s ) after 37 years .
i hope you also enjoy your new Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verone and the car looks great and tows well .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts