newcastle to edinburgh

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
hi all

whats the best route to tow up to edinburgh. is the A68 ok to tow on or is it best to stick to the A1. car a little underpowered to van I think

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gavin

we did the A68 journey last week from Newcastle to Edinburgh but solo. We were tootling along in our BMW 320d Touring and enjoyed the drive very much - excellent scenery, lots of bends, blind peaks, few overtaking bits.

So, I would recomnmend the A1 route if towing!

Regards

Ken

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Been both ways solo and towing, much prefer A1 more so when towing and even more so if you think you may be a little underpowered. A68 can be a bit of a nightmare depending on times of travel

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi gavin

A1 everytime for me, as it goes around the coast it's a lot flatter (no scenary but a better road for towing on)the only time I go the A68 route is if her indoors wants to visit family in kelso(short detour)otherwise it's the A1.

colin

G

A1 is the best way, as has been said A 68 have lot of bend and uphill, good for motorbiking.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Been doing the journey North up to Edinburgh for years and have used both routes, for us though it has to be the A68 unless it is really windy or snowing. We tow a 26ft twin axle and have never had a problem with the A68. Scenery is lovely and always stop for a break at the border which is breathtaking.

The A1 is OK but find it rather mundane drive.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

We travel up to Scotland at least twice a year and the way I find the best is to take the A1 just past Morpeth. Then turn off onto the A697. This will bring you out onto the A68 at Carfraemill. This is a beautiful ride with excellant scenery but with out the trail around the coast and the steap hills on the A68.

Regards,

Mel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts