Nissan Pathfinder towball height

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Anyone got a new Nissan Pathfinder. The towball height is approx 470mm to centre leading to instability at around 60mph. EC directive 94/20 says 350 - 420mm. Any comments?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
4x4's are specifically excluded from having to meet the requirements of the directive. Although most reputable towbar manufacturers do comply, they cannot therefore be legally compelled to do so.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
4x4's are specifically excluded from having to meet the requirements of the directive. Although most reputable towbar manufacturers do comply, they cannot therefore be legally compelled to do so.
In fact, they are only excluded from the height restriction in terms of the towbar/ball fitting, When used to tow a caravan, the ball must be such that the caravan is level or slightly nose down. This is covered in the EC94/20 directive details. If a caravan is nose up when towing it is unstable and potentially dangerous. This would mean Nissan have to exclude towing caravans.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I cannot find any mention in the directive 94/20/EC that the caravan must be level or nose slightly nose down. In case I've missed it, perhaps you can let me know under what paragraph I can read such a requirement. It doesn't really make sense to me why the caravan should not be slightly nose up so long as the noseload is adequate. Why should such a condition be any less stable? The only argument against a nose up attitude that I can think of is that one may have problems with ground clearance at the rear end.

Jul 8, 2005
Visit site
I have a Nissan Pathfinder and I too was concerned about the hight of the tow ball. I have a Swift conqueror 645 twin axle and on hitching up the van and with nothing in the boot of the car the van was sitting level, perhaps with a minimal nose down attitude. The nose weight was checked at 117 kgs near the towbar limit and spot on for the recomended limit of 7% of the van weight. I am still running in the car yet but don't forsee any problem towing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I cannot find any mention in the directive 94/20/EC that the caravan must be level or nose slightly nose down. In case I've missed it, perhaps you can let me know under what paragraph I can read such a requirement. It doesn't really make sense to me why the caravan should not be slightly nose up so long as the noseload is adequate. Why should such a condition be any less stable? The only argument against a nose up attitude that I can think of is that one may have problems with ground clearance at the rear end.
Apologies to you Bob. I've rechecked the text of Directive 94/20/EC. According to paragraph 2.2.1 the coupling head on the trailer must be 430

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
I have a Nissan Pathfinder and I too was concerned about the hight of the tow ball. I have a Swift conqueror 645 twin axle and on hitching up the van and with nothing in the boot of the car the van was sitting level, perhaps with a minimal nose down attitude. The nose weight was checked at 117 kgs near the towbar limit and spot on for the recomended limit of 7% of the van weight. I am still running in the car yet but don't forsee any problem towing.
Hi Alexander, sorry I've not replied before. I didn't until I drove at 60mph when we noticed instability passing trucks/being passed by coaches. Our Terrano was solid under the same conditions. Can I Ask which towbar you've got and what is the height from ground to ball centre without the van hitched. Ours is 470mm. The terrano was 420. Our dealer fitted a dropplate which solved it but has been removed as its illegal. Our van tows nose up with 90kg noseweight, driver + 1 passenger, awning, poles, BBQ, etc in boot. we also tow in France at 70-75mph and I think it will be dangerous then. Can you complain to your Nissan dealer about the height as I am trying to get Nissan to type approve a drop plate (50mm will do) and am having difficulty. Eventually someone will overturn and it'll cost them a lot more. regards Bob

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Forgot to say, same caravan, previous towcar Nissan Terrano, towball height 420mm, tows perfectly!

Bob
I have just purchased a Nissan Pathfinder, I connected it up

to the caravan this morning and yes, as described here

the caravan sits nose high. The towbar was fitted by

Nissan and I am having discussions with them

as to how this can be solved. (Towball height is about 480mm, 460mm with the caravan attached but it needs to be closer

to 380mm for a level caravan (Swift Accord).

Have any Pathfinder owners managed to solve this yet ?

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
What type of towball fitting are using as I have just bought a Pathfinder?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts