Nissan Pathfinder

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone got a Nissan Pathfinder out there? I'm having stability problems due to the towball height and am having difficulty getting Nissan to recognise the problem.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bob,

I don't have a Nissan but had a similiar problem with the Land Rover Discovery fitted with air suspension. Basically the tow ball was too high on the original towbar which was designed for vehicles fitted with springs. Land Rover then came out with an adjustable height tow bar designed for use with this vehicle. This brought the towball down to within the recommended height of between 350mm - 420mm.

Looks like you need to find an adjustable towbar somewhere. If I come across one I'll let you know.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
At least as a temporary measure, ensure that the noseweight of the caravan is measured with the coupling at the same height as when it is hitched up to the car, i.e. in the actual not the level condition. (This is the correct method to set noseweights anyway).

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bob,

I don't have a Nissan but had a similiar problem with the Land Rover Discovery fitted with air suspension. Basically the tow ball was too high on the original towbar which was designed for vehicles fitted with springs. Land Rover then came out with an adjustable height tow bar designed for use with this vehicle. This brought the towball down to within the recommended height of between 350mm - 420mm.

Looks like you need to find an adjustable towbar somewhere. If I come across one I'll let you know.
Thanks Mac. We all know the solution but Nissan currently won't accept there's a problem. Most galling thing is it would cost Nissan less than

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
At least as a temporary measure, ensure that the noseweight of the caravan is measured with the coupling at the same height as when it is hitched up to the car, i.e. in the actual not the level condition. (This is the correct method to set noseweights anyway).
Thanks Lutz. I'm trying to get Nissan to recognise the problem. They can type-approve a 50mm drop plate for

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Bob

I was out to day I saw a nissan 4x4. The it was a inport one it had a tow bar on the back like the on that Mac say you can get fo land rover discovrery. Cud you get one modythid to fit yorus.

I hope this is so help.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Since the introduction of type approval, it is not possible to modify an existing towbar from another vehicle to fit yours. The documented data that the towbar manufacturer submitted to gain type approval would no longer apply making fitment of such a modified towbar illegal.

Jul 8, 2005
Visit site
I recently have started towing with a Nissan Pathfinder and have no problems with stability. I appreciate that the towball is high at 470mm unladen but when I couple my twin axle swift conquerer the rear of the car then sits with the towball at 420mm. My 'van sits exactly level at this which is desirable to achieve the correct loading of the axles. I ensure that the noseweight ie correct for the weight of the 'van which at 7% is 117Kg just under the maximum for the towbar. I towed over 200 miles last weekend under varying conditions with no problems. I previously towed for the past 15 years with RangeRovers and Disco's but I am of the opinion that the Pathfinder is slightly more stable.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Alexander,

Just a thought about your noseweight. You have a Swift Conqueror which runs on a Alko chassis with Alko tow hitch. Your maximum noseweight is 100kg as stamped on your tow hitch.With most twin axles it is not possible to tow with 7% of the M.P.T.L.M. due to the limit Alko states for it's chassis.

Hamer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This can be a problem on any off-road vehicle because manufacturers aren't required to meet the normal height regulation for towballs so that the vehicle's ground clearance and exit angle isn't compromised.

If your towbar is fitted with a flange, to accept a bolted towbar, it's possible to get a drop-plate to lower the ball. This may however give ground clearance or exit angle problems.

Under NO circumstances must a plate be used to raise a towball, on any vehicle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts