Nissan Qashqai as a tow car

Jul 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi there,the wife and myself are looking at getting our first Caravan (4 berth), and due to our licences we can only have combined weight of 3500 ton.

We currently have a VW Golf 1.9 tdi 08 plate, but the wife is looking at changing it for a Nissan Qashqai 1.6 or 2 litre. Has anyone had any experience of towing with the Qashqai. I am aware that it did win the 2014 how car awards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave,
I cant help with any towing experience with a Qashqai, but I do need to clarify your weight restriction.

I presume your limit is defined by your driving licence Cat B entitlement. I don't know if you appreciate the importance of the wording which is "combined MAM not exceeding 3500kg". Its subtle but important difference as license is not referring to a measured weight but the combined weight limits of the car and the trailer.

This means that you have to add the tow vehicles Gross Vehicle Weight (the second figure on the weight plate) and the MTPLM of the trailer. If these exceed 3500kg, even by 1kg you cannot drive that combination.

You cannot avoid the limit by only part loading the vehicle or trailer.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I would go for the 2 litre TDCi version of the Qashqai the higher powered car which would give you more for when you are towing a caravan, you say your both Limited with your licence , why not take the B+E course so it opens your options up .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never driven the 1.6 but reports suggest that patience is needed if you tow with that. It is best suited to very light caravans. The 2.0 should be the better bet for most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts