Nissan xtrail power loss

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi new to this but after buying my xtrail in February this year it's been a nightmare! Power loss with no fault codes or warning lights, when reaching a hill felt like you were towing a train behind. I replaced the suction control valves (£200) no joy, various engine, injector and turbo cleaners but still no joy! Car pulled on flat till 3500 revs then held back. Tried to trade car in but best offer I had was £1500 and had limited funds to add so that was a no go. Spent hours searching the net but still could not find a fix. Anyway after getting so pissed off I adopted the attitude if "what the hell" and began attacking the car with various spanners, and found a fault so simple I could kick myself (Iv spent around £500) the mass air flow sensor was dirty so removed and cleaned with ecu cleaner, replaced and...... No better I then removed the housing the the maf sensor fits in, the whole pipe and top of the air filter box. Inside there is a mesh that prevents debris before it gets to the air filter. This was blocked by soot and flys etc so a wash of the whole thing with soapy water (left to dry thoroughly) then replaced. The car now pulls fantastic and is the acceleration is smooth through to 7000 revs. I hope this helps someone

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I have my Extrain for a year and half now. I wish I had never seen it. I have spent over £1500 on it,
brake discs all round and pads,
SCV changed twice in two years.
Presure rail sensor,
Front bottom suspension arms both sides,
Drop links front end,
Rear wheel bearings,
Front wheel bearing,
MAF sensor.
other various bits and bobs. As soon as I have saved up enough its going the journey. I have had Peugeots for year before this and never had any problems at all with them. They always went straight through the test. I think the most I did on one of the 405 was to get a new exhaust and one drop link. I have had very little pleasure with Nissan.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Don't you expect problems on a 12 year old car?

My sons 4 year old Astra has recently had a replacement engine, gearbox, and aircon compressor.

Prior to that his 7 year old BMW compact also destroyed the engine and had to be rebuilt at a cost of £900.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
raccoon said:
Drop links front end,
Rear wheel bearings,
Front wheel bearing,
They're all wear/tear items dependent on mileage and usage.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
raccoon said:
I have my Extrain for a year and half now. I wish I had never seen it. I have spent over £1500 on it,
SCV changed twice in two years.
Presure rail sensor,
Drop links front end,
Rear wheel bearings,
Front wheel bearing,
MAF sensor.
other various bits and bobs. As soon as I have saved up enough its going the journey. I have had Peugeots for year before this and never had any problems at all with them. They always went straight through the test. I think the most I did on one of the 405 was to get a new exhaust and one drop link. I have had very little pleasure with Nissan.
Alot of that is wear and tear and i'd be thinking i should get some useful miles out of it with no more bother.. you cannot know that whatever you replace it with wont also run up some bills just because youve had a good run with a certain make in the past..

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi JonnyG, of course you are right about the wear and tear, most of the parts I have replaced are exactly that. Its just that it does spoil the feeling when you want to just drive for a few months without pulling another couple hundred pounds out. Mostly its the cost of the parts for this type of car that hits the hardest. I don't buy Nissan parts because they are usually 50% dearer. I now have a drop link on the back end knocking away at me. I guess I will do it when I can get chance.
Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts