No 12 volt power

May 29, 2006
Visit site
Greetings fellow campers,

I have just returned from a few days away in the van. Whilst away I lost all power to the 12volt circuit, after testing the system it seems that the 240-12v transformer has given up the ghost. I am relying solely on the battery at present and would like to replace the transformer so that in future trips, i can recharge the battery.

I have checked all fuses, and use a meter to check that I am getting 0v output from the transformer.

Swift Challenger 1990

Kind regards

Mark

May 5, 2005
Visit site
If you can disconnect the wiring from both sides of the transformer check the primary(240v) and secondary(12v) windings,they should both be continous,any break means a new transformer.If they are continuous you will need to find the fault in the wiring.

May 29, 2006
Visit site
I have put a meter accross the output, there is 240v going in and 0v going out.

I am pretty certain that the transformer is knackered.

Problem is, where / how can i replace it?

I am not too keen on buying a whole control panel.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mark, Have you checked the fuse on the charger itself? if the charger is incorperated in the control panel the charger is often bolted onto the back of it, if you withdraw the panel with all power diconnected you will see a fuse built into the unit, worth checking this first,sorry if this isn't the system fitted in your model, I'm afraid i can't remember witch panel that year has fitted.

May 29, 2006
Visit site
ROGER: The only 3600 CTEK I can find seems to be a 3step. I am pretty keen on this idea as its simple and solves my dilema. Are they easy to use / wire etc?

METZ: I took the control pannel out, and the transformer is pop rivveted onto the back of the plate. I did not see a fuse there. Theres a 5A fuse in the control panel which covers the charger, is there another fuse hiding from me perhaps?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The CTEK 3600 is advertised as 3-stage but is actually 4-stage as it'll automatically go into a de-sulphation stage if necessary in the case of an old or neglected battery.

The website is www.ctek.com

It's easy to "install" - just like any battery charger but the CTEK comes with two alternative connections, crocodile clips or eyelets. You may need to add another 240v socket as it'll be plugged in all the time.

I got mine from Hamilton Classics as they had a deal on at the time but Towsure and RoadPro also sell them.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mark, There is usally a fuse screwed into the top edge of the charger as you look at it, it's a bit hard to see, and awkard to get out if your on your own.

May 29, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks for your speedy replies;

I think I shall try to find this fuse that Metz has spoken about. Hopefully this could be a 25pence repair :)

However, I agree with Roger that replacing a 1990 charging system with a 2006 charging system will be more beneficial. It would probably be also cheaper than buying a transformer from swift :)

I have found the CTEK 3600 from www.ctek-chargers.com for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts