No battery

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I am buying our first brand new caravan for my wife's Xmas present. I wanted a Bailey after reading various reviews. Went to the local dealer who offered a good price on a remaining Series 5 Ranger 510/4. Decided to take this van as that lay out is not available in the 2009 Series 6 Ranger range, and I thought that the interior decor and reduced number of lights made the Series 6 GT60 510/4 rather gloomy inside compared with the Series 5.

All great except that I was shocked to be told that a battery (a totally essential item for the function of the caravan (even if used on a site with electric) is not included in the price. How ridiculous, a bit like selling a car without the battery! The dealer would not even sell a battery at a discounted price! I was so annoyed I almost walked away from the purchase.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Although I agree that a battery is useful, it is not essential. If you intend to stay only on sites with electrical hook up you can do without, like most Continental caravanners. Very few caravans on the Continent are fitted with a battery.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
We are Caravan Club members and more often than not, we us the caravan for Club rallies held at locations with no EHU. Also as far as I have read the Bailey uses 12V of interior lights etc, so I would have thought the battery was essential. I could have understood if the supplied one was a 70 or 85 AH, and that I would have had to pay extra to upgrade to 110 AH, but............

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
With a 12v power pack (essentially a transformer) you don't need a battery. It's cheaper and a lot lighter, too, so it is a geniune alternative for those who always use a hook up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello William,

I understand your point of view, but there is an equally valid point of view that a battery is not essential. I do not know the numbers, but I believe the majority caravanners will opt for sites with mains hook ups. This in general removes the need for a caravan to have an independent 12Vdc source.

Such caravanners may argue that why are they paying for a battery that is not necessary!

All UK new caravans are now sold with a mains powered power supply that provides the necessary 12Vdc supplies to run the caravan this is not a simple battrery charger but a quit sophisticated power supply capable of providing 8 or more amps of 12Vdc current. This is enough to run the water pump, 12v lighting, heater fan units, and water heater controls etc. Most other electrical items are available in mains powered versions. Space is still provided for a battery, and the power supply will charge the battery if fitted.

With the widespread availability of EHU's (and even some CL sites offer them) the days of battery may be numbered here in the UK. This saves weight and the environment.

For some a battery is still needed, where they have a caravan mover to operate.

Some people they may have a battery from their older caravan they wish to transfer to a new one, so it is not unreasonable to offer the prospective new customer the choice to have a battery supplied or not.

The same argument applies to Gas bottles, and water containers,

The lack of a battery as standard equipment may be annoying, but it also is helping to keep the cost of the caravan down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are Caravan Club members and more often than not, we us the caravan for Club rallies held at locations with no EHU. Also as far as I have read the Bailey uses 12V of interior lights etc, so I would have thought the battery was essential. I could have understood if the supplied one was a 70 or 85 AH, and that I would have had to pay extra to upgrade to 110 AH, but............
I cannot comment specifically about Bailey, but most caravan manufactures include both 12Vdc and 230Vac light fittings.

On mains power, the internal caravan power supply provides the power for the 12V lights.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
William .... it is quite normal for a dealer to supply a caravan without a 12 volt battery, so don't feel hard done by.

I agree with you, that using a caravan without an independent 12v supply, severely limits it's capabilities and renders useless some of your vans appliances when away from a EHU site.

My own van can draw 12 volts from 2 leisure batteries, one on the van and one on the car. It can also draw from the heavy duty car battery.

A modern van with 12volts and a gas supply can operate anywhere!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Although I agree that a battery is useful, it is not essential. If you intend to stay only on sites with electrical hook up you can do without, like most Continental caravanners. Very few caravans on the Continent are fitted with a battery.
Hi Lutz

I have just bought a Fendt in the UK and as you say it came without a battery but it did have charging facilities. I cant do without my mover so a battery was a must have and the dealer obliged at no cost.

Dave

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'd have thought that a gas bottle was more essential than a battery - new caravans don't come with gas do they? Not that I mind either way - I'd be paying for it whatever.

B

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Where do you draw the line? No batttery, no gas bottles, no aquaroll or wastemaster, some come with no spare wheel.

It's never bothered me. My currrent 110 amp battery has been in two caravans. I prefer propone for winter caravanning.

A 12v tv did come as ome and it's cr*p.

I prefer to buy my own having the freedom of choice.

I suspect if the manufacturer supplied these things the cost would be greater??

Cheers

Alan

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
It's all very well not having a battery in your 'van when using EHU, but what happens if you have a power cut on site - not very nice being left in the dark on a cold winters evening!! :O(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's all very well not having a battery in your 'van when using EHU, but what happens if you have a power cut on site - not very nice being left in the dark on a cold winters evening!! :O(
No different than when you are at home!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Not a very constructive comment John L!!

If you are at home during a power cut, apart from a generator, there's not a lot you can do about it! If on site, then you still have the use of lights via 12v, and lets not forget the fridge - that also needs a battery to ignite the pilot light!!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
William, surely if you are moving from one caravan to the next, then any equipment you have built up, you do not allow it to go with your trade in, expecting it to be replaced with your next purchase. In our experience, and assuming it wouldn't fit another caravan, the only thing we have ever traded in has been the awning, everything else you use again! :O)

Mar 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Wendy

Absolutely right.....people should always remember when selling, all they are selling is the caravan. Other items are a collection of things which make caravanning comfortable and are your choice. Always inform potential buyers from day 1 that these items are not for sale and are not thrown in as a 'Luck penny' as it is said locally.

I bought my Bailey 460/4 in February, I had to buy my spare wheel..... gas bottles and battery etc were kept from my last one...regards RAY

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Wendy,

With reference to your response to my earlier comment,

My comment was just that, a comment. It was an observation, much as your own, I perceive that your own comment was not constructive either.

My comment was based on the principal that there was no battery on board, which had been established in the main reply.

You certainly do have more options if a battery is on board, but even without one, you may still be better of than at home, so my my comment is still valid.

If you want a constructive discussion, then consider the following:-

A power cut at home:-

Central heating wont work.

Your fridge wont work.

Your lights wont work.

If you have an electric cooker your stumped, but with gas you can still use a match to light a ring

A power cut in your caravan:-

You have the gas convection side to the heater.

You can't start your fridge, but if it is already running on gas, it will keep going.

Your lights wont work, but most caravanners have at least one torch close to hand.

You only have gas cookers, and they can be lit with a match.

In practice power cuts are not that frequent, and it is quite rare for there to be long term power loss.

In both cases you may have access to a generator, or in the case of a caravan you can use inverters to fitted to your car which will produce 230V, but not in the same quantity as an mains hook up, or hook you caravan up to the cars12V system and at least have some lights working.

So I repeat that a power cut in a caravan is no worse than at home, and in fact it may be easier to cope.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We bought a new Bailey Pageant Bretangue new 2 years ago. We px our previous Swift. We simply swapped the battery over from our Swift to Bailey, just like the gas bottles, water containers etc. No problem.

Annette

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
My simple answer would be to shop at a different dealer. I have always got them to include a new battery as part of the deal.

Once you have got the price sorted out it is these extras that you squeeze out of the dealer that make the deal even better.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi William,

You should have walked away from the deal(buying the caravan and no battery)he would soon have come after you with a battery especially at a time when sales of any items is going through a rough period.I do make my lovely wife feel a bit uncomfortable when I say to her come we'll o else and get a deal and leave the salesman with his gob wide open,they'll come ater you if they want a sale and yo'll get what you want,don't ever be afraid to barter with these people its all part of the excitement of buying a caravan,go for it! or take jo-anne with you she'll give you a few tips.A Happy Christmas to you.Jimbob

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I know it's different for first time buyers and maybe I've just been lucky but every dealer I've ever used to buy a new van has transferred across all the van extras on the morning of the pick up e.g. gas bottles, battery, water bottles.

The last dealer I used offered me 10% discount on anything I bought from his shop on the morning of the pick up despite having had a good deal on the van.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts