No caravans in Algarve ??

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Newbie, so help appreciated ! We're living in Algarve, and looking to buy a caravan for European touring, but main destination will be UK. In Algarve there are loads of visiting motorhomes, but we never see caravans....any idea why ? Is southern Europe too far to tow ? We have big diesel estate, so were hoping to tow caravan, but bit unnerved by no sight of them down here. Thanks, Big Ant

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Big Ant,

We will be down there with our 'van in May and June. It will be the third time in the last four years. But I am a driving fanatic!

However, we've only been going there since retiring (and having plenty of time) - previously, when working it was too far when I only had two week holidays!

This maybe why many British don't get further than France.

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've been touring down to Portugal for some years now in a caravan.A lot of people do the same, have a look around the sites.

You are probably more aware of the motorhomes because a lot of them are wild camping whereas caravans are usually only seen on sites.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Big Ant

Not sure if your looking to buy a caravan, but if you are I have one for sale and I'm not a million miles from you, Malaga in fact, It's a 2001 4 berth, if you're interested give me a call 635982140.

Regards,

Jeff.

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
As mentioned by Keith J the distance from the UK makes the Algarve feel uneconomic for those who are only able to take 2 weeks at a time. In 2001 I persuaded my boss to let me take more than 2 weeks and spent a month in Portugal which included stays at Lisbon, Algarve, Evora, Tomar, and Porto. It was really enjoyable and hope to repeat it when I have taken retirement from my current job (hopefully in 18 months time)

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
The distance to the Algarve from Calais is about 1800 miles, too long for a two week holiday. From Santander only about 750 miles so do able.

However being retired we did not have this problem, so spent 3 months last year (sept-dec)touring Portugal in easy stages finally spending 4 week in Lagos (Turiscampo) and a week in Evora on the way back all with a caravan. The caravan stays on site and travel around in the car works well. Agree with comments about Motorhomes and wild camping, but the comfort of a caravan and not having to tidy up just to pop out for shopping far(I Say) outweighs any advantages claimed for a motorhome. Geo

That may get a few comments?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts