no inside habitation lights on the 12volt side

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you use Facebook there is a wealth of information on the Buccaneer Caravans group. I have been a member of both groups since 2016 and this issue had not been mentioned or I missed it.

If you were near Worcester I would pop over and offer some help as surely it cannot be too difficult tracing the 12v if no fuses have blown?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
bought it private, but will check the switch thanks
If bought privately, did you have the remainder of the warranty transferred into your name? Most items inside the caravan will have 36 month warranty i.e. Thetford etc. Unfortunately I doubt if the 12v issue will be covered under warranty. Do you know the name of the dealership where the previous owner bought it. Name is probably somewhere?

Aug 17, 2024
Visit site
sorry i am in scotland but thanks for offering to help, and i am on face book buccaneer group have posted but didn't get mutch info thanks

Aug 17, 2024
Visit site
If bought privately, did you have the remainder of the warranty transferred into your name? Most items inside the caravan will have 36 month warranty i.e. Thetford etc. Unfortunately I doubt if the 12v issue will be covered under warranty. Do you know the name of the dealership where the previous owner bought it. Name is probably somewhere?
yes got the warrenty transfers into my name, glossop caravans are the supplier, but i am in scotland, ...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi can anyone help, have a buccaneer bermuda 2022 model, but all the inside led lights including the alde screen will not work, have checked the battery its fully charged, have also checked all the fuses, no lights at all, but when you plug in the ehu to the mains every think works, any ideas, thanks in advance.
Does this problem only affect the items you have listed, i.e "all the inside led lights including the alde screen will not work" does i t also affect the water pump, or any other 12V items?

Aug 17, 2024
Visit site
The trouble is dealers do not have to carry out warranty work , if the van didn't come from them.
yes you are right , this needs to be changed in my opinion, its shocking where you buy a caravan privately still under warrenty and most of the dealers will not touch it because you never bought it from them, the you have to take it some one hundreds of miles to be fixed, if you buy a car and any think goes wrong you take it to your nearest dealership and thay fix it, especially what these trailers are now costing...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The trouble is dealers do not have to carry out warranty work , if the van didn't come from them.
I doubt if it will be warranty work as bought privately and they would need to pay for the repair. Most caravan places are happy to have repair work.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
yes you are right , this needs to be changed in my opinion, its shocking where you buy a caravan privately still under warrenty and most of the dealers will not touch it because you never bought it from them, the you have to take it some one hundreds of miles to be fixed, if you buy a car and any think goes wrong you take it to your nearest dealership and thay fix it, especially what these trailers are now costing...
There is a very good reason and that is for example the dealer normally charges £60 an hour, but they only get paid £30 an hour for warranty work which is why they will only do warranty work n caravans bought from them. The caravan industry is a cottage industry with turnover in the low millions. Car manufacturers turn over multi millions in comparison.

Reactions: Dustydog and glc220
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know if you appreciate how Warranty works. Under the law the seller is responsible for the condition and function of goods or services they sell, and that is enshrined in the Consumer Rights Act 2015. These statutory rights are automatically applied when you make a retail purchase, and only apply between the purchaser and the seller.

Some provisions of the CRA also apply to private sales, but generally product breakdowns or wear an tear do not. If a private seller miss sells an item, for example claiming a caravan has no damp problem, but when the buyer gets the caravan its riddled with damp issues, then a common breach of contract has occurred and you could pursue the seller through the small claims court for values under £10K

However many product manufacturers also offer an additional manufacturers warranty, which is entirely separate to the CRA and can never supersede the CRA, You will need to read the terms and conditions of the manufacturer's warranty to see what is covered and how to access it. These warranties can often be transferred to a new owner by contacting the manufacturer.

In theory if you have a valid claim under the manufacturers warranty, any dealer signed up to the scheme can undertake the work, but they are not legally obliged to. And sadly many try to decline such work not becasue of the parts ( which should be supplied by the manufacturer foc, but becasue the labour rates the manufacturer pays is well below the dealers labour costs so dealers will lose money doing manufacturers warranty work.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if you appreciate how Warranty works. Under the law the seller is responsible for the condition and function of goods or services they sell, and that is enshrined in the Consumer Rights Act 2015. These statutory rights are automatically applied when you make a retail purchase, and only apply between the purchaser and the seller.

Some provisions of the CRA also apply to private sales, but generally product breakdowns or wear an tear do not. If a private seller miss sells an item, for example claiming a caravan has no damp problem, but when the buyer gets the caravan its riddled with damp issues, then a common breach of contract has occurred and you could pursue the seller through the small claims court for values under £10K

However many product manufacturers also offer an additional manufacturers warranty, which is entirely separate to the CRA and can never supersede the CRA, You will need to read the terms and conditions of the manufacturer's warranty to see what is covered and how to access it. These warranties can often be transferred to a new owner by contacting the manufacturer.

In theory if you have a valid claim under the manufacturers warranty, any dealer signed up to the scheme can undertake the work, but they are not legally obliged to. And sadly many try to decline such work not becasue of the parts ( which should be supplied by the manufacturer foc, but becasue the labour rates the manufacturer pays is well below the dealers labour costs so dealers will lose money doing manufacturers warranty work.
Just to clarify, a private seller has no responsibility about the goods they sell as long as the description is accurate. I doubt if CRA 2015 can be used in any private sale. If you ask if the caravan has damp and they state No and it later turns out it has damp there is no recourse as it will be difficult to prove in a court of law.

If the private seller describes the article being sold, then the Misrepresentation Act would be used especially if the seller is a trader pretending to be an individual. TS take a very dim view.

As said, the OP needs to bite the bullet and get a dealer or a skilled AWS technician nearest to them to sort it out however I am puzzled why the AWS technician they used could not resolve the issue?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought, to everyone, on the older type of PSU's there was a small fuse inside of the PSU, I can't remember what this did, but does anyone know if this caravan might have something similar. ???

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Just to clarify, a private seller has no responsibility about the goods they sell as long as the description is accurate. I doubt if CRA 2015 can be used in any private sale. If you ask if the caravan has damp and they state No and it later turns out it has damp there is no recourse as it will be difficult to prove in a court of law.

If the private seller describes the article being sold, then the Misrepresentation Act would be used especially if the seller is a trader pretending to be an individual. TS take a very dim view.

As said, the OP needs to bite the bullet and get a dealer or a skilled AWS technician nearest to them to sort it out however I am puzzled why the AWS technician they sued could not resolve the issue?
Why would he sue the technician ?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why would he sue the technician ?
Under the CRA 2015 one could sue the technician especially if they paid the technician to do the repair. Not sure if they sued a AWS technician or someone in the directory. However I have modified my post so thanks for bringing it to my attention. (y) :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

At one time the 3 year appliance warranty required the item to be serviced annually and that isn’t included in the standard annual service, it’s a requested extra. Does that still hold I wonder?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At one time the 3 year appliance warranty required the item to be serviced annually and that isn’t included in the standard annual service, it’s a requested extra. Does that still hold I wonder?
Never had that issue as most items are not serviced, only checked which includes gas appliances.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Never had that issue as most items are not serviced, only checked which includes gas appliances.
That’s what I meant. The annual caravan service doesn’t service the appliances that may have a three year warranty conditional on them being serviced annually. Not a problem if the van is bought from a dealer as they have overall responsibility under consumer law.

Reactions: Buckman
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Does your control panel work - we had a fault on our Bailey recently where there was nothing showing on the panel at all and we only had power to the sockets - turned out that the pcb that links to the control panel was faulty so we had that replaced.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts