no mains power

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi all
I have no mains power when plugged into mains, everything works on 12v.
I have been advised to look for a 20amp fuse on the battery cables as power is getting to the RCD.
Just can't seem to find it.
It's a Compass Corona 2007.
thanks in advance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all
I have no mains power when plugged into mains, everything works on 12v.
I have been advised to look for a 20amp fuse on the battery cables as power is getting to the RCD.
Just can't seem to find it.
It's a Compass Corona 2007.
thanks in advance
Hello Mark,

The 20A fuse on the 12V battery system has absolutely nothing to do with the 230V ac mains supply, so I do not know why you are trying to find the 20A fuse?

The loss of mains in a caravan when power is reaching the RCD is very rare, so your report is somewhat perplexing. Exactly how do you know 230V ac power is getting to the caravans RCD?

If you are using the EHU with a 13A plug adaptor, check the fuse in the 13A plug.

Double check that the EHU cable is properly plugged into the sites power system and and the caravan, and check that is turned on at the source and in the caravans RCD and MCB's. Press the RCD test button, and if its working the RCD should switch off. If it doesn't, it either means you don't have power or the RCD is faulty.

Assuming you are correct about the power at the input to the caravans RCD is correct, then if you are not getting power to any of the 230V sockets or appliances' check the position of the RCD and MCB switches are up ( and stay up) for on.

If the switches appear to be on and you are still not getting power to any of the 230V appliance's or lights, then it suggests the RCD itself could be faulty.

If you are not fully competent with electrics it is strongly advised you seek professional help.

Reactions: Tobes
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The 20 amp fuse is fine, that’s why you have 12 volt power. How do you know power is getting to the RCD, is it getting to the MCB’s?

You don’t sound to sure about power supplies so, if not competent steer clear.

(clashed with the profs post and similar)

John

Reactions: Tobes
Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Hello Mark,

The 20A fuse on the 12V battery system has absolutely nothing to do with the 230V ac mains supply, so I do not know why you are trying to find the 20A fuse?

The loss of mains in a caravan when power is reaching the RCD is very rare, so your report is somewhat perplexing. Exactly how do you know 230V ac power is getting to the caravans RCD?

If you are using the EHU with a 13A plug adaptor, check the fuse in the 13A plug.

Double check that the EHU cable is properly plugged into the sites power system and and the caravan, and check that is turned on at the source and in the caravans RCD and MCB's. Press the RCD test button, and if its working the RCD should switch off. If it doesn't, it either means you don't have power or the RCD is faulty.

Assuming you are correct about the power at the input to the caravans RCD is correct, then if you are not getting power to any of the 230V sockets or appliances' check the position of the RCD and MCB switches are up ( and stay up) for on.

If the switches appear to be on and you are still not getting power to any of the 230V appliance's or lights, then it suggests the RCD itself could be faulty.

If you are not fully competent with electrics it is strongly advised you seek professional help.
I have checked the RCD and it does switch off when I press the test button and all switches are up. The fuse was suggested by the dealer I bought the van from as they've had similar problem.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If you don't have one buy item 95426 from Screwfix. The most useful thing of the three is a contactless mains tester which you just hold near anything that should be carrying mains and it will light up and beep. I have three and only one is in the caravan!! You will also get a mains polarity tester which just plugs into any 13A socket and confirms if all is well, and a digital multimeter.

My guess here would either be a faulty RCD - the trip test is entirely internal but it does not mean mains is escaping. The other end of that is that the output of the RCD is often connected to the MCB inputs by two insulated busbars and it is possible that one of the RCD output connection screws has come loose.

Fixing this problem should be easy enough but DO NOT attempt to resolve it yourself unless you are well competent yo do so. Mains electricity does not forgive.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have checked the RCD and it does switch off when I press the test button and all switches are up. The fuse was suggested by the dealer I bought the van from as they've had similar problem.
I concur with Woodentop, On the face of it your report suggests the either a loose connection or a faulty RCD.

If you do decide to investigate further Please disconnect the EHU from the caravan before opening any devices, and as before if you are at all unsure about any work on mains wiring or equipment dont do it and get it looked by a fully competent person.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I concur with Woodentop, On the face of it your report suggests the either a loose connection or a faulty RCD.

If you do decide to investigate further Please disconnect the EHU from the caravan before opening any devices, and as before if you are at all unsure about any work on mains wiring or equipment dont do it and get it looked by a fully competent person.
Just a silly question.Are you disconnected from the tow vehicle If the answer is no Then there is your problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It may do, (not sure as have not tried it). I think 240 MAY be disabled if the car is connected.

Someone will know.

John
I suspect you are thinking about the habitation relay, which as you say disables several 12V circuits in the caravan when the car is producing 12V through the hitch wiring, but that has no effect on the 230V ac connections.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I had a very similar issue some years ago in our Sterling Europa. I simply unscrewed the power unit, slid it out to find the lead had come away from the connector so I plugged it back in and bingo, all was well.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What type of site are you on, ?
As silver Surfer states the plug into the power unit is normally like a kettle plug, and can come loose,
I had no power when on a site in Dulverton and you had to connect the EHU plug into the bollard and twist it, also see if the CIrcuit breakers on the bollard are in the correct position.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
If you don't have one buy item 95426 from Screwfix. The most useful thing of the three is a contactless mains tester which you just hold near anything that should be carrying mains and it will light up and beep. I have three and only one is in the caravan!! You will also get a mains polarity tester which just plugs into any 13A socket and confirms if all is well, and a digital multimeter.

My guess here would either be a faulty RCD - the trip test is entirely internal but it does not mean mains is escaping. The other end of that is that the output of the RCD is often connected to the MCB inputs by two insulated busbars and it is possible that one of the RCD output connection screws has come loose.

Fixing this problem should be easy enough but DO NOT attempt to resolve it yourself unless you are well competent yo do so. Mains electricity does not forgive.
What type of site are you on, ?
As silver Surfer states the plug into the power unit is normally like a kettle plug, and can come loose,
I had no power when on a site in Dulverton and you had to connect the EHU plug into the bollard and twist it, also see if the CIrcuit breakers on the bollard are in the correct position.
Only on site for one night. Had it plugged in at work earlier today after I spoke to the dealer I bought it from.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm still not sure what you have working and what isn't working, You descriptions are somewhat ambiguous, and I think suggestions on how to undertake fault finding or repairs via the forum might be incorrectly interpreted and lead you into potentially dangerous situations.

If the caravan has only been recently purchased, you are likely to have some warranty with the dealer and I think your best solution is to have the dealer check it over and do any necessary repair work.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
I'm still not sure what you have working and what isn't working, You descriptions are somewhat ambiguous, and I think suggestions on how to undertake fault finding or repairs via the forum might be incorrectly interpreted and lead you into potentially dangerous situations.

If the caravan has only been recently purchased, you are likely to have some warranty with the dealer and I think your best solution is to have the dealer check it over and do any necessary repair work.
It was after my first call to the dealer that suggested the fuse which I couldn't see, My second call spoke to someone different who ask me to check the sockets. So will back on to them today so they can sort.

TRENDING THREADS