No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 34 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
The UK has new massive infrastructure for the future imports of LNG so the government must think it has a future. .....
a much cleaner burn than Oil I believe!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The UK has new massive infrastructure for the future imports of LNG so the government must think it has a future. .....
a much cleaner burn than Oil I believe!
Could it be that our North Sea production and reserves have decreased and the Centrica undersea storage reservoir gave problems a few years back and has now been discontinued? So our gas has to come from somewhere else

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our unit was installed by authorised agents for Mitsubishi. It was also set up by their authorised agent. A day later our home was flooded out due to a leak in the system and over £5k damage. It is serviced every year by the authorised agent.
We have had them out on numerous occasions regarding the machine frosting over and I am talking of ice on the fins nearly an inch think. The agents state that it is working correctly within its parameters.
Either way you have limited hot water if during the day a bath or washing needs to be done. Even if neither a bath or washing is done, by evening the water is only warm.
We are convinced that there is an issue with the installation that they do not want to acknowledge and on the last call they tried to charge stating no fault. It is supposed to defrost automatically, but that is not happening.
Things were a lot simpler with the Bosch boiler and gas as we never had an issue.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'll be doing a lot more research on air source. Thanks Buckman and Prof. I had read install and house insulation are important

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My sister’s holiday let was a converted barn with the heat pump system. It took one day to increase the temp by 1degC. By then they needed it turned down. Far from instant. I suggest before anyone tries this system see one in action. They are not turn key like gas.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My Polestar 2 says "dont go above floor level" - I think they don't want you to get your feet wet. ;-)
Once any car gets into water above floor level, there's an increasing effect of flotation which can easily take all the grip on the lightest axle, making the car prone to being washed away by any side currents.

Anecdotally, Land Rovers can wade in deep water as they leak so much they don't float!

• Haha
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Once any car gets into water above floor level, there's an increasing effect of flotation which can easily take all the grip on the lightest axle, making the car prone to being washed away by any side currents.

Anecdotally, Land Rovers can wade in deep water as they leak so much they don't float!
From experience a LR Defender in deep water was very unpleasant. We did not have those huge air intakes in the sixties and one of our instructions before entering deep water was to remove the fan belt however this was seldom done.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It requires a readjustment of the habits and processes we have all become used to.

Which makes it more of a sideways lurch than a step forward.

I can cut my urban diesel emissions by minimising my trips in urban environments - I'm not ready to spend two days each way on long caravan trips rather than one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Which makes it more of a sideways lurch than a step forward.

I can cut my urban diesel emissions by minimising my trips in urban environments - I'm not ready to spend two days each way on long caravan trips rather than one.
I don’t understand your last sentence. Spending two days on a trip rather than one could increase your overall CO2 emissions, if all aspects are taken into account and not just fuel burn. Although this would have to be compared to your CO2 emissions if you stayed at home the extra night. How complex or what?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don’t understand your last sentence. Spending two days on a trip rather than one could increase your overall CO2 emissions, if all aspects are taken into account and not just fuel burn. Although this would have to be compared to your CO2 emissions if you stayed at home the extra night. How complex or what?
Perhaps they meant that using an EV to tow would take them 2 days to do the long journey? They may then have a point?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good point, thank you. I took it to mean driving more slowly to reduce emissions would take two days instead of one. 🤔
That is also another possible. Goes to show how the written word can be misunderstood. RogerL will probably come back with a totally different answer. :laughing:

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Good point, thank you. I took it to mean driving more slowly to reduce emissions would take two days instead of one. 🤔
I meant that an EV towing would take two days to get to the Highlands because of all the charging stops, rather than one day by diesel towcar.

Reactions: PTA
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I meant that an EV towing would take two days to get to the Highlands because of all the charging stops, rather than one day by diesel towcar.
Though that comes down to personal preference. Many years ago we planned a holiday from South Northants to Morvich (Kyle). We planned in a single stop over night at Bamburgh. The two back to back days of 8 hours of towing each were far too much for me, and the kids and the wife. We broke the return journey into 4 sections (adding Ayr) , rather than the planned 3 (Morvich to Bunree, Bunree to Ayr, Ayr to Bowes, Bowes to home), and since then I wont tow more than 5 hours in a day. It turns out, that fits _me_ very well with an EV, though it may not fit others.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
From Worcester to the Highlands we always take 2 days anyway as it is very tiring driving on the M6 for a couple of hours. Last time we stopped on a very nice commercial site near Carlisle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Recent posts have confirmed what I have repeatedly pointed out, moving to an alternative power such as BEV's requires a change of habits.

Humans hate change, so they will naturally not trust anything new (sometimes with good reason) But sometimes the changes, as Tobe's has pointed out, can work out quite well. It's a different mindset that's needed.

"How can I make it work" vs "It'll never work"

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
From Worcester to the Highlands we always take 2 days anyway as it is very tiring driving on the M6 for a couple of hours. Last time we stopped on a very nice commercial site near Carlisle.
I have no issue towing from Tamworth to Newtonmore in a day, it's 400 miles and takes 7.5 hours plus a couple of comfort breaks although I do ensure it's done at off-peak times.

I find towing on motorways very easy and relaxing, but as I said it's done off-peak.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts