No one about

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly

My girl starts in sept and little fella next sep !! cant begin to imagine what I will do with my time !! Oh just to read a magazine from cover to cover !!!! will miss the little darlings though wont miss the fighting !!!!!

Tina x

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
I'm just off to the gym then a swim. Shan't be reading PC cos I don't buy it.

Girls are you seriously that bored?

I know its not everyone's cup of tea but here's what I did. I retired very young and although I run a couple of part time businesses and dabble in a few other things I found myself with lots of free time (mainly daytime mid-week).

As I missed out on a post school education I decided to go for a degree with the Open University. I find it very fulfilling, challenging, some times hard work but ultimately very satisfying.

While on the subject is there any more OU students out there?

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone

I am trying to get a job, but having been out of work for a few years, I am finding it difficult! Have been to college and done my NVQ hairdressing, French, Clait and English, but I find employers don't want to know as it's been a while since I worked. I thought about doing an ironing service as we live on an RAF base, but don't know where to start! (I LOVE ironing!)

Tina, make the most of it while the kids are at home - you will be bored when the little darlings have gone to school.

If anyone has any suggestions to ease my boredom, please let me know!

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
By the way, Steve, how's your leg?

Shan't be able to have a race on our crutches at easter, should be off mine by the weekend - will be thinking of you though, bless ya!

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone

I am trying to get a job, but having been out of work for a few years, I am finding it difficult! Have been to college and done my NVQ hairdressing, French, Clait and English, but I find employers don't want to know as it's been a while since I worked. I thought about doing an ironing service as we live on an RAF base, but don't know where to start! (I LOVE ironing!)

Tina, make the most of it while the kids are at home - you will be bored when the little darlings have gone to school.

Lolly, have you thought about contacting your local FE College? there are usually a few part time teaching opportunities in some of the subjects you have qualifications in. In my college CLAIT teachers are in demand. Maybe not for you - but just a thought.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Lolly, have you thought about contacting your local FE College? there are usually a few part time teaching opportunities in some of the subjects you have qualifications in. In my college CLAIT teachers are in demand. Maybe not for you - but just a thought.
thanks Tony - worth a thought

Lolly x

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly

The Open University course I am doing is in general sciences. If I wanted to I could walk into a teaching type job tomorrow. OK not as a proper teacher but as a paid teaching assistant. All I would have to do is tailor my course work towards a teaching degree or diploma at the end of which I would become a teacher. You don't even have to ask them. Whenever I get new course material through it is offered. There is a chronic shortage of maths/science/physics type teachers out there and it is seriously that easy if that type of thing appeals.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lolly with the greatest of respect for Martyn's ideas on teaching. I would suggest removal of a limb or a full frontal lobotomy in preference to getting involved with teaching.

"Paid Teaching" assistant is our government getting teaching done on the cheap to try and cover up the mess they have got the education system into.

Apart from the nightmare of amateur management running education authorites and the comedy fiasco of Ofsted and League Tables if you land in the wrong education job or you find a nice education job you are likely to find you life and health turned upside down in a flash.

As soon as some idealistic clown joins the school or some consultant or inspector with no understanding of what many teachers are dealing with then rips yours and the teaching staffs world, career and professional standing apart with glee.

Any one in doubt, I would willingly direct you to the clinics treating people this has happened (Recently and now) to and to those with wrecked lives. Problem is that the powers are keeping a lid on what is happening and a lot of doctors would not allow their frail patients to tell their true stories.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

I assume from your tone that you either are or more likely were a teacher? Certainly what you say is true. I recently purchased a classic car from an early retired head master, early retired for exactly the reasons you quote. On the other hand my brother-in-law is a deputy head and absolutely loves his job. I guess there are always two sides to every coin

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Married to a teacher!

Recent events that I am not able to talk about, including press cover up!

My wife and other friends have been like your brother in law.

He should consider himself on borrowed time I'm afraid, peoples worlds blown apart in a flash through no fault of their own.

Flavour of the age for years and then devastation. Ofsted success one time and with no changes devastated lives the next with employers offering no support.

God help this country as education needs a lot of help.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone

Dog Walking, I hear alot of laughs but you try getting a dog walker its almost impossible they are all booked up around here. And it will give you loads of exersise(not that im suggesting.......)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Cris

I have to agree with what you point out regarding Teachers, I'm married to one, and I am also a governor at two schools. One has just been Ofsteded, and the inspection, team failed to look at and record the evidence of achievement, rather basing their opinions on what were hurried interviews, and 15 to 20 minutes of class room observations, a cursory inaccurate reading of the schools PANDA and

During the process they managed to totally demoralise many of our staff. We actually did a mirror appraisal of the inspection team and a number of professional people were appalled at the attitude of the inspection team toward the children and staff.

The report contains factual errors which show the team did not read the SEF and PANDAs fro the school.

Just as an example of how distorted the new Ofsted inspections are; we have achieved within the top 10% of all schools for the last 5 years and have improved year on year to be within the top 5% last year. The Inspectors comments were that maths was not well founded! (Surveys of secondary schools in the area also show that our primary children consistently are placed in top sets or move to a higher year for many subjects).

We have lodged a formal complaint.

Why do Ofsted inspectors have to be so unpleasant? I can show an inspection system that whilst at first seems daunting, but most businesses end up welcoming the surveillance visits (at least twice year) and find the process is both positive and economic.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Please understand that I am not having a go at you John.

With what you say and your wifes job the same as my wife you have a good idea of what is happening in your schools.

My wife is also a Govenor, but we have scenario's where Govenors only attend meetings and have no Idea of what goes on in the schools.

I wouldn't let someone with no experience in my business any where near a govenors roll in it. I think govenors and Ofsted and Consultants should be replaced by working teachers winding down from full time teaching towards retirement.

In their last few years before retirement they could slowly drop teaching a day a week and spend time doing these other rolls so that people with experience and current working knowlege of the teaching world and its problems are guiding the uture of our schools.

Maany LEA jobs could be done the same way so that the LEA is run by people with a foot in the camps where the action happens instaed of spending time in offices remote from schools and attending expensive hotels for talks, lectures and conferences that have little to do with the real world of school's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts