No Power from 240v Sockets

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi All
We’re new to adventures with a new to us, but very secondhand 2001 Swift Conqueror 640 SAL.

while doing some new season preparation, I used some power tools plugged into the caravan sockets.
All was well, until it wasn’t.
We have the ESM2000 isolator with 3 MCB’s
The MCBs powering the Fridge/Battery Charge and the Lights all are fine, but nothing from the 10A main sockets.

Am I correct in assuming this points to the 10A MCB?

could there be a different issue?

Yes, I have plugged in low draw items into each of the power sockets with the same result which is why I think it’s the MCB.
Any and all constructive help appreciative.

thanks in advance 👍

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You haven’t mentioned whether this is your first time on a caravan, may sound stupid but have you got the EHU lead plugged in to a supply and to the caravan socket?

BP

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
hi
Not complete newbie, but fairly new.

I have the EHU plugged in at both ends and have checked the fuse in the 13a plug as well as used a secondary (brand new ) EHU lead.

I know I have power in as my 3 way fridge is selected to mains power and lights up. The fridge is on a separate 6A fuse that also charges the battery.

I’ve been a memory a number of times, so I’ve tried to trouble shoot logically.

thanks

Attachments

• B150DBFD-15B8-46E6-BEB4-FBF77EEDAB26.jpeg
    B150DBFD-15B8-46E6-BEB4-FBF77EEDAB26.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.

If I read correctly two circuits are working and one isn’t. If the sockets are wired as a ring, you may have lost continuity at some point. Check that first. If you are not confident find someone who is.

Try/test all sockets. Follow the wire around from one to the other.

But you could be right. Try switching the trip a few times. Otherwise, if it is the MCB these can be changed individually and are quite cheap.

An electrician should sort this quickly and easily for not too much money.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the lights and fridge circuits are working, then it really does point to the 10A mcb being faulty, requiring its replacement or possibly a loose connection.

It should go without saying only attempt a repair if you are competent.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
hi
Not complete newbie, but fairly new.

I have the EHU plugged in at both ends and have checked the fuse in the 13a plug as well as used a secondary (brand new ) EHU lead.

I know I have power in as my 3 way fridge is selected to mains power and lights up. The fridge is on a separate 6A fuse that also charges the battery.

I’ve been a memory a number of times, so I’ve tried to trouble shoot logically.

thanks
Worth noting - the fridge light _may_ be powered by the 12v battery, so this is not a definite check on the mains working, unless the light goes out when you power off the EHU. Same for the lights (if they are 12v).

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
I’ve checked both the lights and fridge.
The fridge light doesn’t come on when in mains mode when the EHU is pulled, but does when 12v mode is selected.

lights also work on both, big difference being the brightness when the EHU is plugged in.

Are there other tests I can do to isolate the issue ?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I’ve checked both the lights and fridge.
The fridge light doesn’t come on when in mains mode when the EHU is pulled, but does when 12v mode is selected.

lights also work on both, big difference being the brightness when the EHU is plugged in.

Are there other tests I can do to isolate the issue ?

An electrician would just use a tester to locate the fault.

For the fridge, leave it on for half an hour then feel if the exhaust is getting warm.

Are some of the lights mains? are they working?

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
You have Hager MCBs which are vastly better than those (Chinese) that you will find in a modern caravan.

First, with EHU connected and powered up have you tried pressing the RCD test button to see if it works? If so then be logical by switching all NCBs off and then finding which MCB controls what for definite.

If you don't have the kit get item 95426 from Screwfix. It comprises a mains polarity tester plug, a small digital multimeter, and the most useful - a non contact mains tester. Just hold it near anything live and it will light up and beep. Easiest way to find ANY mains fault, caravan or at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts