No power to fridge

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
When fridge is plugged into car socket,it does not work, the red light on fridge is flashing.Had socket checked,there is power to socket,works on gas and mains, any ideas thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It would be worth checking the cable size,connections and where its been connected on the car .If Scotchlocks have been used or thin cable this could affect the fridge performance.

The other fault that springs to mind is the 12V heater element but if the light is flickering it could just be a poor wiring job.If it reads 12V it doesn't mean that the cabling will pass the current needed.My first attempt to make a fridge work on 12V involved running a 12N extension lead (made for the job) across inside the van.On arrival the insulation was very soft and very warm.You only have to look at the melting of the centre pin earth return syndrome to see what a load is put on the cable.You should also check the earth connections to the centre pin as this would have a marked effect if not wired with thick enough cable and connected to a good earthing point on the car.

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
It would be worth checking the cable size,connections and where its been connected on the car .If Scotchlocks have been used or thin cable this could affect the fridge performance.

The other fault that springs to mind is the 12V heater element but if the light is flickering it could just be a poor wiring job.If it reads 12V it doesn't mean that the cabling will pass the current needed.My first attempt to make a fridge work on 12V involved running a 12N extension lead (made for the job) across inside the van.On arrival the insulation was very soft and very warm.You only have to look at the melting of the centre pin earth return syndrome to see what a load is put on the cable.You should also check the earth connections to the centre pin as this would have a marked effect if not wired with thick enough cable and connected to a good earthing point on the car.
Thanks for your help,will get that sorted

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I should have also said check the relay in the car boot.If its the old mechanical type and you can hear it clicking when the engine is running then it could be faulty. The newer electronic relays may have an adjustment depending on the model.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Judy,

With no disrespect intended, The difficulties you are having are often down to having incorrect or no instructions for the appliance or caravan. To complicate matters, the standards for wiring the sockets on cars have changed, and this can prevent some caravan and cars from working together as expected. It is my experience that it is best to have the combined outfit checked by a suitable electrician who can check all the relevant wiring and plugs first hand. You also get some indemnity with any repairs he/she carries out.

For what it is worth, it sounds as though you may have got a fridge with a 12V gas re-igniter. These have a red switch that flashes so you can see if the gas has gone out. There is usually at least one other or possible two other switches that allow you to select 230V mains or 12V dc cooling.

A note for Tony, I think you will find that which ever power option you choose you should get comparable cooling performance as always, it does require the appliance and wiring have been installed correctly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Judy,

With no disrespect intended, The difficulties you are having are often down to having incorrect or no instructions for the appliance or caravan. To complicate matters, the standards for wiring the sockets on cars have changed, and this can prevent some caravan and cars from working together as expected. It is my experience that it is best to have the combined outfit checked by a suitable electrician who can check all the relevant wiring and plugs first hand. You also get some indemnity with any repairs he/she carries out.

For what it is worth, it sounds as though you may have got a fridge with a 12V gas re-igniter. These have a red switch that flashes so you can see if the gas has gone out. There is usually at least one other or possible two other switches that allow you to select 230V mains or 12V dc cooling.

A note for Tony, I think you will find that which ever power option you choose you should get comparable cooling performance as always, it does require the appliance and wiring have been installed correctly.
John agree with what you are saying.I thought that on 12V the fridge got cooler if anything as there was until some recent fridges no thermostat to turn the element off.Certainly we have towed to Spain in hot weather and the fridges have kept very cold on tow all day.

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
Not offended,have followed instructions from caravan book,works great on gas and mains.The red light is nothing to do with gas,getting towbar checked again today ,then caravan next week.And go from there,thank you for all your advice.

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
Not offended,have followed instructions from caravan book,works great on gas and mains.The red light is nothing to do with gas,getting towbar checked again today ,then caravan next week.And go from there,thank you for all your advice.
Bad news, the garage who put the towbar on,pulled a fast one.Did not wire up the towbar correctly,now it will cost extra to put right ,thanks for all your advice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Judy I'm glad that you are getting somewhere albeit at extra cost.I remember having a Fiat 131 wired by the main agent and asking them to put a heavy feed to the fridge.When it was checked they had just wired to the boot light instead of from the battery via a relay

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
Judy I'm glad that you are getting somewhere albeit at extra cost.I remember having a Fiat 131 wired by the main agent and asking them to put a heavy feed to the fridge.When it was checked they had just wired to the boot light instead of from the battery via a relay
Think i went to a bunch of cowboys, always learn by your mistakes i did,even thought it will cost me,once again thank you for your help john.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts