No Smoking Please - We're French!

Dec 15, 2005
Visit site
Some important info for those of you planning on coming to France for your holidays:-

On 1 February 2007 additional smoking restrictions came into effect in France. The primary objective of these bans is to limit non-smokers' exposure to passive smoking in public or communal places.

It is forbidden to smoke in the following places:

Offices/the workplace: In any office building, in both private offices and communal areas (reception and board rooms, canteens, washrooms, gym and sports areas).

Public transport: On any public transport (trains, trams, ferries, buses, ski lifts).

Schools: Anywhere on the property - indoors and outdoor grounds - of schools and colleges.

Leisure venues: At the sport and recreation facilities used by children under 18 years. Indoors and outdoors sport arenas, fields, gymnasia and halls used by schools, colleges or children's associations.

Administrative buildings: The public access areas and individual offices, passageways and waiting rooms of all administrative buildings. Where a specific smoking area is not provided, smokers (staff and visitors) may only smoke outside.

Medical facilities: In hospitals, clinics and other medical facilities (except in private hospital rooms where conditions apply).

In January 2008 the ban will extend to coffee bars and cafÇs, hotels, restaurants, discotheques and tobacconists.

Smoking Areas:

Organisations and employers may provide separate smokers' areas although certain criteria must be adhered to.

An acceptable smoking area has the following:

Must be properly ventilated

Must have automatic doors

May not be part of a passageway or foyer

Must not be larger than 32m2

From JANUARY 1st 2008, France will become a NO SMOKING country.

Fines are currently 65_ per individual caught and 130_ for the person who owns the place where the individual was smoking. Not only are the police vigilant, but locals are denouncing offenders too! On the positive side, the government are funding various anti-smoking medications (gum, patches etc) for those who have decided that this is a good time to give up.

Visitors are politely reminded to look around them for smoking/non-smoking signs before lighting up!

Further Information:

Information line Tel: 0825 309 310 (Monday to Saturday 08:00-20:00)

Comprehensive details (in French) on website tabac.gouv.fr

Information from the French Government website Service Public (in French).

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Can't wait to go to France in July. Went to Scotland in the Autumn where they've got clean air as well! It was wonderful to be able to go to places without ending up attached to my Ventolin inhaler and knowing I wasn't going to get back to the caravan wearing 'Eau de Ashtray'. I know some people enjoy that sort of 'fragrance' but not me! British Columbia was good and clean in 2000 as well. Can't wait for England to catch up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts